Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can some1 help, I've got a document which I did in Lotus wordpro, and I need to open it in MSword. i'm running ms95, and lotus wordpro was on a ms2000 system.

nehelp would be appreciated,

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Haven't used any Lotus software but try checking the file format options when you save the document. There might be a 'Word 95' format or if not, 'Rich Text Format' should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    phil before you change the format make another copy of the same file in a different folder just incase the change in format messes up the file. I they are both text files. you could just try rename the file from whatever to whatever.doc. But i am not too sure.

ReputationRep:
    I havn't ever used lotus but am a big word fan...anyway, this might not be what your after but...
    If you have everything set out in the lotus document it should be possible just to select the items on the page and copy them over onto a blank word document

Basic but I don't see why it shouldn't work?!

ReputationRep:
    He's copying from one machine to another (at least that's what it sounds like.. am assuming he's using Win 95 on one and 2k on the other)..

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by PHIL
    Can some1 help, I've got a document which I did in Lotus wordpro, and I need to open it in MSword. i'm running ms95, and lotus wordpro was on a ms2000 system.

nehelp would be appreciated,

Phil
    I'm afraid Word can't open the native Lotus LWP files, so you need to use Lotus to export the document to RTF (Rich Text Format) or something else which Word will understand. Unfortunately, this may mean any complex functionality or features used in the Lotus document may be lost.

Good Luck,

ReputationRep:
    Argh.. what did I say? Jesus, am invisible here too :/.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Nylex
    Argh.. what did I say? Jesus, am invisible here too :/.
    Sorry , I missed your post!

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Nylex
    He's copying from one machine to another (at least that's what it sounds like.. am assuming he's using Win 95 on one and 2k on the other)..
    Sorry...I must just slurred over the original post...

This sounds a bit far fetched, and very likely completely not right...but could you upload/uplink the file onto a webpage (www.geocities.com do em free- good for basics etc) and then access it from the second computer...

is the file text or images or both? Because you can copy up text and upload images even if you have to do it all seperatly.

What other programmes are on your original computer? Perhaps you could use one to help in the transition.

Also I suggest you save the document onto disk- if the file isn't too large...that way you can see if there's any way to access it from the second computer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help guys, but basically I did the original file whilst doing work experience over the last 2 weeks, and this was done on a laptop which I borrowed from the company,and since I had no work to do, and I started really early (i.e. before any1 else came on this forum), I did a rough personal statement

Phil

ask the man in the picture next to your name phil!

ReputationRep:
    Phil try converting the file to rich text format(rtf) which can be opened by any version of ms word

ReputationRep:
    How do you do that?

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Phil- is it just text?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Well...then as long as your other comp to which you want to transfer it has a net connection why not copy and paste it onto a website -or even on a thread on here and then you can copy the text back off onto word later - I can't see any reason why that shouldn't work

ReputationRep:
    Problem is, I did it on a computer when I was doing work experience, and have since handed that PC back in to the compnay, after I sent it my files to myself, so I no longer have access to the computer with the original file on, only a copy of the file, which I e-mailed to myself.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    right...erm...ok so now the problem is that you can't open it...
    well...either you could be a bad boy and download lotus for a few hours and then copy and paste etc as suggested...there's prob a non-illegal way of doing it as you can prob get it on a 30 day trial or something...
    or you could mail me the document and I'll see if there's anything I can do- though I strongly doubt it as am not an expert but it might be worth a go (I have techy brother on call is necessarry)
    [email protected] (don't ask!)

Egan

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by PHIL
    Problem is, I did it on a computer when I was doing work experience, and have since handed that PC back in to the compnay, after I sent it my files to myself, so I no longer have access to the computer with the original file on, only a copy of the file, which I e-mailed to myself.

Phil
    If you don't have a copy of Lotus WordPro to hand, then there is only one other option, which is a program called KeyView Pro. It can be downloaded on a 30-day trial basis, and will be able to convert your Lotus document to RTF or MS Word. Usually it is available from http://www.keyview.com, but unfortunately this site is currently down. You might want to keep an eye on it, or alternatively try searching the web for other download locations. A quick search on Google didn't yield anything. You may have to find someone with Lotus WordPro who can do the conversion for you; I'm sure someone here must have it and can then e-mail you the converted document.

Good Luck,

ReputationRep:
    Thanks every1, I'll try that site, and if it doesn't work, or I can't find another way of doing it, I might take you up on that offer Egan.

Phil

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.