The Student Room Group

gcse ums points

how many marks are equivalent to one ums point? how does it work? is it different for different boards?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 10101gg
how many marks are equivalent to one ums point? how does it work? is it different for different boards?

It's different across each paper in all subjects each year :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually the biggest amount of UMS is accquired from the first 30% of the paper, but honestly it depends on the year, the boundaries, the subject, and there is not an exact figure for every subject. But if you know the subject and the exam board and your UMS you can use an online converter to get your raw grade.
Original post by Changing Skies
It's different across each paper in all subjects each year :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For every subject with a D can someone check how far I was from a C please😊
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo
For every subject with a D can someone check how far I was from a C please😊

I will try have a look for you and reply back shortly!
Original post by Calzs34
I will try have a look for you and reply back shortly!

Thankyou
Thankyou

Would you like me to PM how many marks away? Or post here, Idm :smile:
Original post by Calzs34
Would you like me to PM how many marks away? Or post here, Idm :smile:

You can post it here 😀
You can post it here 😀

Your food tech was 5-6 marks off a C in total.

Your maths unfortunately they do not give us any marks unless you go see your teachers/exam office, but for when you do you would need 65/200 to get a C, so ask if you were close to that :smile:

Both of your sciences would need 240/400 UMS to get a C and unfortunately that's at least 8 marks to gain (for both).
Original post by Calzs34
Your food tech was 5-6 marks off a C in total.

Your maths unfortunately they do not give us any marks unless you go see your teachers/exam office, but for when you do you would need 65/200 to get a C, so ask if you were close to that :smile:

Both of your sciences would need 240/400 UMS to get a C and unfortunately that's at least 8 marks to gain (for both).

thankyou, that was so close😔. Do you think if i go to my sixthform i can do the courses I want and resit my GCSEs? And what would a remark do? Thanxx
thankyou, that was so close😔. Do you think if i go to my sixthform i can do the courses I want and resit my GCSEs? And what would a remark do? Thanxx

Of course you can still do the courses you want, they would most likely have to be foundation (which is fine).

You would be forced to retake your maths and english to get up to a grade C, the rest would be optional and up to you and your school. If your school thinks it's a good idea to go for a remark typically they will spend the money for you if it's D-C. So you should also inquire about that :smile:.

But also have you thought about doing things other than A-Levels? Not everyone has to do them :smile:, if you wanted to sometimes you can have an extra year which is YR12 where some sixth forms will let you retake your gcses and then the next year you go onto doing AS level.

What courses were you thinking of doing :smile:? Your exams office will be able to help you more than I would btw so I would see them as soon as you can to look at your options !
Original post by Calzs34
Of course you can still do the courses you want, they would most likely have to be foundation (which is fine).

You would be forced to retake your maths and english to get up to a grade C, the rest would be optional and up to you and your school. If your school thinks it's a good idea to go for a remark typically they will spend the money for you if it's D-C. So you should also inquire about that :smile:.

But also have you thought about doing things other than A-Levels? Not everyone has to do them :smile:, if you wanted to sometimes you can have an extra year which is YR12 where some sixth forms will let you retake your gcses and then the next year you go onto doing AS level.

What courses were you thinking of doing :smile:? Your exams office will be able to help you more than I would btw so I would see them as soon as you can to look at your options !

Thankyou soo much! And ehm i am doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. And do you think the sixth form wont be doing diffucult with the grades as i was close to a C? And are you sure my school will pay for the fees for remarking?
Thankyou soo much! And ehm i am doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. And do you think the sixth form wont be doing diffucult with the grades as i was close to a C? And are you sure my school will pay for the fees for remarking?

Well, this is only speaking from the experience of my sixth form as they would do it if it was close to a C and was a D and they let applicants in who had not achieved C's or better, however some had to retake. But I guess it depends on the sixth form, your best bet is to go and have a chat with them.

Your science grades were D's which I think should be okay to do a foundation AS in chem or bio, however you will need to do your maths and eng. i'm not sure about pysch though.
Original post by Calzs34
Well, this is only speaking from the experience of my sixth form as they would do it if it was close to a C and was a D and they let applicants in who had not achieved C's or better, however some had to retake. But I guess it depends on the sixth form, your best bet is to go and have a chat with them.

Your science grades were D's which I think should be okay to do a foundation AS in chem or bio, however you will need to do your maths and eng. i'm not sure about pysch though.

I would like to send my sixthform a polite email. What should i write in it and about the retakes/remarks should i aks my exam officer or sixthform?
I would like to send my sixthform a polite email. What should i write in it and about the retakes/remarks should i aks my exam officer or sixthform?

Dear (Sixthform name)

I am writing to you to ask about my GCSE grades... would be a good start and you would be contacting your school (which may also be your sixth form) for the remarks rather than the sixth form, so you could also send them an email.

You should ask things such as, would it be possible to retake some of my exams gcses and then continue doing AS but a year later? Would it be possible for me to do the AS I want to with 'these grades' and then put whether you feel you can do it, because I'm sure you can! Sometimes you may not fit the criteria, but asking for exceptions and saying you are motivated to do it (by revising and doing lots of pratice) you hope to achieve passes or better.
Original post by Calzs34
Dear (Sixthform name)

I am writing to you to ask about my GCSE grades... would be a good start and you would be contacting your school (which may also be your sixth form) for the remarks rather than the sixth form, so you could also send them an email.

You should ask things such as, would it be possible to retake some of my exams gcses and then continue doing AS but a year later? Would it be possible for me to do the AS I want to with 'these grades' and then put whether you feel you can do it, because I'm sure you can! Sometimes you may not fit the criteria, but asking for exceptions and saying you are motivated to do it (by revising and doing lots of pratice) you hope to achieve passes or better.

Thankyou so much you helped me a lot😊

That's okay! I hope you get in :smile:

This might be helpful :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3479293

Or you might have already read it.
Reply 18
I got a grade D 232/400 UMS points in my foundation paper with AQA CORE SCIENCE. I had to get 240/400 to get a C! SHOULD I SEND IT IN TO GET REMARKED?? IS IT WORTH IT??
Thanks.
May I ask what the points mean on the end columns?

Quick Reply

Latest