This kid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have recently completed a BTEC course as well an English GCSE resit. After my track had not updated(following days after results) i found i had to send my English results to the uni, the results i sent were a scan of provisional results i had received on the 12th. The uni has now informed me that i need to send the official certificate (scan) once i have received it, they have also stated that if the final result is a grade D(which my provisional results show) then they could not accept me.
This is news to me as my teacher for my resit stated that you should be able to do a GCSE retake at uni and thus that the uni(s) should accept you if you fail to meet the grade (concerning GCSE)

my questions are
1. When would people in my position (who have redone GCSE(s) at college) receive the official certificate?
2. Does this years grade boundaries apply to IGCSE's as well?
3. Would it be possible to get a remake on the paper and provided i can get a C, still make it into said uni.
4. Is it possible to redo a GCSE at uni (as what i originally thought)

Thanks for you attention and help.
BTW I meet and exceeded what was required of my BTEC Grades
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by This kid)
I have recently completed a BTEC course as well an English GCSE resit. After my track had not updated(following days after results) i found i had to send my English results to the uni, the results i sent were a scan of provisional results i had received on the 12th. The uni has now informed me that i need to send the official certificate (scan) once i have received it, they have also stated that if the final result is a grade D(which my provisional results show) then they could not accept me.
This is news to me as my teacher for my resit stated that you should be able to do a GCSE retake at uni and thus that the uni(s) should accept you if you fail to meet the grade (concerning GCSE)

my questions are
1. When would people in my position (who have redone GCSE(s) at college) receive the official certificate?
3. Would it be possible to get a remake on the paper and provided i can get a C, still make it into said uni.

GCSE results aren't out until tomorrow. Where did this 'provisional' result come from? You haven't got an official grade to show them yet and you may have had all this for nothing.

Certificates come out in November - ish, to allow for all the remarks to be over.
Grade boundaries can change every year.
You can get a remark but the university is not obliged to keep your place for you. They may offer a place for next year.
You can take a GCSE anywhere/anytime you like, since you would be a private candidate and it has nothing to do with the university. I don't think your teacher has been particularly helpful if you were told that universities don't care if you make the terms of their offer or not. If they want a GCSE grade, they want it, and they are much less flexible on this than on higher level qualifications.
This kid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
GCSE results aren't out until tomorrow. Where did this 'provisional' result come from? You haven't got an official grade to show them yet and you may have had all this for nothing.

Certificates come out in November - ish, to allow for all the remarks to be over.
Grade boundaries can change every year.
You can get a remark but the university is not obliged to keep your place for you. They may offer a place for next year.
You can take a GCSE anywhere/anytime you like, since you would be a private candidate and it has nothing to do with the university. I don't think your teacher has been particularly helpful if you were told that universities don't care if you make the terms of their offer or not. If they want a GCSE grade, they want it, and they are much less flexible on this than on higher level qualifications.
The results i have now came in the post last Wednesday(one piece of paper " University of Cambridge" "Provisional Results Information" "IGCSE" etc) , it states in fine print "This Provisional Results information is not an official document and is for information only"( i know i sent the wrong document, i was concerned as to these "Official results") . Are you saying the upon the release of the results tomorrow that my firm and insurance offer will automatically receive these results as official?, and that the result might be different? .

As I can redo a GCSE at any time why should the uni not let me in provided i can Finnish the course with it at a pass (C)

How would i go about inquiring for a remark?

thanks for your reply
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The results i have now came in the post last Wednesday(one piece of paper " University of Cambridge" "Provisional Results Information" "IGCSE" etc) , it states in fine print "This Provisional Results information is not an official document and is for information only"( i know i sent the wrong document, i was concerned as to these "Official results" . Are you saying the upon the release of the results tomorrow that my firm and insurance offer will automatically receive these results as official?, and that the result might be different? .

As I can redo a GCSE at any time why should the uni not let me in provided i can Finnish the course with it at a pass (C)

How would i go about inquiring for a remark?

thanks for your reply
Universities do not automatically receive GCSE results, unlike A levels. It's up to the applicant to send them themselves. I doubt the result will change, tbh, but I haven't heard of a candidate getting provisional results individually like this before. This would be an issue for the school's exams officer, which I'm not, so you might be better off asking yours. That's who you need to talk to about a remark, anyway.

The university won't let you in without the grade because they want the work they are setting you to be completed by somebody working at a C level from the outset, not by the end of the course.
ICT Geek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

my questions are

May I ask if u go valentines high school
This kid
Rep:
?
(Original post by ICT Geek)
May I ask if u go valentines high school
No I did not go to that school, sorry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads