The Student Room Group

While writing about skills from A levels...

What do i do if i'm not continuing a subject to A2? Basically i take History, English Lit and Economics but in Economics I got an E so i've decided to not carry on with this and take an additional AS. SO what would I say here? It's also worth mentioning I'm still going to do a resit for the AS economics, it's just i'm not taking it forward to A2 and doing another AS instead.

Any help much appreciated, I wouldn't want to write anything negative on my PS by mistake.
You don't need to mention your A Levels at all :smile:
Original post by alexp98
What do i do if i'm not continuing a subject to A2? Basically i take History, English Lit and Economics but in Economics I got an E so i've decided to not carry on with this and take an additional AS. SO what would I say here? It's also worth mentioning I'm still going to do a resit for the AS economics, it's just i'm not taking it forward to A2 and doing another AS instead.

Any help much appreciated, I wouldn't want to write anything negative on my PS by mistake.

You don't need to mention it. You don't have to write anything in your personal statement, there's no obligation to write about the skills you've learned from every single A Level you took if you don't think it adds something constructive to your personal statement. The purpose of your PS is to explain why you want to study your subject and why you should be given an offer - it's definitely not a place for you to try to come up with excuses or reasons for low grades!
Reply 3
Original post by Plagioclase
You don't need to mention it. You don't have to write anything in your personal statement, there's no obligation to write about the skills you've learned from every single A Level you took if you don't think it adds something constructive to your personal statement. The purpose of your PS is to explain why you want to study your subject and why you should be given an offer - it's definitely not a place for you to try to come up with excuses or reasons for low grades!

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by alexp98

Because you're dropping Economics, it won't be as important as the subjects you're continuing at A2, but f you're concerned about your grades, speak to whoever's writing your reference. Often they will discuss grades and UMS scores since it's seems like less of a direct excuse from the student and doesn't take up characters in your personal statement, which needs to be more about skills, wider reading and extra curricular activities. I needed AAA for my firm choice university, but at AS I got AAB in the subjects I was continuing, so in my reference my teacher discussed how I hadn't achieved what was expected of me, but he explained reasons and how he felt confident that I would make the required grades after A2, which I ultimately ended up doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending