The Student Room Group

People who repeat exams over and over again

What do you think? I know people who have repeated GCSE Maths 6 times! For me personally after the second fail i'd just stop trying. Surely there is a point where you realise that you can't do the exam or don't have the intellect to pass it?

I just don't understand these people who do GCSE Maths over and over again. It must be so embarrassing!

Do you think there is a point where you should stop repeating?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frostyjoe
What do you think? I know people who have repeated GCSE Maths 6 times! For me personally after the second fail i'd just stop trying. Surely there is a point where you realise that you can't do the exam or don't have the intellect to pass it?

I just don't understand these people who do GCSE Maths over and over again. It must be so embarrassing!

It's a human characteristic to want to keep on trying and surviving
Reply 2
Considering how important GCSE Maths and English Language can be I can understand continually retaking them. Otherwise if one or two retakes don't work out then in most cases you might as well let it go.
I agree. But it's just the way people are.
Reply 4
Do employers ever demand to see GCSE grades? I've never been asked!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Considering how important GCSE Maths and English Language can be I can understand continually retaking them. Otherwise if one or two retakes don't work out then in most cases you might as well let it go.

I understand what you are saying but six times? I don't think I could go through that! Maybe even 3 times and I doubt I would go anymore.

I mean honestly there must be a point where people give in and realise they can't do it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Think this is my forth or fifth time doing GCSE maths this September and yes it's embarrassing for me since all my friends have passed. I've lost faith in passing it tbf but I just wish I would pass. Hoping it works this year
Reply 7
I understand what you are saying but six times? I don't think I could go through that! Maybe even 3 times.

Me neither but I've never been in that situation. Although it's probably false that not getting a C in GCSE maths will ruin all employment prospects I imagine a lot of people feel so strongly about not wanting to be disadvantaged because of it that no amount of retakes will discourage them (and if you keep getting high Ds then odds are you'll probably scrape a C at some point with enough retakes :redface:)
I kind of feel that way about driving tests - if you don't pass after like 5 attempts, then maybe driving just isn't for you.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I kind of feel that way about driving tests - if you don't pass after like 5 attempts, then maybe driving just isn't for you.

I past first time :proud:

I;m still scared of driving though.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Me neither but I've never been in that situation. Although it's probably false that not getting a C in GCSE maths will ruin all employment prospects I imagine a lot of people feel so strongly about not wanting to be disadvantaged because of it that no amount of retakes will discourage them (and if you keep getting high Ds then odds are you'll probably scrape a C at some point with enough retakes :redface:)

My favourite avatar I've ever seen
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I past first time :proud:

I;m still scared of driving though.

To the surprise of literally no one.

Unfortunately these are the Government rules now. If you don't get a grade C in English/Maths you need to keep resitting in the sixth form (or college) until you do.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
To the surprise of literally no one.

That I passed? Or that I am scared of driving?

I haven;t driven since I took my test which was 8months + ago. Plus I nearly crashed on that day which shook me up :frown:.
Reply 14
Original post by holly1798
Think this is my forth or fifth time doing GCSE maths this September and yes it's embarrassing for me since all my friends have passed. I've lost faith in passing it tbf but I just wish I would pass. Hoping it works this year

Good luck. I'm not trying to be controversial, just saying that if it was me I'd not bother.
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
Unfortunately these are the Government rules now. If you don't get a grade C in English/Maths you need to keep resitting in the sixth form (or college) until you do.

Yeah but if you fail foundation 5 times is there really hope? Lol
Good luck. I'm not trying to be controversial, just saying that if it was me I'd not bother.

It's hard not to bother when you need it for uni and stuff though :/
Original post by 雷尼克
It's a human characteristic to want to keep on trying and surviving

yea but it's pointless to keep doing it and getting the same ****ty result. that's literally the definition of stupid and mental.
that being said I only retook chem but each time i got better and finally went from E to B for overall.
Reply 18

Not everyone life is picture perfect. There are many factors that can cause a student to under perform, it's not all about 'intellect'.

Some people just aren't naturally mathsy and find it hard but things like GCSE English and maths is asked for like everywhere, so if they can't get a C they have to keep trying, I doubt they want to but they have to

Quick Reply

Latest