-Laureliz-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I spent most of last year frustrated and upset over my old, tired laptop. This year I would like to buy myself a decent one to do my coursework on. What do you recommend. Have about £250 to spend 😊
xylas
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by -Laureliz-)
I spent most of last year frustrated and upset over my old, tired laptop. This year I would like to buy myself a decent one to do my coursework on. What do you recommend. Have about £250 to spend 😊
For £250 I would recommend a chrome book. Light, thin but powerful enough to write documents and since everything is cloud-based, all your changes are saved automatically so you don't need to worry about losing important work. In addition, there are other perks from being in google's ecosystem and since it doesn't use costly windows the hardware is nicer than other entry-level laptops.

The alternative of course is to get the cheapest windows 10 laptop since it is a new operating system but then it is much more difficult to find something of quality you probably want.
Just_Another_One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, waht xylas said, chromebooks are good, but if you insit on a windows laptop, buy a hp stream 14 or ausus x205 Very light, no harddisk wear becuase it uses a SSD. (No moving parts a ssd, last very long time) Problem is however, it is very small 32GB, but a sd card or mem stick will be good.Of course with Windows you have to be a bot more careful with viruses, just use common sense of course. Use malwarebytes. (Sorry, for the spelling mistakes,very tired). O
Async
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on what type of coursework you're going to be doing. What type of coursework are you going to do? Word based coursework? Software development type coursework?

It all depends really as some A2 Computing students assuming you are one do a lot of coding and you will need a decent IDE to get yourself in a good position.
-Laureliz-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks to everyone who's replied. Bought a Lenovo laptop in the Amazon sale so was right in budget and will hopefully be a better laptop 😊. My A2 coursework is data processing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads