The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

goodmen
Your friend would have known from the first sip, you cant mistake bacardi for lemonade 6 times in a row, she would also notice the effects.

For one lemonade bacardi breezers are not even the same colour as lemonade, they are quite a bright yellow.

You sound more annoyed that you have lost your teetotal friend not that she had a few drinks

Oh great, you're back. What a stupid, pointless comment. Someone who had never had alcohol before might well mistake an alcopop for a soft drink. I know sometimes I do and I drink regularly. Similarly, if you had never been drunk before you wouldn't necessarily realise you were getting drunk til it was too late. If this was a normal situation involving completely healthy people that post would have been gratuitiously nasty at best but did you conveniently skip over the part where the OP said the friend who drank was epileptic and the alcohol might have interfered with her medication?
IMO your friend does have have to take some responsibility for her actions: unless she was drinking out of plastic cups she would have in her hand a bottle in her hand that very clearly said 'bacardi breezer'. I presume that your friend is over 18 - therefore she is an adult. Although her friends should have perhaps questioned what she was doing, ultimately, it is her responsibility to look after her own health. Why should her friends be checking up on her like they're her parents?
I'm scunnered when it comes to alcopops; can't taste the booze 'n don't feel effects after a good few until it hits me.

Her mates are lame and deserve a thumping yet you mate is responsible for her own actions so should act it.

Your a good friend...
Rep yo as a token cos its worth buggery.
Reply 23
I can't taste the alcohol in alcopops but after 6 (especially if i had never drunk before) i would have felt the effects...
Reply 24
Talk to her when shes sober, and let her make her own mind up. However, before hand yes you can be pissed with people. And yes, it is wrong to give alcohol and pretend it isnt. Save it up and send it this way (not alcopops, I'm not gay).
Reply 25
Jennybean
Oh great, you're back. What a stupid, pointless comment. Someone who had never had alcohol before might well mistake an alcopop for a soft drink. I know sometimes I do and I drink regularly. Similarly, if you had never been drunk before you wouldn't necessarily realise you were getting drunk til it was too late. If this was a normal situation involving completely healthy people that post would have been gratuitiously nasty at best but did you conveniently skip over the part where the OP said the friend who drank was epileptic and the alcohol might have interfered with her medication?

mm, its an awful shame everyone else in the thread agrees with me and your just trying to slag me off for somereason ( i dont even recognise your name sorry)
goodmen
mm, its an awful shame everyone else in the thread agrees with me

They sure do...

IzzyWizzy
That was extremely irresponsible of them to tell her it was lemonade. I would be really annoyed, even if they didn't know she was epileptic. It's a really thick and dangerous thing to do.

ClareR
Id be annoyed, of course your going to be protective of your friends!

CheGriffin
if i was in her shoes, i would want someone watching my back like you are, and not leaving it to her other 'friends'

jaydoh
That's disgraceful.

theredsox
I can't taste the alcohol in alcopops.

*Joanna*
I can't really taste the alchol in alcopops either. So she might not have realised from the taste of it- I think it looks a bit like cloudy lemonade

Allthewayhome
I'm scunnered when it comes to alcopops; can't taste the booze 'n don't feel effects after a good few until it hits me.

Her mates are lame and deserve a thumping yet you mate is responsible for her own actions so should act it.

Your a good friend...
Rep yo as a token cos its worth buggery.

gracie88
I can't taste the alcohol in alcopops

Yoda
And yes, it is wrong to give alcohol and pretend it isnt.

Lol did you even read the thread? Of course the girl probably realised after a while that she was drinking alcohol but everyone knows it lowers your inhibitions; once she'd had a few, even though she knew she wasn't supposed to drink she probably just thought "sod it, it's too late now". It's definitely not unequivocal that she knew straight away it was alcoholic - several people have testified that they can't distinguish alcopops from soft drinks. They're very sugary. Your comment was gratuitiously nasty to the OP - you didn't even imply an ulterior motive for her concern, you just came right out and said that she was probably just jealous that her teetotal friend had been able to drink alcohol while she remained sober for the sake of her health. But that was categorically not the case, the OP quite clearly stated that her friend was epileptic and if the alcohol interfered with her medication she could have a fit in her sleep. Therefore your comment was not constructive or necessary and I cannot find a single person on this thread agreeing with you. I like your little collection of red gems btw...
Reply 27
All that aside, the OP has also stated that her friend is saying she is acting like a 90 year old. Her friend is clearly not fussed, so she should stop worrying herself. If she was really that worried about being 'spiked' she'd be pretty pissed off for herself, as it is there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.
All that aside, the OP has also stated that her friend is saying she is acting like a 90 year old. Her friend is clearly not fussed, so she should stop worrying herself. If she was really that worried about being 'spiked' she'd be pretty pissed off for herself, as it is there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.

I would say that I agree, as I do think people should take responsibility for themselves, but I have noticed the worrying trend in this country of apportioning blame. If the friend had had an epileptic fit, I am willing to bet the OP would be the first person to cop an earful from the girl's parents for not acting responsibly.
Your friend might have known she was drinking alcohol, but you can't really be sure.

Either way it was irresponsible of your other friends to give them to her and tell her they were lemonade.
Maybe she SUSPECTED it was alcohol but didn't want to accuse your other friends of being liars. It's certainly possible.

Either way they were irresponsible, and it's lovely that you are so concerned about your friend. I'm sure she'll thank you someday for being such a good friend.

Latest

Trending

Trending