Are my grades good enough to apply for Oxbridge?

Watch
Jordanharvey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I just received my GCSE results and would like to ask if anyone thinks they are good enough for Oxbridge.

English language A*
English literature A*
History A*
Religious studies A*
Art A*
Spanish A
Maths A
Double science AA
Geography B
tysonmaniac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes
tysonmaniac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But to elaborate: You will be slightly disadvantaged at Oxford since they do sort of care and you are slightly below average in terms of number of A* for an Oxford applicant, but for Cambridge you will be totally fine.
Jordanharvey
Rep:
?
(Original post by tysonmaniac)
But to elaborate: You will be slightly disadvantaged at Oxford since they do sort of care and you are slightly below average in terms of number of A* for an Oxford applicant, but for Cambridge you will be totally fine.
Thanks!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For what subject?
FLM3026
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

According to a PDF guide I read, Oxbridge have revealed that the average applicant has 5-8 A*'s and it appears you have successfully obtained the relevant grades you need! However, bear in mind that your GCSE and A-level results don't completely determine which university you get into. Interviewers at Oxbridge also look for genuine interest in the subject you want to study, enthusiasm and good analytical and intellectual abilities.

If you wanted to do some light reading about this matter, feel free to have a read o' this:
file:///C:/Users/MACHINE/Downloads/Part6.pdf

Hope this helps!
FLM3026

P.S: Your GCSE results are *great* by the way. What a great way to end two years of hard work, eh?
Jordanharvey
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=The_Lonely_Goatherd;587012 27]For what subject?[/QUOTE

Probably history, but not totally sure yet
Turtlebunny
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are mine good enough for Natsci or medicine?

Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Geography - A*
ICT - A*
Statistics - A
English literature - A
English language - B
German - B
Business - B
Expressive arts - B

thanks
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
Yeah they're fine but maybe you might need some actual AS levels to decide if you can apply or not lmao
buzzcxt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ofcourse they r b
Jordanharvey
Rep:
?
(Original post by FLM3026)
Hello,

According to a PDF guide I read, Oxbridge have revealed that the average applicant has 5-8 A*'s and it appears you have successfully obtained the relevant grades you need! However, bear in mind that your GCSE and A-level results don't completely determine which university you get into. Interviewers at Oxbridge also look for genuine interest in the subject you want to study, enthusiasm and good analytical and intellectual abilities.

If you wanted to do some light reading about this matter, feel free to have a read o' this:
file:///C:/Users/MACHINE/Downloads/Part6.pdf

Hope this helps!
FLM3026

P.S: Your GCSE results are *great* by the way. What a great way to end two years of hard work, eh?

Thanks so much, I'll have a look at that, really helpful!
Thank you, I'm really pleased with them, slightly disappointed with geography but I'm getting a remark done!
FLM3026
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No problem-o! It's what this community is for, eh?

Don't be too disappointed with your geography grade. As long as you gave it your all and have genuine passion for studying the world around us, I don't think it's anything to be too worried about. A remark sounds like a good idea, especially if you vehemently believe that the grade you were issued doesn't reflect your ability.

Good luck with your further education and keep up the wonderful work!
FLM3026
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jordanharvey)

Probably history, but not totally sure yet
Should be fine for History at Oxford - just wanted to check you are not a budding medic, in which case your grades probably wouldn't get you to the interview stage.

(Original post by Turtlebunny)
Are mine good enough for Natsci or medicine?

Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Geography - A*
ICT - A*
Statistics - A
English literature - A
English language - B
German - B
Business - B
Expressive arts - B

thanks
Afraid those GCSE grades are unlikely to secure you an interview at Oxford :no:
Jordanharvey
Rep:
?
(Original post by FLM3026)
No problem-o! It's what this community is for, eh?

Don't be too disappointed with your geography grade. As long as you gave it your all and have genuine passion for studying the world around us, I don't think it's anything to be too worried about. A remark sounds like a good idea, especially if you vehemently believe that the grade you were issued doesn't reflect your ability.

Good luck with your further education and keep up the wonderful work!
FLM3026
I wouldn't be getting it remarked as I'm not unhappy with the grade itself, but I got an A* in my physical geography mock exam, and in the gcse I got a C in the physical geography paper, so I'm slightly confused how that happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jordanharvey
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=The_Lonely_Goatherd;587020 81]Should be fine for History at Oxford - just wanted to check you are not a budding medic, in which case your grades probably wouldn't get you to the interview stage.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Amii567
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just received my GCSE results and would like to ask if anyone thinks they are good enough for Oxbridge.

English language A*
English literature A*
History A*
Religious studies A*
Art A*
Spanish A
Maths A
Double science AA
Geography B

You will be slightly disadvantaged if you want to apply for Oxford HOWEVER this is not the case for Cambridge. I spoke to a Cambridge professor a few months ago and she said Cambridge don't really care about GCSEs, it's A Levels that matter. As long as you pass maths and english it's fine, and you got top grades in that so for Cambridge you've got nothing to worry about Well done on your results!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem. Check the course contents/structures of both Oxford and Cambridge's courses once you settle on your degree subject, then work hard for AS and A2 and try and swot up for any pre-entrance exams (Oxford has the History Aptitude Test - HAT)
FLM3026
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah, I see! Yes, that does sound quite perplexing to me as well. But either way, you've earned excellent GCSE results.

Have a nice evening!
FLM3026
Turtlebunny
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Should be fine for History at Oxford - just wanted to check you are not a budding medic, in which case your grades probably wouldn't get you to the interview stage.

Afraid those GCSE grades are unlikely to secure you an interview at Oxford :no:
Was looking more at Cambridge actually, since they offer NatSci which is broader and more varied, since idk what sort of science I want to do in the future.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Turtlebunny)
Was looking more at Cambridge actually, since they offer NatSci which is broader and more varied, since idk what sort of science I want to do in the future.
Fairy snuff. Afraid I'm Dark Blue so can't advise on your prospects for The Other Place :ninja:

Good luck with it all though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.5%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.4%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (90)
4.53%

Watched Threads