The Student Room Group

A levels

my GCSE results day in on Thursday. i'm finding it really hard to pick the right a levels even though i have no idea what i want to do at university. I plan on plan on taking 3 a levels. the subjects are psychology,philosophy,economics,biology. i really want to do psychology as i find it really interesting, yet i really want to get into finance and take economics even though i'm not that great at maths. But then i realized theses subjects don't link together and i'm beginning to think that's a problem. now i want to take biology because economics and psychology have a lot of essays right? whereas biology is just straight forward answers no reasoning.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Take subjects you will enjoy AND get a career out of. Good luck for tomorrow. :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Ahmed_248111
my GCSE results day in on Thursday. i'm finding it really hard to pick the right a levels even though i have no idea what i want to do at university. I plan on plan on taking 3 a levels. the subjects are psychology,philosophy,economics,biology. i really want to do psychology as i find it really interesting, yet i really want to get into finance and take economics even though i'm not that great at maths. But then i realized theses subjects don't link together and i'm beginning to think that's a problem. now i want to take biology because economics and psychology have a lot of essays right? whereas biology is just straight forward answers no reasoning.

Thanks in advance.

If you're going the easy-route now, I don't think uni is for you, mate...
Hi. If I were you I'd pick the topic you're passionate in (one or the other) and base my subjects around them. However there's no problem in what you're doing, just make sure you have the correct (desired) choices for the degrees. I took OCR biology AS level last academic year (they are quite similar by exam board or so I've heard.) The questions are straightforward in general but here are obviously 6 markers, although what you should put is fairly obvious if you get the content down. I'd say it's on par to be one of the most challenging subjects (biology has less need for good technique than chemistry but has much more content to remember.) it is very difficult but it is also very rewarding and opens up a huge amount of opportunity for further education.
Original post by Eanzi
If you're going the easy-route now, I don't think uni is for you, mate...

I might have misinterpreted what they said but I feel they mean they like the answers to be definite, rather than having to dance around the an arbitrary opinion based point, which I can sympathise with him. As opposed to them simply wanting less work.
Reply 5
Original post by Docjones1
I might have misinterpreted what they said but I feel they mean they like the answers to be definite, rather than having to dance around the an arbitrary opinion based point, which I can sympathise with him. As opposed to them simply wanting less work.

'straight forward answers no reasoning.'

you need to reason in science... more so than other subjects, even. most uni courses will be essay based, so avoiding it now will just prolong the inevitable.
I'm sorry, but if you think Biology as an A-Level would be straight forward, it won't be. I did AQA Biology and the questions are difficult due to there being several ways of answering it. It's not so simple as to there only being one answer available. Also if you are going for non-essay subjects, Unit 5 AQA Biology has a 6 page essay. No A-level is easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ahmed_248111
now i want to take biology because economics and psychology have a lot of essays right? whereas biology is just straight forward answers no reasoning.

I don't know whether it's true for all exam boards but for WJEC Biology at least there is always a 10-mark essay question at the end of every exam. And no, Biology is not easy/straightforward and yes, it does in fact require reasoning. :tongue: A-levels are not like GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest