BettyLovesDrama
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Yeah, that was 2017 in the post thread.... Only two years early. But, hey, I need some advice...Please? The main thing which I am somewhat confused about is: Drama School or Drama at Uni? Now, let me first give you a very brief background info, just so we're clear on why I'm posting this as 2017 Entry.... I did the odd talent show and plays at schools, but I was never allowed to join any youth theatre or do any extra drama classes (My father wouldn't let me, and he has a violent and angry streak, so I was scared to disagree - I have no contact with him now, since I was 17 - 5 years ago.).... So, I dropped out of college, when I was doing the IB, which I hated, and over the years have done a handful of workshops at RADA, LAMDA, Mono Box, Complicite Theatre Company and London Bubble Young Theatre Makers.... It was all going very well, until me and my mum got made homeless, and literally had no other option but to move up North and start anew (with the help of family nearby).... As moving up north is a new start, I've enrolled at a local college to do Access to HE: Humanities, so here is where I am confused: I have two options now.... Apply for Uni to go next year and do Drama.... Or do the college course, not apply for uni and build up my theatre experience, do more workshops and see more theatre, so I can audition in 2016, more prepared? I should add that I am currently 22 years old, but feel way, way older - I have enough life experience, so that isn't an issue, I feel like I've got a catalogue of emotions when it comes to Acting...... So, what I am asking, for those of you that have made it to the end of this frankly honest statement.... is Drama at Uni or Drama School? Thanks very much for any contributions, it's much appreciated (I should also quickly add that I do work part time!)
reeceb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
drama at uni is less practical, more theory - not ideal if you want to be an actor but can still work, but mainly used for other careers inside drama.
drama school is more for becoming an actor
Birmingham City University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BettyLovesDrama)
Yeah, that was 2017 in the post thread.... Only two years early. But, hey, I need some advice...Please? The main thing which I am somewhat confused about is: Drama School or Drama at Uni? Now, let me first give you a very brief background info, just so we're clear on why I'm posting this as 2017 Entry.... I did the odd talent show and plays at schools, but I was never allowed to join any youth theatre or do any extra drama classes (My father wouldn't let me, and he has a violent and angry streak, so I was scared to disagree - I have no contact with him now, since I was 17 - 5 years ago.).... So, I dropped out of college, when I was doing the IB, which I hated, and over the years have done a handful of workshops at RADA, LAMDA, Mono Box, Complicite Theatre Company and London Bubble Young Theatre Makers.... It was all going very well, until me and my mum got made homeless, and literally had no other option but to move up North and start anew (with the help of family nearby).... As moving up north is a new start, I've enrolled at a local college to do Access to HE: Humanities, so here is where I am confused: I have two options now.... Apply for Uni to go next year and do Drama.... Or do the college course, not apply for uni and build up my theatre experience, do more workshops and see more theatre, so I can audition in 2016, more prepared? I should add that I am currently 22 years old, but feel way, way older - I have enough life experience, so that isn't an issue, I feel like I've got a catalogue of emotions when it comes to Acting...... So, what I am asking, for those of you that have made it to the end of this frankly honest statement.... is Drama at Uni or Drama School? Thanks very much for any contributions, it's much appreciated (I should also quickly add that I do work part time!)
Hey BettyLovesDrama,

If your not sure, why not the best of both worlds? Take a look at our BA (Hons) Acting course at Birmingham School of Acting, part of Birmingham City University to see if it appeals to you.
it's high contact hours and the first year does consist of more technical study learning techniques for rehearsal, acting, voice and movement. But by the final year you'll be almost completely occupied by practical and performance, both live and recorded.

Hopefully this is of some help to give you an idea

All the best,

Lydia (BCU Team)
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BettyLovesDrama)
If you want to become an actor, then Drama school. The uni route is less likely to succeed, longer and more expensive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads