franceskafisher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've just finished my AS Levels where I secured an AAAc in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology & Maths. I originally wanted to go into Medical engineering also known as Biomedical engineering but maths is a requirement and I'm not able to take on Maths as a 4 A-Level.

I'm stuck because I do really want to go into this career choice as I've don't related work experience and I've found is very very interesting. My options are:
-Continuing with maths outside of college (which would require so much effort and a possibility that I wouldn't be able to do extremely well)
-Do a degree in biological sciences at a good university and then do Medical Engineering as a masters. <- which I'm leaning towards
- Or is there any other options you guys can suggest for me

plsssss help
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AFAIK the entry requirements for a medical/biomedical engineering masters degree is a 2.1 degree in engineering or physical sciences. There may be some out there that accept other subjects, but do some research before you embark on a biological sciences degree as it may not be acceptable.

It may be safer to try and do maths A-level to get where you want to be.
Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Going to jump in an push you the absolute hell away from the BSc then the masters option. Not a good idea imo.

As above, bio sciences likely won't get you into engineering masters. Some unis will accept maths/physical science grads, others will only take engineering grads.

Even if you find a MSc you can do with a BSc in bio you still have a massive problem. Most engineering companies will want you to have a BEng undergrad degree if you have a MSc postgrad. They will hire you if you have a BSc+MSc combo, but you will need to standout (I'm talking rainbow unicorn in a muddy field standout) usually a decent type of work experience in the related field (note, it wouldn't be easy to get that experience without the BEng in the first place).

I know this because I am studying natural sciences and want to do civil engineering. So I've spent the past few weeks trying to find out the employability of BSc+MSc grads vs MEng grads. It is possible to get employment, but you are disadvantaged against anyone with an Engineering background.

I would say drop psychology, or one of the others, and take maths instead. You cannot be an engineer without maths, it is simple as that.

The other option is to apply for a foundation year in engineering. But seems like a waste of a year and money since you can just drop a different subject and do maths.
franceskafisher
Rep:
?
(Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
Going to jump in an push you the absolute hell away from the BSc then the masters option. Not a good idea imo.

As above, bio sciences likely won't get you into engineering masters. Some unis will accept maths/physical science grads, others will only take engineering grads.

Even if you find a MSc you can do with a BSc in bio you still have a massive problem. Most engineering companies will want you to have a BEng undergrad degree if you have a MSc postgrad. They will hire you if you have a BSc+MSc combo, but you will need to standout (I'm talking rainbow unicorn in a muddy field standout) usually a decent type of work experience in the related field (note, it wouldn't be easy to get that experience without the BEng in the first place).

I know this because I am studying natural sciences and want to do civil engineering. So I've spent the past few weeks trying to find out the employability of BSc+MSc grads vs MEng grads. It is possible to get employment, but you are disadvantaged against anyone with an Engineering background.

I would say drop psychology, or one of the others, and take maths instead. You cannot be an engineer without maths, it is simple as that.

The other option is to apply for a foundation year in engineering. But seems like a waste of a year and money since you can just drop a different subject and do maths.
Hmmm, Thank you for that at least now I know where my options lie
franceskafisher
Rep:
?
(Original post by theresheglows)
AFAIK the entry requirements for a medical/biomedical engineering masters degree is a 2.1 degree in engineering or physical sciences. There may be some out there that accept other subjects, but do some research before you embark on a biological sciences degree as it may not be acceptable.

It may be safer to try and do maths A-level to get where you want to be.
what exactly is physical science and thank will definitely be looking into my options again
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by franceskafisher)
what exactly is physical science and thank will definitely be looking into my options again
Sciences that aren't biological, organic or life-based.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlin...ysical_science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads