The Student Room Group

Getting into Medicine

Hi guyz,
I'm quite dedicated to getting into Medicine, and only medicine since I havent thought of anything else besides it.
This year my grades were very disappointing, to my surprise. I got C and below.
One of my friends told me best option is to go for a Foundation Year.
What are the unheard of things about Foundation Year, like the inside truth if you like, is it hard to get into? Whats the inside information about it? And should Foundation Year be my only choice? I do intend of resitting my AS modules next year to bring them up definately. But for now Im unsure where to go next. Hope one of you can help me out. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Abz_A786
Hi guyz,
I'm quite dedicated to getting into Medicine, and only medicine since I havent thought of anything else besides it.
What are the unheard of things about Foundation Year, like the inside truth if you like, is it hard to get into? Whats the inside information about it? And should Foundation Year be my only choice? I do intend of resitting my AS modules next year to bring them up definately. But for now Im unsure where to go next. Hope one of you can help me out. Thanks.

Do your A levels, get good grades, apply next year for normal UG medicine.
and only medicine since I havent thought of anything else besides it.

Do you not consider this a problem?
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
Do you not consider this a problem?

No, because I only want to do medicine. Nothing else interests me. I understand at this stage, my grades might not reflect the standards of a medical student, but that was due to other circumstances which will be adressed this upcoming year hopefully, so I'm looking for all the ways to get into it, because it is the degree of my choice. And without external factors playing, I believe I have the potential. iA
Reply 4
Original post by xylas
Do your A levels, get good grades, apply next year for normal UG medicine.

That's the gap year route youre stating arent you? That was my initial plan, but foundation year seems as a better and less sophisticated route, as I was adviced.
Reply 5
That's the gap year route youre stating arent you? That was my initial plan, but foundation year seems as a better and less sophisticated route, as I was adviced.

If you know what you want to do why are you asking? You have heard what I think is better (and I would know more than your friend believe me) so take it or leave it.
Reply 6
Original post by xylas
If you know what you want to do why are you asking? You have heard what I think is better (and I would know more than your friend believe me) so take it or leave it.

If you can correctly take from my message, I am not decided on which option is right for me, I have only been advised by my experiened friend, so just wanted to see if anyone else agrees or have had to go through a similar consideration in the past.

And how can you reassure me you know more than my knowledgable friend?

Thanks for your msg anyway
Medicine with a foundation year is generally for people who have good grades, but in non-science subjects. Or sometimes for those from disadvantaged backgrounds with lower grades. You can see if you meet the entry requirements for any such course here.

Another option is to do an access course, which may be better suited to your situation. However, do keep in mind that not all access courses guarantee a place at medical school upon completion, but simply give you the sufficient academic background to apply.

No, because I only want to do medicine. Nothing else interests me. I understand at this stage, my grades might not reflect the standards of a medical student, but that was due to other circumstances which will be adressed this upcoming year hopefully, so I'm looking for all the ways to get into it, because it is the degree of my choice. And without external factors playing, I believe I have the potential. iA

How do you know nothing else interests you if you haven't even thought about it!? Let alone researched other career options :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Asklepios
Medicine with a foundation year is generally for people who have good grades, but in non-science subjects. Or sometimes for those from disadvantaged backgrounds with lower grades. You can see if you meet the entry requirements for any such course here.

Another option is to do an access course, which may be better suited to your situation. However, do keep in mind that not all access courses guarantee a place at medical school upon completion, but simply give you the sufficient academic background to apply.

How do you know nothing else interests you if you haven't even thought about it!? Let alone researched other career options :tongue:

Mate my heart is set to Medicine. Nothing else does interest me, or will. I know myself very well, I've wanted to do medicine since a young age. Nothing else will interest me. Ive assessed what other degrees and professions entail. None of them suit me.
Reply 9
If you can correctly take from my message, I am not decided on which option is right for me, I have only been advised by my experiened friend, so just wanted to see if anyone else agrees or have had to go through a similar consideration in the past.

And how can you reassure me you know more than my knowledgable friend?

Thanks for your msg anyway

I have been there done that, your friend hasn't. Listen to him if you know best.
Reply 10
Original post by xylas
I have been there done that, your friend hasn't. Listen to him if you know best.

What have you done? Sorry not challenging you, just want to know a bit of your background and jounrey? What did you study?
Reply 11
Mate my heart is set to Medicine. Nothing else does interest me, or will. I know myself very well, I've wanted to do medicine since a young age. Nothing else will interest me. Ive assessed what other degrees and professions entail. None of them suit me.

I am a new med student, starting in September, and I completely understand how you feel - but it really is in your interest to research a back-up plan :smile: I found it heart breaking as I planned mine (A2 chemistry went badly, but by a miracle they still let me in anyway)- but I knew it would be essential to have a fall back in place. As I'm sure you know, medicine is insanely competitive. Just start thinking about it...

But anyway, on the topic of this thread-
Are you definitely not being predicted AAA? This is the only factor preventing you from applying to normal medicine courses during this cycle.

Foundation medicine courses are usually not available to people who have studied chemistry, but check the university websites- you may be in luck :smile:
However, I would advise the gap year root. Work super hard during A2, and achieve AAA before applying - this even gives you extra time to get more confidence and experience.
Reply 12

Your grades don't really reflect what you say
Reply 13
Hi guyz,

Basically i applied for medicine with a foundation year at Southampton and nottingham last year, was offered interview but then rejected. Got BBCC at AS. There is still hope! Get predicted BBC, if not then dont bother applying to the foundation courses. Instead take a gap year, pull the Cs and Ds to As and apply for 5 year undergrad. It is possible if u revise constantly (something which i should have done)
Reply 14
Original post by Ezme39
I am a new med student, starting in September, and I completely understand how you feel - but it really is in your interest to research a back-up plan :smile: I found it heart breaking as I planned mine (A2 chemistry went badly, but by a miracle they still let me in anyway)- but I knew it would be essential to have a fall back in place. As I'm sure you know, medicine is insanely competitive. Just start thinking about it...

But anyway, on the topic of this thread-
Are you definitely not being predicted AAA? This is the only factor preventing you from applying to normal medicine courses during this cycle.

Foundation medicine courses are usually not available to people who have studied chemistry, but check the university websites- you may be in luck :smile:
However, I would advise the gap year root. Work super hard during A2, and achieve AAA before applying - this even gives you extra time to get more confidence and experience.

First of all, thanks a lot mate for your kind reply. Really appreaciate it.
I find it heart-breaking aswell planning a back up as all I've wanted to ever do is Medicine. Maybe Ill have a think about that.
But I definately can't get predicted of AAA. Now im in double minds whether to do gap year or foundation year. Gap year is still an option clear to me, but now that Ive been introduced to this idea of Foundation Year by my friend, ive done quite a bit of research into it and found its for two types of people:
1) who dont have appopriate subjects - like you mentioned
2) who dont have appopriate grades

This interests me more, as it guarentees your entry to medicine after the year. But I wanted to know more about this.
I wish you all the best anyways for your degree, and welldone for getting in. Do you mind if I ask you your journey to getting into Med School. AS ? A2? grades? any gap year? just the whole journey.

Thanks a lot again mate
Reply 15
Original post by 2en1
Basically i applied for medicine with a foundation year at Southampton and nottingham last year, was offered interview but then rejected. Got BBCC at AS. There is still hope! Get predicted BBC, if not then dont bother applying to the foundation courses. Instead take a gap year, pull the Cs and Ds to As and apply for 5 year undergrad. It is possible if u revise constantly (something which i should have done)

Thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciate it!
Those two are the universities i want to apply to, so could you please tell me what else they take into consideration? is it gcse, ukcat and AS prediction and work experience and invite you for interview based on that? And then what do you think prevented you from getting in? was interview hard?

Cheers
Reply 16
What have you done? Sorry not challenging you, just want to know a bit of your background and jounrey? What did you study?

Medicine
Reply 17
Thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciate it!
Those two are the universities i want to apply to, so could you please tell me what else they take into consideration? is it gcse, ukcat and AS prediction and work experience and invite you for interview based on that? And then what do you think prevented you from getting in? was interview hard?

Cheers

Ok so... Southampton dont care about ukcat, nottingham do ( i got 580 or 590 average ukcat and sjt band 4! Terrible). I had a reallt good reference, did volunteering and work experience at children's hospital, plus work ex at a pharmacy, volunteered at tuition centre and baking was my hobby. Personal statement is very important! Get teachers to help.

Interviews were SO HARD! There is nowhere to hide. Southampton is more traditional panel interview, nottingham is mmi. Everything is scrutinized.
Reply 18
Original post by 2en1
Ok so... Southampton dont care about ukcat, nottingham do ( i got 580 or 590 average ukcat and sjt band 4! Terrible). I had a reallt good reference, did volunteering and work experience at children's hospital, plus work ex at a pharmacy, volunteered at tuition centre and baking was my hobby. Personal statement is very important! Get teachers to help.

Interviews were SO HARD! There is nowhere to hide. Southampton is more traditional panel interview, nottingham is mmi. Everything is scrutinized.

Would you mind talking to me on a different medium. I think I can benefit a lot from your experiences as I am going through it now, and you seem like someone you know what youre talking about. I think i might need your help. Please.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Would you mind talking to me on a different medium. I think I can benefit a lot from your experiences as I am going through it now, and you seem like someone you know what youre talking about. I think i might need your help. Please.

Yes okay. Happy to help so u can learn from my mistakes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending