The Student Room Group

Stealing someone's artwork....what do I do?

So this girl me and my friend know (shes an ex of our mate but thats beside the point here!) has been drawing/sketching pictures of celebrities and still life. Kurt cobain, dave grohl, robin williams, will smith, some old motorbikes, loads of stuff I havent mentioned, and she keeps posting these on facebook, instagram, tumblr, etc. Shes getting tonnes of likes and popularity.

The thing is shes blatently stealing from other people - printing out others images, cropping off the signature, then taking a photo and waiting for the likes to roll in. Me and my friend noticed this when the drawings looked too different. A quick google image search proves shes stealing copyrighted images, and using them as her own.

In my mind this is wrong, the same as if she'd stolen anything else...we've tried to subtly hint to her (stuff like "wow this looks really similar to XYZ image i've seen before") but she still "draws" new images and combs likes out of them...

So what to do, I know its petty but she needs to learn not to steal other property. But i dont know how to do it, we've hinted before but she still continues. How can we stop her?
Make it obvious that you know she is doing that to her
Stop dropping hints and tell her then!
its only a crime if she commands money or services for them otherwise she can be seen as being a fan
Reply 4
Doesn't fb have a report button?
Reply 5
As someone who makes art regularly and works hard to get recognition, I find this type of stuff disgusting. It takes around four to five hours to make a decent portrait of someone and once you've made it, you're proud to call it yours at the end of the day. To simply steal other people's hard work is horrible; it's basically plagiarism and you should do something about it. If you're a nicer person, maybe tell her personally (via messaging) or something. If she stops, great and if she doesn't, and/or blocks you, use your friends account to expose her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Aamna-
As someone who makes art regularly and works hard to get recognition, I find this type of stuff disgusting. It takes around four to five hours to make a decent portrait of someone and once you've made it, you're proud to call it yours at the end of the day. To simply steal other people's hard work is horrible; it's basically plagiarism and you should do something about it. If you're a nicer person, maybe tell her personally (via messaging) or something. If she stops, great and if she doesn't, and/or blocks you, use your friends account to expose her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sounds like a plan, i'll keep you posted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending