Senpai
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, so I just got my GCSE results today, Managed to get 1 A*, 7 a's and a B for maths (whew) Anyways, in our school if we get 5 A*-A we can choose 4 A levels, so I chose Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Economics. However our school forces us to do citizenship so I guess it's like 5 a levels. Personally idk if i'll be able to handle 5 so I'm thinking of dropping economics after a year, but some people have told me that AS year doesn't count anymore, and exams are only done at A2 - which means it would be pointless to take a subject and drop it. I'm really confused because on some specifications like aqa biology it said that we'll still do AS exams and it'll combine with A2 to give a total A-level (unless I read it wrong) Would anyone mind explaining to me how the system works, so I can call my school asap and drop economics if AS no longer counts. Thanks~
TimmyR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I made a thread trying to address the whole reforms issue
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3511095

Here is an article I referenced: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...confusion.html
kennz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Senpai)
Hey, so I just got my GCSE results today, Managed to get 1 A*, 7 a's and a B for maths (whew) Anyways, in our school if we get 5 A*-A we can choose 4 A levels, so I chose Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Economics. However our school forces us to do citizenship so I guess it's like 5 a levels. Personally idk if i'll be able to handle 5 so I'm thinking of dropping economics after a year, but some people have told me that AS year doesn't count anymore, and exams are only done at A2 - which means it would be pointless to take a subject and drop it. I'm really confused because on some specifications like aqa biology it said that we'll still do AS exams and it'll combine with A2 to give a total A-level (unless I read it wrong) Would anyone mind explaining to me how the system works, so I can call my school asap and drop economics if AS no longer counts. Thanks~
I think that you can take just the AS exams, but it may be a year later. So you may do AS exams during your A2, but predicted grades and any coursework may count towards an AS preliminary grade if its possible. So if you do AS exams, you get a grade and it means more Than just dropping the subject. But, avoid citizenship if you can as top universities hate it for science courses, which I'm assuming you will apply for given your subject choices. FYI, this is what I think and may not be entirely accurate.

Hope it helps
Bourbonator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Basically the reform means that rather than sitting a set of exams at the end of the first year (AS) and a set of exams at the end of the second year (A2) in order to complete your total A Level, what the government has decided to do is scrap the AS exams and have students just go through the two years and sit all the exams at the end of the two years.

Hope this helps
TimmyR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bourbonator)
Basically the reform means that rather than sitting a set of exams at the end of the first year (AS) and a set of exams at the end of the second year (A2) in order to complete your total A Level, what the government has decided to do is scrap the AS exams and have students just go through the two years and sit all the exams at the end of the two years.

Hope this helps
AS has not been scrapped at all.
It has just been de-coupled from the A level and has been reverted to a standalone qualification.
Apparently AS and A level is co-teachable though, even though AS will carry no weight in the A level like previous 50/50

(Original post by Senpai)
Boatj005.306
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay so for example OCR Chemistry had 2 exams sat at the end of AS, will those specific AS module exams be sat in the second year for the new A-levels. And if so, would that mean ALL modules of the A-level be done in year 2, so therefore FOUR exams?!

(so confused)
Senpai
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by TimmyR)
AS has not been scrapped at all.
It has just been de-coupled from the A level and has been reverted to a standalone qualification.
Apparently AS and A level is co-teachable though, even though AS will carry no weight in the A level like previous 50/50
I think that clears it up, so does this mean that AS and A level are 2 different qualifications now? If so is there a point doing a subject up to AS only?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (135)
59.47%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (31)
13.66%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed