The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Eggy Hog
Although I am British, I have lived all my life in France. When I come over to the UK, I am constantly hearing people swearing at each other, at the top of their voices, without any shame whatsoever. This would be almost unthinkable on the continent.
Do you think this is acceptable or have manners and savoir-faire totally disappeared in this country?

do you think its acceptable to push into a que.....personally i think thats much worst mannors than swearing, and the continentals are widely known for their inability to que.

love Katy ***
Reply 41
Eggy Hog
Although I am British, I have lived all my life in France. When I come over to the UK, I am constantly hearing people swearing at each other, at the top of their voices, without any shame whatsoever. This would be almost unthinkable on the continent.
Do you think this is acceptable or have manners and savoir-faire totally disappeared in this country?

i think as long as its not in an offencive manner or intrusive on other people i dont have a problem , but i definately do think there is a time and place for it
Its f*cking ridiculous, how some people can't even string a f*cking sentance together without ******** it makes me sick,

Some time I fell like ** ***** **** and I just want to cry.

You have to *** **** and hold back, then you will **** *******.
Reply 43
:wink: Not in English.
Reply 44
Eggy Hog

I know exactly what you mean. Ever since I came to the UK, all of my professors swear during lectures. It's not taboo at all to them. I couldn't stop giggling when my anthropology teacher encouraged us to "give opinions about foolish shit" concerning how we view english culture.

I don't know if I mind swearing in this country because it's like an everyday thing to them.
Swearing in public does not offend me.But I don't like it when people swear in front of children.
Reply 46
ickle_katy
do you think its acceptable to push into a que.....personally i think thats much worst mannors than swearing, and the continentals are widely known for their inability to que.

love Katy ***

Lol, you just reminded me of something..I had just come off a flight at Heathrow and was queing up for a trolley..when a whole group of iranian people dived in front and went off with them...so we had to que longer to get a trolley and everyone else was swearing their head off..lol
Probably not, although I probably do sometimes. I dont got shouting my head off though.
Reply 48
If people piss me off I will swear as loud as I can in front of everyone and to anyone. I don't see swearing in front of children is a problem considering most of them will know more swear words than me.
Reply 49
This amuses me, at least... (see attachment)
Reply 50
i reeeally dont see why loadsa ppl have a problem with swearing.....fuck is just another word...simply one that ppl have CHOSEN to take offence by. thats not my problem...

our english teacher used to swear a lot. and he used to justify it by saying that not swearing increases the social gap between the rich and poor. so the more richer ppl swear (our school was a private school), the smaller the social divide becomes, which leads to less hatred and alienation.

and anyway, if swearing keeps increasing, eventually ppl will learn to be cooler and calmer and NOT take offence by them... i mean, seriously, why would it bother you if i just come up to u in the street and say FUCK YOU..... SO WHAT?!?! would you be insulted if i came and said BIBBLE BOBBLE? i doubt it... ppl should just learn to chill
rafiees
i reeeally dont see why loadsa ppl have a problem with swearing.....fuck is just another word...simply one that ppl have CHOSEN to take offence by. thats not my problem...

our english teacher used to swear a lot. and he used to justify it by saying that not swearing increases the social gap between the rich and poor. so the more richer ppl swear (our school was a private school), the smaller the social divide becomes, which leads to less hatred and alienation.

and anyway, if swearing keeps increasing, eventually ppl will learn to be cooler and calmer and NOT take offence by them... i mean, seriously, why would it bother you if i just come up to u in the street and say FUCK YOU..... SO WHAT?!?! would you be insulted if i came and said BIBBLE BOBBLE? i doubt it... ppl should just learn to chill

Certain words become taboo as society changes, and in Britain at least, where any sort of sexual expression is frowned upon and repressed, it's words related to sex that become 'swear' words. Once we become more open and acceptant about sex then the words will not be as offensive. Maybe as time goes on and society changes there will be another set of words that become taboo, such as those related to money (as it seems finance related matters are becomeing more taboo - you shouldn't ask someone how much they earn etc).

If swearing keeps increasing then yes these words will eventually be integrated into normal vocabulary, but there will just be a replacing set of taboo words which will act as 'new' swear words.

Personally, I think swearing in public is disgusting.
Reply 52
I see no problem in swearing in public. It's not like random strangers are hanging on my every word :smile:

But talking of swearing, I really need to tone it down a bit.. me and my friend ran around V going "F---ING SAFE AS F---" as we were very much moved by Goldie Lookin' Chain :tongue: I only seem to not swear when I've just met someone new and I want them to like me. Hmm.
Reply 53
Eggy Hog

You lived in france and didnt notice that there the rudest bastards in europe? fucking french, they piss me off :mad:
Reply 54
goldenbarnes
Certain words become taboo as society changes, and in Britain at least, where any sort of sexual expression is frowned upon and repressed, it's words related to sex that become 'swear' words. Once we become more open and acceptant about sex then the words will not be as offensive. Maybe as time goes on and society changes there will be another set of words that become taboo, such as those related to money (as it seems finance related matters are becomeing more taboo - you shouldn't ask someone how much they earn etc).

If swearing keeps increasing then yes these words will eventually be integrated into normal vocabulary, but there will just be a replacing set of taboo words which will act as 'new' swear words.

Personally, I think swearing in public is disgusting.

i disagree duude... the phrase FUCK YOU has lost any of its sexual meaning....its simply just an insult, which no one takes sexually... anyway, shit's not sexual, neither is arsewipe, dickweed, and many others....and no, i really doubt one day 'economy' or 'tax' will become swear words...

so tax off...
:smile:
Totally unacceptable.
Typical of those commoners!!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending