Panona
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I think I want to be a nurse anesthetist, however all the resources i can find to research the job, education, and training seem to be from the US. I was wondering if anyone knows what requirements the uk has?

Posted from TSR Mobile
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
CRNA is an American speciality. In the UK, the closest thing we have is a physicians assistant (anaesthesia). It's a role experienced ODPs or anaesthetic assistant trained nurses can move into, however there's a lot of competition to get into it. It's not as well paid as the CRNA role either.

If it's something that interests you then you need to first of all, train as a nurse, then get a job as a theatre nurse, go on and get onto your anaesthetic assistant training, get as much experience as possible following that and then look at applying for training as an anaesthetic PA. It's likely to take several years experience from qualifying as a nurse/ODP to getting into being an anaesthetic PA though so expect a long journey.

While it's great to have an ambition, if you're looking at nursing it's also likely you may encounter an area of nursing that really interests you that different from the one you've thought of here. Advanced practice within nursing is a growing area and there's scope to become an advanced practitioner in loads of different areas of nursing if this is what interests you.
Savahna
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am a student nurse in the UK and very intrested in CRNA . I know it is an American speciality but can overseas students apply?
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Savahna)
I am a student nurse in the UK and very intrested in CRNA . I know it is an American speciality but can overseas students apply?
The role only exists in the US and can only be studied there. You would also need to intend to work in the US, as there is no comparative role in the UK that you could go into once you had completed this training.

You would need to look at entry requirements to see if you meet them and obtain a visa and pass the NCLEX examination at the very minimum. Contacting a training provider over there may help.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Savahna)
I can't answer this tbh, because I don't know. As far as I'm aware it's a very competitive role to get into as a trainee, and you'd have to self fund the training too, which isn't cheap. That's after managing to move over there, pass your NCLEX and find a position that provides you with adequate experience to apply for a training position. The role of a nurse in the US is noticeably different to the UK.

There's a similar role in the U.K., called Physicians Assistant (anaesthesia), you'll find people who have worked as theatre nurses or ODPs moving into this role. Trainee posts can be quite competitive to get into though, however, they're usually funded by the NHS.

https://www.rcoa.ac.uk/anaesthesia-r...nt-anaesthesia

What interests you about the CRNA role in the US?
Federrer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by moonkatt)
I can't answer this tbh, because I don't know. As far as I'm aware it's a very competitive role to get into as a trainee, and you'd have to self fund the training too, which isn't cheap. That's after managing to move over there, pass your NCLEX and find a position that provides you with adequate experience to apply for a training position. The role of a nurse in the US is noticeably different to the UK.

There's a similar role in the U.K., called Physicians Assistant (anaesthesia), you'll find people who have worked as theatre nurses or ODPs moving into this role. Trainee posts can be quite competitive to get into though, however, they're usually funded by the NHS.

https://www.rcoa.ac.uk/anaesthesia-r...nt-anaesthesia

What interests you about the CRNA role in the US?
This is great to know. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
14.8%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.49%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (27)
12.11%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.52%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.83%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
26.91%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.35%

Watched Threads