The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is it possible to decide to have a gap year when I have a confirmed place at uni?

I have a place to study Actuarial Science and Mathematics at Manchester and I'm supposed to be starting in September. But I've decided I want to take a gap year and start next year instead. Is it still possible to do this or is it too late? When is it too late??
I have no idea whether you'll be able to but it would be best to ask your department, they can give you a definite answer.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by amylucinda
I have a place to study Actuarial Science and Mathematics at Manchester and I'm supposed to be starting in September. But I've decided I want to take a gap year and start next year instead. Is it still possible to do this or is it too late? When is it too late??

You should be able to defer your place or atleast withdraw and then apply next year, just talk to the department soonish
You'd need to ask your academic department as soon as possible.

Do be very nice about it, and outline what you plan to do with your gap year (make it look productive e.g. work, travel, volunteering). Do bear in mind that they would be quite within their rights to say no, as it will likely mess up their numbers for the year (it's too late to give your place to someone else now) - if that happens, you'll have to decide if you want to withdraw and reapply, or go this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending