UK emergency alarm system? Watch

OddestFuture
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I recently visited The Netherlands. Unaware of what was going on, on the first Monday of each month, the country sounds over 4,000 alarms across the country. They are used to alert the population of crises from extreme weather to a nuclear attack. It is said that no matter where you are in the country, you will be able to hear a siren on the first Monday of every month at midday. At first, not knowing what was going on, it was pretty scary! But then after a little research into what it actually was, it got me thinking:

Why doesn't the UK have a system like this? With the terrible flooding in Somerset over the last few years, the growing risk of terror attacks in major cities, etc.? (A nuclear attack is a little far-off in terms of possibility right now, but still shouldn't be ruled off the list). Currently in the UK, there is no sort of alarm system whatsoever. It is said that the BBC, by law, are allowed to 'take over' all broadcasting stations on TV in case of an emergency, and that some UK phone networks have signed up with the government to display emergency notifications in the event of a crisis. What do you think? Should we implement a system like this? Or is it too old fashioned, now that most smartphone users would receive emergency notifications?
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's a good idea, but I personally wouldn't take kindly to being woken up by an alarm designed to be as loud as possible all because on the other side of the country some poor sods' farm was a bit wet.

I'm sure they could localise the alarm system though.
OddestFuture
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
It's a good idea, but I personally wouldn't take kindly to being woken up by an alarm designed to be as loud as possible all because on the other side of the country some poor sods' farm was a bit wet.

I'm sure they could localise the alarm system though.
Haha, oh yeah, of course the system would have to be used on a local council / county-wide system. Or re-instate the RSG system, where the country was divided into regions that would come into effect in the case of an emergency. But instead, use the RSG regions as sort-of siren regions, if that makes any sense?
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We used to have one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANDEL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-minute_warning
OddestFuture
Rep:
?
We did indeed, but the possibility of nuclear war should never be ruled out until all nuclear weapons are, literally, ruled out.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can just imagine the text
*beep beep*
"Dear citizen, World War III has broken out, you have four minutes to flee the country before the nuclear weapons arrive"
"Yours sincerely, HM The Queen"
OddestFuture
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plutonian)
I can just imagine the text
*beep beep*
"Dear citizen, World War III has broken out, you have four minutes to flee the country before the nuclear weapons arrive"
"Yours sincerely, HM The Queen"
haha probably not far off correct! The speech written for the queen in the early 80's that was declassified not long ago is interesting, to say the least.

link to the article & speech transcript for anybody who's interested.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
****ing tornado alert alarm was tested on the first Tuesday of the month during tornado season when I lived in a different state. Damn thing would wake me up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (134)
18.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
9.93%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (127)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (72)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (224)
30.48%

Watched Threads