Does anyone else not have a landline and only use a mobile phone?

Watch this thread
tootles44
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My parents have a landline but I only ever put down my mobile number.

Do you think landlines might become obsolete?
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
i have both
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Basically...yeah

Parents house, we don't have a proper landline as such but we have a VoIP line which from the outside world looks like a landline. They occasionally come in useful! But I don't see the need to pay line rental..

All my student houses and now this house I don't bother. I could set up a "landline" if I really wanted to tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1553267
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tootles44)
My parents have a landline but I only ever put down my mobile number.

Do you think landlines might become obsolete?
My parents used to do this but now we have a landline again but half the time it's scam and spam phone calls. I don't think its quite obsolete yet but i guessing in about 5-10 years then possibly..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lyuz)
My parents used to do this but now we have a landline again but half the time it's scam and spam phone calls. I don't think its quite obsolete yet but i guessing in about 5-10 years then possibly..

Posted from TSR Mobile
it better not be. that's just dumb. the only reason why it would stop being a thing is if these big new age electronic companies find some way to make smartphones mandatory. people already look at you like you're crazy for not having one. They did it with the digital antenna for tv.
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I do as do most people that I know. My boyfriend has a landline because of his internet package but he only ever uses his mobile. The people I know who have and regularly use them are age 40 plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1553267
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Man.bear.pig)
it better not be. that's just dumb. the only reason why it would stop being a thing is if these big new age electronic companies find some way to make smartphones mandatory. people already look at you like you're crazy for not having one. They did it with the digital antenna for tv.
Uhhh really? Is it that important? I admit when i didn't have one it was strange when people asked for the number but meh...most people use mobiles now. And wtf is digital antenna?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lyuz)
Uhhh really? Is it that important? I admit when i didn't have one it was strange when people asked for the number but meh...most people use mobiles now. And wtf is digital antenna?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what do you mean "uhh really?" and is what important?

ok yes, most people use mobiles. :indiff: what are you disputing with my post?

digital antenna. the invisible, built in version of this?

you'd put it ontop your tv and angle it for reception...? works with some channels, doesn't with others?...

well if you buy a tv these days, flat screen or the big box ones, you don't need those antenna anymore.

so I'm saying the smartphone companies might do the same with landline as tv companies did with antenna
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gemmam)
I do as do most people that I know. My boyfriend has a landline because of his internet package but he only ever uses his mobile. The people I know who have and regularly use them are age 40 plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol yes. as it comes with my cable/internet I use it, why not. Rarely use my smartphone when I'm at home, because why might as well make use of this package lol. but don't you think it's kinda messed up that landline coverage just comes with our package (and I'm sure we're paying more for it being included) when the cable and internet companies know most people don't even use landline?
username1553267
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
what do you mean "uhh really?" and is what important?

ok yes, most people use mobiles. :indiff: what are you disputing with my post?

digital antenna. the invisible, built in version of this?

you'd put it ontop your tv and angle it for reception...? works with some channels, doesn't with others?...

well if you buy a tv these days, flat screen or the big box ones, you don't need those antenna anymore.

so I'm saying the smartphone companies might do the same with landline as tv companies did with antenna
Have i misunderstood because you was kinda disputing my post? Yeah i know about analog antennas. So you're saying phone companies might make landlines built into mobile phones? That defeats the purpose...unless there was a wireless connection to other residents mobiles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lyuz)
Have i misunderstood because you was kinda disputing my post? Yeah i know about analog antennas. So you're saying phone companies might make landlines built into mobile phones? That defeats the purpose...unless there was a wireless connection to other residents mobiles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes analog antenna lol

and no I'm saying, smartphone companies might impose on society how imperative it is to have a smartphone, and so landline companies would get run out or bought up by smartphone companies, making landlines no longer. To answer OP about it becoming obsolete, that could be how.

I mentioned the antenna thing because that ^^^ is what happened to tv's needing an analog. Now TV's have digital antenna built in, or require HDMI cable cords for access. Or smart-tv's which access the internet/USB cords. With those, why would anyone buy this:

:rofl:
username1553267
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
yes analog antenna lol

and no I'm saying, smartphone companies might impose on society how imperative it is to have a smartphone, and so landline companies would get run out or bought up by smartphone companies, making landlines no longer. To answer OP about it becoming obsolete, that could be how.

I mentioned the antenna thing because that ^^^ is what happened to tv's needing an analog. Now TV's have digital antenna built in, or require HDMI cable cords for access. Or smart-tv's which access the internet/USB cords. With those, why would anyone buy this:

:rofl:
Pfft lol okay i get it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lyuz)
Pfft lol okay i get it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ha, ok. :yy:
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
As before i have a VoIP line set up at my parents house. They pay... £0.00/montj for it. Incoming calls are free. Outgoing calls afe on a PAYG basis and theyre still a **** tonne cheaper than the telcos
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads