The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Anyone commuting from Bham to Coventry?

Hi, is anyone going to be commuting from Birmingham to Warwick uni by train? What's the quickest possible way to get there? Is it worth me buying a season ticket?
Mate look at getting accommodation. Trains from Birmingham New Street to Canley are about 30-40 minutes depending. The walk from Canley onto central campus is another 20-25 mins. (you can do trains to Coventry centre and buses to campus but that's going to take ages). I'm also guessing you don't live in Birmingham New Street station, so your door-to-door is going to be both incredibly stressful, likely unreliable and take upwards of an hour; whether it is practical or not depends on how quickly you can get to New Street in the morning. It might not be so terrible if you happen to live close to a station on the New Street - Coventry line, but you'll need to decide what's practical. The walk is going to be especially crap in the rain. If I were you I'd look at getting a car or moving closer to campus. Even the distance wouldn't be so bad if it meant not having to use different transport for different legs
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by JayTeeKay
Mate look at getting accommodation. Trains from Birmingham New Street to Canley are about 30-40 minutes depending. The walk from Canley onto central campus is another 20-25 mins. (you can do trains to Coventry centre and buses to campus but that's going to take ages). I'm also guessing you don't live in Birmingham New Street station, so your door-to-door is going to be both incredibly stressful, likely unreliable and take upwards of an hour; whether it is practical or not depends on how quickly you can get to New Street in the morning. It might not be so terrible if you happen to live close to a station on the New Street - Coventry line, but you'll need to decide what's practical. The walk is going to be especially crap in the rain. If I were you I'd look at getting a car or moving closer to campus. Even the distance wouldn't be so bad if it meant not having to use different transport for different legs

I do agree that the walk from Canley to the campus might be a problem, especially in the rain. However, with a student term pass I can use any bus in the west midlands region, therefore I can get a bus to campus - is that possible? In addition, there are free shuttle buses that are provided by the university from Canley station to the main campus, so I think that makes life a little bit more bearable.
Original post by england100
I do agree that the walk from Canley to the campus might be a problem, especially in the rain. However, with a student term pass I can use any bus in the west midlands region, therefore I can get a bus to campus - is that possible? In addition, there are free shuttle buses that are provided by the university from Canley station to the main campus, so I think that makes life a little bit more bearable.

With regards to your first point, no. The bus routes into Cov from the uni (11 and 12 National Express as I remember, Stagecoach U17 on Sundays) don't really go near Canley station. I mean you can get on a bus for part of that journey, but the stop is more or less on the edge of campus by Cannon Park; you could walk the distance before the next bus came. They do go right by the main station in Coventry city centre, but I'm fairly certain that would take a silly amount of time.

With regards to the shuttle bus, I've never heard of that before. I looked though, and it does seem to be a thing the university do. I guess you're going to have to evaluate:
1) how long it takes to get from home to the station
2) how much contingency time you're willing to leave yourself so that you don't miss the train (I'm guessing 5-10 minutes)
3) how often or likely it is the trains will be delayed, and how long the delays typically are
4) how long the leg of the journey between Canley and campus is likely to take
5) whether the timetables of the above transport links coincide with/are at convenient times for whatever appointments you'll have on campus.
6) whether you're prepared to get up early enough for that journey

I'll have work on campus 9-5ish Monday-Friday and I don't think this is something I'd want to contend with on a daily basis. In addition you're going to feel quite removed from the student bubble, which might be a good thing for you if you're a jaded postgrad, but I'm guessing you'll want at least some social connections from the uni?

My own advice would be to look at renting on campus (probably too late), in Canley/Earlsdon, Coventry or Leamington. If you have a particular reason to need to be in Birmingham often, a house in Canley gives you easy access to both Brum and campus, and a house towards the city centre gives you the same (trains from Coventry station, on a main bus route to campus), a house in Leamington does the same too.

Of course it's your choice, these are just my recommendations.
Reply 4
Original post by JayTeeKay
With regards to your first point, no. The bus routes into Cov from the uni (11 and 12 National Express as I remember, Stagecoach U17 on Sundays) don't really go near Canley station. I mean you can get on a bus for part of that journey, but the stop is more or less on the edge of campus by Cannon Park; you could walk the distance before the next bus came. They do go right by the main station in Coventry city centre, but I'm fairly certain that would take a silly amount of time.

With regards to the shuttle bus, I've never heard of that before. I looked though, and it does seem to be a thing the university do. I guess you're going to have to evaluate:
1) how long it takes to get from home to the station
2) how much contingency time you're willing to leave yourself so that you don't miss the train (I'm guessing 5-10 minutes)
3) how often or likely it is the trains will be delayed, and how long the delays typically are
4) how long the leg of the journey between Canley and campus is likely to take
5) whether the timetables of the above transport links coincide with/are at convenient times for whatever appointments you'll have on campus.
6) whether you're prepared to get up early enough for that journey

I'll have work on campus 9-5ish Monday-Friday and I don't think this is something I'd want to contend with on a daily basis. In addition you're going to feel quite removed from the student bubble, which might be a good thing for you if you're a jaded postgrad, but I'm guessing you'll want at least some social connections from the uni?

My own advice would be to look at renting on campus (probably too late), in Canley/Earlsdon, Coventry or Leamington. If you have a particular reason to need to be in Birmingham often, a house in Canley gives you easy access to both Brum and campus, and a house towards the city centre gives you the same (trains from Coventry station, on a main bus route to campus), a house in Leamington does the same too.

Of course it's your choice, these are just my recommendations.

I appreciate your time and effort to respond, due to personal preferences, I have decided staying home is the best option. I shall take into consideration all the above you have stated.

Do you have any idea when the timetables for the academic year is published?
Reply 5
Hi, is anyone going to be commuting from Birmingham to Warwick uni by train? What's the quickest possible way to get there? Is it worth me buying a season ticket?

Hi, I'll be commuting too! A bit nervous but if I'm honest I don't mind travelling! Depending on how first year goes, I might move into Coventry in the second year.
Reply 6
Original post by Hunkybm
Hi, I'll be commuting too! A bit nervous but if I'm honest I don't mind travelling! Depending on how first year goes, I might move into Coventry in the second year.

It shouldn't be too bad, I have a few friends that travel to coventry university, and from what they have said it is more than plausible. Yes, it makes life a little bit harder, but it's nothing that's unbearable or unmanageable. What are you studying? I'm sure i'll see you around on the trains :smile:
Reply 7

Don't listen to people saying you should live on campus or around the Coventry area. It's up to you and it all depends on what you want and what your tolerant level is. At my past uni I had a friend who drove almost 2 hours each way to get from home to his uni. He was fine. For me personally, I live on the outskirts of Birmingham (Sandwell to be precise) and what I will be doing is driving to my local train station, taking a direct train to Coventry (about 40 minutes) and either a taxi or bus to the university. Total journey time? About 1 hour. Do what you are capable of doing. Do buy a season ticket or even n network unlimited pass. Difference between season and n network is you pay ~£15 more for the n network but it is direct debit every month as opposed to forking out £260 in one go.
Again, all depends on you.

Edit: I also have many friends whom commute from Birmingham to Coventry daily.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by LordAbi
Don't listen to people saying you should live on campus or around the Coventry area. It's up to you and it all depends on what you want and what your tolerant level is. At my past uni I had a friend who drove almost 2 hours each way to get from home to his uni. He was fine. For me personally, I live on the outskirts of Birmingham (Sandwell to be precise) and what I will be doing is driving to my local train station, taking a direct train to Coventry (about 40 minutes) and either a taxi or bus to the university. Total journey time? About 1 hour. Do what you are capable of doing. Do buy a season ticket or even n network unlimited pass. Difference between season and n network is you pay ~£15 more for the n network but it is direct debit every month as opposed to forking out £260 in one go.
Again, all depends on you.

Edit: I also have many friends whom commute from Birmingham to Coventry daily.

For once, a more positive response! My best advice would be to get the student term pass for £260 per term, in addition to being allowed to travel on any train within the west midlands region, you can also use the pass as a buss pass too.
Reply 9
For once, a more positive response! My best advice would be to get the student term pass for £260 per term, in addition to being allowed to travel on any train within the west midlands region, you can also use the pass as a buss pass too.

Both the n network direct debit pass and the student season pass grant you unlimited train tram and bus across West Midlands but the difference between n network is that it can be paid monthly and so you don't need to pay 260 In one go. It's whatever you prefer at the end of the day. I'm still unsure which to go for.
If I recall, you're going to be studying law at Warwick? I'll be studying chemistry myself. Might see you around.
Reply 10
It shouldn't be too bad, I have a few friends that travel to coventry university, and from what they have said it is more than plausible. Yes, it makes life a little bit harder, but it's nothing that's unbearable or unmanageable. What are you studying? I'm sure i'll see you around on the trains :smile:

Hopefully! I'm really excited! I'm doing Maths, yourself?
Reply 11
Original post by LordAbi
Both the n network direct debit pass and the student season pass grant you unlimited train tram and bus across West Midlands but the difference between n network is that it can be paid monthly and so you don't need to pay 260 In one go. It's whatever you prefer at the end of the day. I'm still unsure which to go for.
If I recall, you're going to be studying law at Warwick? I'll be studying chemistry myself. Might see you around.

Yes, i'm going to be doing law :smile: chemistry sounds painfully boring to me (sorry to say :P), but i'm sure i'll see you around for sure :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Hunkybm
Hopefully! I'm really excited! I'm doing Maths, yourself?

I'm going to be doing law :smile: what station are you going to get the train from?
Reply 13
Yes, i'm going to be doing law :smile: chemistry sounds painfully boring to me (sorry to say :P), but i'm sure i'll see you around for sure :smile:

Haha i've said the same about law :P
Which station will you be getting on from? I'll be on from Sandwell and Dudley.
Reply 14
I'm going to be doing law :smile: what station are you going to get the train from?

That's cool, congrats! Birmingham New Street! How about you? I'm quite excited now :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by LordAbi
Haha i've said the same about law :P
Which station will you be getting on from? I'll be on from Sandwell and Dudley.

I'll be getting the train from new street station, I just hope I don't have many 9am lectures. Are you going to use the London Midlands train?
Reply 16
Original post by Hunkybm
That's cool, congrats! Birmingham New Street! How about you? I'm quite excited now :biggrin:

Good, you should be excited, don't let the whole idea of staying at home affect your mentality heading into university. I have many friends who have stayed home and gone to uni, and they have such a wonderful time at university. I'll be getting the train from the same station, I guess i'll be seeing you around for sure :smile:
Reply 17
I'll be getting the train from new street station, I just hope I don't have many 9am lectures. Are you going to use the London Midlands train?

Honestly, i've been getting on and off trains a huge chunk of my life. I don't even look at train services anymore. I just catch the one that's convenient for me that time, that day. As long as it goes to my destination before the time I need it to, that's my train. I buy tickets on the train.

As with the enjoying uni whilst at home, I think it's much better to stay at home if you live local to the uni as opposed to living away. You save £££ too. Better in the long run.

Quick Reply

Latest