A* - Eng lit
A* - RS (short course)
A/A* Chemistry (getting remarked)
A - Physics
A - Chinese
B - French
B - Drama
B - Geography

I know many of the top universities in the UK can be picky about GCSEs, so I was wondering if you think these will be good enough. I plan to do something related to economics in university.
Jake54321
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi would my GCSE results give me a realistic chance of getting into Cambridge or LSE to study Economics? I got 6A*'s, 1A and 3B's, thanks for any help in advance
geoknowking
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Jake54321)
Hi would my GCSE results give me a realistic chance of getting into Cambridge or LSE to study Economics? I got 6A*'s, 1A and 3B's, thanks for any help in advance
Similar to my results. I personally believe that our results will be good enough if our A-level/IB grades are really good & our personal statements & interviews are good too. But a large amount of oxbridge/LSE graduates had all A*s & As putting us who have 3 Bs at a disadvantage.
Jake54321
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah true and thanks for the reply. What were your b's in?
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by geoknowking)
For my GCSEs I got:
A* - Maths
A* - Biology
A* - History
A* - Eng lan
A* - Eng lit
A* - RS (short course)
A/A* Chemistry (getting remarked)
A - Physics
A - Chinese
B - French
B - Drama
B - Geography

I know many of the top universities in the UK can be picky about GCSEs, so I was wondering if you think these will be good enough. I plan to do something related to economics in university.
Hello to both :wavey:

Firstly, congratulations on the great results!

Here's some info on Oxbridge:
"I don't think my grades are good enough for Oxbridge!
Oxbridge
There is a higher emphasis on GCSE grades at Oxford than there is at Cambridge, where in the past, your average UMS at AS is much more important. Time will tell how Cambridge change their admissions after the A Level changes, but at the minute we don't know how this will work so keep your eyes peeled for more information from them. There are, however, no set GCSE entry grades at either, but most applicants tend to have multiple A* grades. If you need any further advice on this, then post on these threads:
Are my grades good enough for Oxford?
Are my grades good enough for Cambridge?"

Taken from one of the official Results Day threads here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3479293

Hope that helps!
geoknowking
Rep:
?
Yeah true and thanks for the reply. What were your b's in?
Says in the original post: French, Geography & Drama. How about yours?
Jake54321
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Both Englishes and French
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Excepting medicine top unis don't give too much weight to GCSEs, they just want to see a lot of "A"; the fact you've got 3Bs isn't too important as you have a pretty good amount of GCSEs that are A or A* (I only did 9 GCSEs, though also some stupid IT diploma merit, and got offers from Bristol, Warwick, Bath and Exeter, plus a Cambridge interview, having the exact same grades as you if your chem goes up and if those last three subjects weren't there..). However it is an uncertain time with the A level changes and it may be advisable, particularly for Cambridge who I recall have spoke out against scrapping the AS-A2 structure of A levels due to their heavy use of AS UMS, to sit AS as another chance to show your capabilities.
The Awakening
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I heard Cambridge is literally the top Uni in the UK at the moment and for the past few years, and the good thing is they dont look into GCSEs that much, they focus on your Alevel grades so those should be fine I believe
geoknowking
Rep:
?
(Original post by gymrat)
I got A*A*A*A*A*AABBBB and got into LSE for econ, so PS and a level grades are more important. I say GCSEs play 10/15% in the whole application process, especially when a level grades are good.
Thanks for the reply, could I ask:

1. What year did you get into LSE?
2. What you took at A-levels?
3. What grades you got at A-levels?
4. What did you write in your personal statement?
&
5. What is the single most important thing to do Econ at LSE?
OrionMusicNet
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by geoknowking)
Thanks for the reply, could I ask:

1. What year did you get into LSE?
2. What you took at A-levels?
3. What grades you got at A-levels?
4. What did you write in your personal statement?
&
5. What is the single most important thing to do Econ at LSE?
I know I am not the guy you were asking and I am just starting my A2's but one thing that I urge you to do if you want to do economics at a university like LSE, Cambridge and even others is further maths. It strengthens your application so much and so will give you a much better chance of getting into any of those universities. Your GCSE's are fine by the way but make sure to boss you A-levels to get the best predicted grades possible.
Oscar1602
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I received my results yesterday and I achieved:

Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
History A*
Religious Studies (Phls/Apld Ethc) A*
English Language A
English Literature A
French A
Drama A

I'm looking to aim for Oxford/LSE/UCL after my A-Levels and I was wondering whether these GCSE grades are a strong addition to my candidate profile, give me a realistic chance of acheiving an interview and getting into one of these top universities? (I realise many other factors also come into it)
geoknowking
Rep:
?
yo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.47%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.23%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.29%

Watched Threads