Intercalation - how did you choose what to research? Watch

Kali13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all, I'm a bit stuck on how to go about choosing what to do in my intercalation year. My med school has sofa given us no info & knowing me I'm going to need to start thinking about it early! I'm mainly confused about the process, can you choose to do whatever you like or do you have to do something related to research that someone in the faculty is doing? I'd be interested in knowing how otter people made a start
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It can be anything, as long as a faculty member is willing to supervise the project. Obviously they're more likely to supervise projects directly related to the research they're doing, but any topic in the same field tends to be okay. You just pick whatever you find interesting, and whatever you think is a good - preferably original - research question.
Kali13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
It can be anything, as long as a faculty member is willing to supervise the project. Obviously they're more likely to supervise projects directly related to the research they're doing, but any topic in the same field tends to be okay. You just pick whatever you find interesting, and whatever you think is a good - preferably original - research question.
Thanks, that's good to know I just feel like I don't know how to get started with narrowing things down when the options are practically limitless!
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kali13)
Thanks, that's good to know I just feel like I don't know how to get started with narrowing things down when the options are practically limitless!
What subject is your intercalated degree going to be in? That'll help you decide what type of project you'd rather do (lab-based scientific work? Trial? Epidemiological work? Review or analysis? You should know which one of these sounds more exciting to you!).
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it depends to an extent on your University as well. For ours we got given a list of potential labs and supervisors and we had to look through their interests and output and then contact a certain number asking if we could join their group for the year. Then I think most people were given their topic to research by the lab they eventually chose, because at the end of the day you are contributing to the lab's output so it's your supervisor who directs what you do.
Kali13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
What subject is your intercalated degree going to be in? That'll help you decide what type of project you'd rather do (lab-based scientific work? Trial? Epidemiological work? Review or analysis? You should know which one of these sounds more exciting to you!).
I'm not even sure on subject yet :ashamed2:
As for type, I'm not too fussy as long as it's not epidemiology!
Kali13
Rep:
?
(Original post by seaholme)
I think it depends to an extent on your University as well. For ours we got given a list of potential labs and supervisors and we had to look through their interests and output and then contact a certain number asking if we could join their group for the year. Then I think most people were given their topic to research by the lab they eventually chose, because at the end of the day you are contributing to the lab's output so it's your supervisor who directs what you do.
Thanks, I wondered if it might be something like that. Might actually be a relief to be told what to do - less stressful lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (115)
17.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.3%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.85%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.02%

Watched Threads