Turn on thread page Beta

The Big Brother state. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How many people here, if given the chance, would opt for a big brother state, in order to achieve a perfectly "secure" state.

I'm aware that a perfectly secure state would be very hard, if not impossible to achieve. However, despite the lack of privacy, I'd resort to the old argument of "If I'm not doing anything wrong, then I've got nothing to be afraid of."

I can guess the type of responses that people will have to this, but perhaps there's a few uncommon ones?

ReputationRep:
    No thanks I like having some freedom. I hate the "If I'm not doing anything wrong, then I've got nothing to be afraid of." argument because even if I'm not doing anything wrong doesn't mean I don't want to keep it private.

The whole thing would be so open to abuse too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    How many people here, if given the chance, would opt for a big brother state, in order to achieve a perfectly "secure" state.

I'm aware that a perfectly secure state would be very hard, if not impossible to achieve. However, despite the lack of privacy, I'd resort to the old argument of "If I'm not doing anything wrong, then I've got nothing to be afraid of."

I can guess the type of responses that people will have to this, but perhaps there's a few uncommon ones?
    "Not doing anything wrong" could quickly be turned into "doing everything 'right'".

And if you're forced to do everything "right", ie the way the state wants you to, than basically you've lost your freedom.

I prefer to die free through an accident or whatever than to look forward to years of "secure" slavery.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the other day if you tagged everyone it would really help searching for criminals (admittedly after the crime) but perhaps would be a deterrent. Tag me, I don't care!

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember who, but someone once imagined an ants' nest. there were only two laws:
    Everything that is not compulsory is forbidden.
    Everything that is not forbidden is compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to lose my freedom just to feel secure.

It's not like I'd be doing anything wrong anyway, but I just don't want to be observed in such a way, I'd somehow feel trapped.

ReputationRep:
    A big brother state?
    You mean one of us is going to win some big prize?

Seriously though, i hate the idea of a big brother state, but i see the need for alot of survelance (or the correctly spelt equivalent) that goes on, and would not dispute the level i am aware that it is currently at.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.