Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me about your OASC experiences. What were your interview questions, what current affairs did you speak about? What was your leadership task like? What were your general discussions and group tasks about?

Can you give me any tips?
    Did you enjoy it!

Rhys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    Please tell me about your OASC experiences. What were your interview questions, what current affairs did you speak about? What was your leadership task like? What were your general discussions and group tasks about?

Can you give me any tips?
    Did you enjoy it!

Rhys
    If I ever get there i'll tell you what I can....8 months and still waiting

ReputationRep:
    when/ if you do get there and they ask you to speak about current affairs over the past 18 months what would you say? tbh my knowledge on current affairs is quite poor at the moment, im dreading this part of the interview when i get there, if i get past AFCO.

ReputationRep:
    In the interview you are questioned by two Officers, one is a Flt Lt and the other is at least a Sqn Ldr but he may be a Wg Cdr. I'm not sure if it was my imagination but what I found (and others on my board) found was that they play good cop bad cop which can be a bit un-nerving.

One of the Officers ask you questions on your application form, I guess to check that what you put down is truthful, this lasts for about half the time then the switch to the other interviewing officer who asks you about Current Affairs.

He asks you what has been happening in the world in the last 12 months. They expect you to be able to talk about a few stories from the rest of the world and a few from the UK. Don't solely talk about military stories because they are looking for a rounded knowledge. Make sure that you know at least 2 British stories and a minimum of one overseas story in a lot of detail so you can talk about them if questioned. One more tip tell them about the story you know most about at the end because this is the story they are most likely to question you on.

Also near the end of the interview, if you are going for a job in a combat area, i.e. Pilot, they say, "As part of your job you will be taking part in operations which will require you to attack targets and therefore kill people. How do you feel about that?

Make sure you have a good answer to this but be honest, this not only lets them know about how well you prepared but also about your mental state.

That about does it for the interview just remember your interview technique, sit properly, don't use slang, don't fidget and remember to shake their hands before you leave and thank them for their time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Wolf75)

Also near the end of the interview, if you are going for a job in a combat area, i.e. Pilot, they say, "As part of your job you will be taking part in operations which will require you to attack targets and therefore kill people. How do you feel about that?

Make sure you have a good answer to this but be honest, this not only lets them know about how well you prepared but also about your mental state.
    I guess you have been to OASC and had to answer that question? What did you say? Did you get through? if not did they tell to you to improve in any areas and try again?

ReputationRep:
    I think what really screws some people up is "Why do you want to join the RAF?" or "Why do you want to be a pilot/gunner/engineer?"

Shan't pretend I know what the RAF interviewers/interviews are really like, so I'll shut up now. Oh wait I'll shut up in a second.

I read from a site posted waaaay down the list on this thread, I think it is on the first page actually, that went through the interview from the interviewers perspective. That page said that they would ask you questions such as "You are told to bomb a building you believe is a school, would you do it?".

Yes, now I'll shut up...

ReputationRep:
    lol, interesting! I dont know how i would answer that question to be honest, even after thinking about it! its not exactly the type of question somebody asks you everyday is it...

Know the name of the thread by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys)
    I guess you have been to OASC and had to answer that question? What did you say? Did you get through? if not did they tell to you to improve in any areas and try again?
    I got through it. I said that I knew that I would be expected to do that because it was part of the job, I would take absolutely no pleasure from it but I'd know that to the best of my knowledge it was a target that is assisting the resistance of whoever we are in conflict with and in the long run would save tens of lives in our Armed Services.

(Original post by Sunchild)
    "You are told to bomb a building you believe is a school, would you do it?".
    If you are told to attack a target that the intelligence tells you is a school then you have a duty to raise your concerns with your commanding officer. However if your orders remain, you still have a duty to carry out those orders. But I would like to think I'd have the confidence in our inteligence for this situation to arise.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much what I was thinking. Very similar to (don't laugh at me!!) episode of E.R. where Carter gets his interview. They ask him to lift a paper clip out of a jar, pulling both ends to undo the know without dropping the paper. They ask him questions about what he wants from this job and his experience, all the while he's dropping this paper clip over and over. Eventually one doctor on the board says "What would you do if that was a suture in a main artery, Mr. Carter?"

He looks around blankly, before saying "I would evaluate, repair the damage...and proceed".

I liked that

Especially as they tell him it's impossible to lift it without dropping it, later.

Something else I remember from a while ago. "Never put a man in charge who hasn't made a mistake. He obviously hasn't made his decisions quick enough".

What else was there? Hmmm, can't remember where I was going with all this .

Think I'll just go before I embarass myself any further...

Oh yeah, it's on this thread, at the very start. I think it's the first reply.

ReputationRep:
    I know a few of us have OASC coming up in the next few weeks so maybe we can all post our experiences and outcomes (good or bad!!!!) on here for others to learn from, and just so we all see how each other is getting on!

I will be there next Tuesday, eeeek!!! Hopefully I won't be posting on here until the Friday!

ReputationRep:
    Just in case I can't be bothered to come on, good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    When I attended a presentation this year at Cranwell about OASC we were told to divide the world into four continents plus the UK. Have a very good knowledge of at least 3 news stories for each geographical area which had happened in the last year. Then, when asked what has gone on in the world over the last year, give one or two items from each area and be prepared to expand on one or two in depth. The topics don't all have to be linked in some way militarily but it helps! Try subscribing to The Week magazine.. it gives an overview of world news events overthe past week. If anything of interest at least you can research it. Read a broadsheet (or two) for at least two weeks before you go to OASC.

ReputationRep:
    3 days to go!

I'm scared, i'm scared, i'm scaaaareeeddd!!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.