sociology or psychology?

Watch this thread
whtvroxana
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
i really need help to pick between A level sociology or psychology i cant make my mind up since i like both subjects please tell me advantages and disadvantage of both because i think it will really help me thanks
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by whtvroxana)
i really need help to pick between A level sociology or psychology i cant make my mind up since i like both subjects please tell me advantages and disadvantage of both because i think it will really help me thanks
Sociology is good at AS to take
sceptical
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I studied sociology for a level and it was really interesting with a brilliant teacher. You learn about many social structures such as family, education, religion etc and go in depth. Example a question in sociology would be: is the education system a level playing field or are there some students who are better suited for education. It's all very interesting. I didn't pick psychology so can't tell you much about that but also one thing I had trouble with in sociology was remembering the sociologists names. About 20 to remember over AS/A2. Overall really good subject! Hope this helped
username2110825
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Sociology
Advantages: it's not terribly difficult, the paper is shorter than most (50 minutes for Unit 1), freedom of argument.
Disadvantages: a lot of names to remember along with their concepts, a lot to remember, and you need to evaluate a lot.

Psychology
Advantages: the course is more straightforward, with more concise knowledge needed, as well as some room for debate (ethics).
Disadvantages: mathematical/statistical elements might deter you, again remembering names/concepts, and a pretty long paper.

At A2
Sociology expands on the concepts and theorists you learn at AS and makes you apply it in different ways with new perspectives (e.g. at AS you might know Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism etc but at A2 you have to know Weberianism etc.) and linking it to new circumstances and issues - e.g. doing education at AS could be linked to crime in A2 if you talk about anti-school subcultures being more likely to break the law.

Psychology takes what you know already from AS and expands upon it with new topics that might seemingly contradict old ones, hence bringing new amounts of debate into the mix. For example, one study on depression at AS might be counteracted with a conflicting account at A2 - as well as research methods being an integral part of the course both at AS and A2.

At university and as a career
Sociology is arguably the weaker one, with very few sectors specifically related to it - which is true of all Arts degrees. You would be looking at roughly £21,000 starting wage, and would learn skills of communication, reasoning and debating, as well as an understanding of people and current issues - politics is a common field graduates go on to.
Psychology however does require more work - unless you're aiming to teach, you will generally need to go on and get an MSc in Psychology, or even a PhD if you want to work in psychological research. Psychology graduates have a larger field of careers to choose from, including law, politics and government, clinical psychiatry, neuroscience research* and teaching. However, if you choose this path you would be expected to be doing a science as well, usually biology or chemistry. You'll be using maths as well.

* neuroscience research at university and beyond often requires a science A Level, usually in chemistry.

Which should you pick?
It will depend on the person and their preferences - if you feel you are more scientifically minded, go for psychology. If you prefer debate and no set answer, or have an interest in politics and current affairs, go for sociology. And if you can't choose, take both! I'm currently doing A2 in both and I love them equally. For a career in either though, psychology is the safer bet, although it takes more work than sociology. If you asked me to pick though, I would say Psychology simply because of the nature of it being more fun.
amyanne98
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I did psychology at AS and I'm going on to do it at A2 this year, and it's easily my favourite subject - I'm even hoping to do it at university now. I love it because I find it so fascinating and you learn so many interesting things, some have even benefitted me in every day life. As I found it interesting, that also made it much easier to revise. The only negative for me is that there is a lot to remember, especially the studies and names of different psychologists (there is a lot). But overall I would definitely consider psychology, It's an amazing subject and I'm so excited to start it again in September!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (143)
66.51%
No (47)
21.86%
I didn't use it to prepare (25)
11.63%

Watched Threads