Are my A-Levels too soft? Watch

InnocentAngel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I can't make up my mind about my A level choices. Ideally I would like to study something creative eg. graphic design, advertising but my backup is modern languages.

So I'm thinking about taking: Art and design (Btec because the A level one is Fine art), German, Media Studies and English Literature.
I'm not sure about the Media studies and English as I've heard that Media studies is not respected and I find english language far more interesting.
Would they be too 'soft' if I did english language?
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Check uni course requirements,

if they are enough to get you to you goal university then how can they be soft?

you will have achieved what you want, you are right about views towards Media studies, however, if you are applying for a related degree I fail to see how it can hinder your application, you will probably find Art and Media the best preparation for uni if you apply for a degree in that area, also the BTEC in Art is actually quite respected, it is accepted by Oxford to study a BA in Fine Art and they even say it could provide better preparation than A levels, most people at my college who did A levels (and wanted to do Art at uni) had to do an Art Foundation course, however the ones that did the BTEC didnt because they already had a substantial enough portfolio to show universities.

in regards to English I believe that Lit is more respected but i wouldnt worry, how respected certain subjects are is such *******s because surely it should all be relative to the area youre studying in? for example if a uni wants to see 'facilitating' subjects and the applicant is applying for Electronic Engineering they could study Maths, English Lit and Geography (3 facilitating subjects) or they could study Maths, Electronics and Computing (1 facilitating subject) but with the same grades who do you think would be more prepared? of course its the latter, the same applies to you Media and Art aren't 'facilitating' subjects but for a degree in something creative like Graphic Design, Digital or Creative Media, Multimedia Production etc. they will certainly provide better preparation than a load of unrelated academic subjects.

Hope this helps
Docjones1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnocentAngel)
I can't make up my mind about my A level choices. Ideally I would like to study something creative eg. graphic design, advertising but my backup is modern languages.

So I'm thinking about taking: Art and design (Btec because the A level one is Fine art), German, Media Studies and English Literature.
I'm not sure about the Media studies and English as I've heard that Media studies is not respected and I find english language far more interesting.
English language is less 'soft' but don't hope to do any science based subjects if you go with that. Think carefully based on what degree you would do and your future.
reeceb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You shouldn't worry about that, you should just do the subjects you enjoy and are good at. You can either waste your time being miserable doing subjects you aren't passionate about or do the subjects you really enjoy and make a happy career for yourself. Isn't there some sort of statistic that says Russel group universities don't discriminate against a level and btec choices? So it wouldn't matter anyway.
Docjones1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by reeceb)
Isn't there some sort of statistic that says Russel group universities don't discriminate against a level and btec choices?
No
The Warsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Eng Lit and German are very good choices!
Jooooshy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Docjones1)
English language is less 'soft' but don't hope to do any science based subjects if you go with that. Think carefully based on what degree you would do and your future.
English language is far softer than English literature.
Ninjasrule
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
English Lit isn't weak and German definitely isn't. If you're wanting to do a BA, you've got a really good set of subjects there
Jooooshy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Isn't there some sort of statistic that says Russel group universities don't discriminate against a level and btec choices? So it wouldn't matter anyway.
Considering RG published a list of what they think are 'facilitating subjects', I find it hard to believe!
Jooooshy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnocentAngel)

As mentioned, German and English are very strong subjects

Have you looked at the English language A-level spec? From what I've heard, it's nothing like it is at GCSE.

To touch on something else: are you sure you'll be able to manage 3 A-levels and a BTEC? That's a lot of work, especially since art and design BTEC has a reputation for being time-consuming.
reeceb
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jooooshy)
Considering RG published a list of what they think are 'facilitating subjects', I find it hard to believe!

The quote i was talking about was this one taken directly from their website:
What subjects do you think are 'hard' or 'soft'?The Russell Group does not define subjects in this way.
Jooooshy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The quote i was talking about was this one taken directly from their website:
What subjects do you think are 'hard' or 'soft'?The Russell Group does not define subjects in this way.
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/russel...ty-admissions/

EDIT: that is also not a statistic, as you described it..
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They dont discriminate and for the OP's degree choice the BTEC and more vocational A levels would provide better preparation for that degree

A mix of vocational and academic is a great choice imo

I did a Computing based BTEC a few years ago and people from my class got into some excellent universities (some RG) including: Southampton, Kings College London, Bath, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Manchester, Reading, Cardiff
(this was for Computer Science/Computing/IT though)
reeceb
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/russel...ty-admissions/

EDIT: that is also not a statistic, as you described it..
I was recalling it from memory and mistyped it as a statistic.
My point remains the same, this person should still follow their passions and even though many universities do like facilitating subjects (ie their english literature choice), it does depend on what type of career they are going for and whether it is relevant as someone on the forum also said.
Docjones1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
English language is far softer than English literature.
My bad, I misread the OP. Thought he was comparing it to media studies. Although I didn't know that... Thought it was the other way around, huh.
Jooooshy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was recalling it from memory and mistyped it as a statistic.
My point remains the same, this person should still follow their passions and even though many universities do like facilitating subjects (ie their english literature choice), it does depend on what type of career they are going for and whether it is relevant as someone on the forum also said.
I agree with you
Jooooshy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
They dont discriminate
Discrimination is the wrong word, but universities can definitely look unfavourably on an applicant's A-level choices.
Ice Dragon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Docjones1)
No
I applied for Japanese at 3 Russell Group universities and they all gave me a conditional offer. Just to clarify, I did Travel & Tourism, Leisure Studies and Sociology which most people will probably think is one of the softest subject combinations you can do. In my experience, they don't discriminate as long as you show passion/dedication for the subject with a strong personal statement.

To OP, they don't sound soft to me. If you want my advice, go with whichever subjects you think you'll enjoy/excel in
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Discrimination is the wrong word, but universities can definitely look unfavourably on an applicant's A-level choices.
Point taken, yeah but ultimately as long as you meet the requirements, most unis will take you, i had friends who wanted to do Engineering so they took Maths, Physics (the required subjects) and then Photography (which they got an A* in) and he is now a top RG uni studying Mechanical Engineering

I also have a friend at Bristol (3rd for engineering) who did a BTEC in Mechanical Engineering
p.m
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'soft' a levels??? lmao.
you're better of doing a btec if you're wanting to study something creative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%