What's wrong with my story Watch

mine turtle
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I don't like it. I find it boring, but I know there's a good story in there. The characters are interesting, and have rich back story and are fleshed out (not as well as I could flesh out a character, but I purposefully held back), but they just sit there and don't seem to do anything interesting to me. Before, when I was working on a different series I created together with a friend (joint creation) I genuinely loved the characters and the stories we worked on and wrote individually. The story would write itself and I instinctively knew what to do, because the characters told me what they wanted. They weren't fleshed out beforehand, and neither was the plot, but they became their own characters and the plot became its own too. Now I plan the plot and the characters and lose interest O_o
SallySparrow66
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe you're spending so much time over it that your plot isn't exciting to you anymore. There's nothing that you're really excited about because you know it inside out? Switch it up abit maybe? Start putting characters into unexpected situations as sub plot whilst the larger story is still occurring. It'll help you flesh out your characters too in the process.

Push their boundaries as people. Push yours as a writer. When in doubt, cause a disaster.
mine turtle
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by SallySparrow66)
Maybe you're spending so much time over it that your plot isn't exciting to you anymore. There's nothing that you're really excited about because you know it inside out? Switch it up abit maybe? Start putting characters into unexpected situations as sub plot whilst the larger story is still occurring. It'll help you flesh out your characters too in the process.

Push their boundaries as people. Push yours as a writer. When in doubt, cause a disaster.
I'm kind of building up to a disaster/adventure story (I write short stories which are written in series). I'm not sure if I should share it, but I like to share ideas. I have a plot where one character (teenage girl) has been adopted by a family and she's hiding a secret from everyone (
Spoiler:
Show
She's pyrokinetic among other things, and is not always in complete control
). Something happens to her and her new family (not sure what, will decide later which forces her to out herself to them. Ordinarily, having special abilities is not an issue in the world I've made (there's another story series in this creative universe that explains all/most of the weird stuff and why it's not an issue, but it hasn't got a plot yet), but her past means she's so frightened of letting anybody know what she can do (basically, life took a dump on her a lot).
Spoiler:
Show
Her new family turns out to be not everything they seem. Not sure whether this plot point will be put in, but in a certain character's bio/notes it says they aren't what they seem

Since adding this character in, the wit and humour that was in the work I did 10 years ago is coming back and she's bringing out the best in at least one other character (she's actually turning out to be really funny, and this new one who's stealing the spotlight is pretty funny too when she comes out off her shell). When I think about it, it sounds awesome and I want to do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (139)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.37%
No I am happy with my course choice (464)
58.73%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (113)
14.3%

Watched Threads