Should I take A Level maths or Core Maths?

Watch
HL99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I got my GCSE Results today, and got an A in maths. I really enjoy maths, however I am not sure that I would cope with the difficulty of A Level Maths. Core maths is a new subject for this year, and teaches more applied maths (such as mortgages and loans - things which would link into business which I am taking) however I don't know if I would enjoy it as much. I am not as worried about the difficulty of core maths as I had a taster lesson and was fine with it, however I am aware that A Level maths is extremely difficult !!!
MeerkatSwag
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A level maths is SO much more credible, I felt little increased difficulty in the first year AS but I've heard it gets harder in the second year. Maybe you should take A level maths but intend to drop that subject after AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HL99)
I got my GCSE Results today, and got an A in maths. I really enjoy maths, however I am not sure that I would cope with the difficulty of A Level Maths. Core maths is a new subject for this year, and teaches more applied maths (such as mortgages and loans - things which would link into business which I am taking) however I don't know if I would enjoy it as much. I am not as worried about the difficulty of core maths as I had a taster lesson and was fine with it, however I am aware that A Level maths is extremely difficult !!!
Lol maths isn't even that hard, especially the C1 and C2 modules are really easy at AS. Plus maths A level is so much more respected and gives you so many options that anyone will literally recommend you taking it
Razzamataz179
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RonnieRJ)
Lol maths isn't even that hard, especially the C1 and C2 modules are really easy at AS. Plus maths A level is so much more respected and gives you so many options that anyone will literally recommend you taking it
This. C1 is just literally just IGCSE plus 2 extra topics. C2 isn't much harder either, as it introduces newer concepts the questions are on a basic level.
nerak99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The key issue is the value of the currency that A-level holds. If you got an A at GCSE then you are capable of doing A-level. In a years time, your UCAS form will look much better with a grade for AS maths than a grade for a new course such as Core Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed