PLEASE HELP- I am in year 10 and i think im going to fail my GCSEs

Watch
doorhandle123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
I left the country when i was in year 8 and i returned back to the uk at the beginning of year 10. I missed all of year 9 andmost of year 8. Im very behind in schoolwork. My school makes everyone pick one language to study, but ive missed so much and i have to catch up and learn a new language. Is there any advice you can give to me, do u recommend getting a tutor outside of school? I feel like im going to fail my gcses now. Im so lost. I picked triple science, geography and french for my options. Do youthink i will do okay? I really want to get into cambridge or a good university for medicine, but i doubt i can get a*. please help. thank you so much ofr your time
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by doorhandle123)
Hi,
I left the country when i was in year 8 and i returned back to the uk at the beginning of year 10. I missed all of year 9 andmost of year 8. Im very behind in schoolwork. My school makes everyone pick one language to study, but ive missed so much and i have to catch up and learn a new language. Is there any advice you can give to me, do u recommend getting a tutor outside of school? I feel like im going to fail my gcses now. Im so lost. I picked triple science, geography and french for my options. Do youthink i will do okay? I really want to get into cambridge or a good university for medicine, but i doubt i can get a*. please help. thank you so much ofr your time
Hard work is all you can do to be honest. As for the question in bold, again, it really depends on your work ethic. I know somebody who came to this country halfway through year 10 not understanding anything about the education system and she didn't do too badly - at the end of year 11 she had 4 A*s 5As and 3 Bs.

As for getting into Cambridge, they usually pay less attention to GCSEs than they do to your UMS average (needs to be 90+ percent for a decent shot at getting an offer) in your AS level exams in your three best subjects (if you apply for a non-science subject) and your three most relevant subjects (if you apply for a science subject). Also, remember that all medical schools are by definition 'good.' There's no such thing as a bad medical school. xD The competition for medicine is strong; if there was a 'bad' medical school that people could get into more easily, they would. Medicine is one course that never enters Clearing or Adjustment, for example. It's oversubscribed everywhere.

Don't worry, just work hard and you'll do fine.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,
Don't panic. All you need to do is work hard in order to get those's A*s you want and nothing is impossible. I would recommend getting support from your teachers on the things you've missed out on and possibly a tutor outside of school.
doorhandle123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by troubadour.)
Hard work is all you can do to be honest. As for the question in bold, again, it really depends on your work ethic. I know somebody who came to this country halfway through year 10 not understanding anything about the education system and she didn't do too badly - at the end of year 11 she had 4 A*s 5As and 3 Bs.

As for getting into Cambridge, they usually pay less attention to GCSEs than they do to your UMS average (needs to be 90+ percent for a decent shot at getting an offer) in your AS level exams in your three best subjects (if you apply for a non-science subject) and your three most relevant subjects (if you apply for a science subject). Also, remember that all medical schools are by definition 'good.' There's no such thing as a bad medical school. xD The competition for medicine is strong; if there was a 'bad' medical school that people could get into more easily, they would. Medicine is one course that never enters Clearing or Adjustment, for example. It's oversubscribed everywhere.

Don't worry, just work hard and you'll do fine.
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Don't panic. All you need to do is work hard in order to get those's A*s you want and nothing is impossible. I would recommend getting support from your teachers on the things you've missed out on and possibly a tutor outside of school.

I was revisiting my threads and I stumbled across your message. I just want to say that I got 10 A* in all my subjects for GCSE and now I am doing Maths,Bio and chemistry A levels. Thank you for your words of encouragement and reassurance - it meant a lot to me at that time. : )
elsaruus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was revisiting my threads and I stumbled across your message. I just want to say that I got 10 A* in all my subjects for GCSE and now I am doing Maths,Bio and chemistry A levels. Thank you for your words of encouragement and reassurance - it meant a lot to me at that time. : )
WOW THAT'S AMAZING! What revision did you do?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well done man. So you're in year 13 now?
Zaspo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
how did you do?
doorhandle123
Rep:
?
Starting early!!!! Throughout the course of year 10 and 11,after a topic had been completed I would make sure to do my notes as soon as possible. I initially started do
Good lucking flashcards because everyone was doing them but I realised it wasn't the best way I learnt and ultimately a waste of my time. After some trial and error, I realised that I needed short and concise notes on an A4 paper (don't ask me why-it was more aesthetically pleasing). I learnt by teaching my mum the stuff because if you understand it then u are more likely to remember it.
Past papers are your best friends- do as many as you can. They can only ask you so many questions (most likely phrased in a different way).
Revising can get boring and my friends and I used to revise stuff by creating stupid actions and inside jokes for certain key points.
Also definitely make sure you read the specifications for your subject-it is a checklist of everything you need to know and what the questions can be on.

Last of all work hard but enjoy the process.

(Original post by elsaruus)
WOW THAT'S AMAZING! What revision did you do?
doorhandle123
Rep:
?
Ooops, the reply above had an error.

Starting early!!!! Throughout the course of year 10 and 11,after a topic had been completed I would make sure to do my notes as soon as possible. I initially started do flashcards because everyone was doing them but I realised it wasn't the best way I learnt and ultimately a waste of my time. After some trial and error, I realised that I needed short and concise notes on an A4 paper (don't ask me why-it was more aesthetically pleasing). I learnt by teaching my mum the stuff because if you understand it then u are more likely to remember it.
Past papers are your best friends- do as many as you can. They can only ask you so many questions (most likely phrased in a different way).
Revising can get boring and my friends and I used to revise stuff by creating stupid actions and inside jokes for certain key points.
Also definitely make sure you read the specifications for your subject-it is a checklist of everything you need to know and what the questions can be on.

Last of all work hard but enjoy the process.
doorhandle123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Well done man. So you're in year 13 now?
Thank you.I'm in year 12 now
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you.I'm in year 12 now
Ahh yeah my bad. So are you still planning on doing medicine at Cambridge?
doorhandle123
Rep:
?
I've been looking into it, but probably not-they do a traditional/lecture based learning style which isn't my way of learning. I'm still very keen on medicine though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (117)
28.33%
No - I have already returned home (55)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (120)
29.06%

Watched Threads