Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Panorama 06/06/04: The UK Drink Problem watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After watching this tonight and also taking into account my personal experience of seeing city centres between 8pm and 3am I must say that we do have a serious booze problem in this country.

The attempt to create a "cafe culture" ala Europe has failed and instead we just have big groups of lads and lasses marauding drunkenly from one pub to the next.

So what is the solution, the latest claim is that relaxing licencing laws won't work. Where do we go from here?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see it unfortunately, but out of interest which cities did it focus on?

I'm quite interested in that issue, in particular Manchester's failure to imitate cafe culture.

ReputationRep:
    I think relaxed licening laws will help a bit because people will be under less preasure to drink as fast. The UK does have a drink problem though which a visit to a French McDonalds reveals as they sell cheap lager and nobody gets goes their to get pissed.

Its yob culture I think more than anything. I must admit the last few times I've been out I've had no more than 3 pints.

ReputationRep:
    What are european cities like at night? I can't imagine Paris/Amsterdam etc are that less rowdy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    What are european cities like at night? I can't imagine Paris/Amsterdam etc are that less rowdy.
    I am not sure, I can see that Edinburgh seemed a lot worse than Manchester does at 2:00am on a saturday night. Paris seemed fine, there was no drunk problems at all, so was Amsterdam but Paris is such a big city its too hard to say.

Amsterdam had a very relaxed drink culture, however Amsterdam is a bad example again.

In Lille there was a few problems with drunks, but not really yobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I am not sure, I can see that Edinburgh seemed a lot worse than Manchester does at 2:00am on a saturday night. Paris seemed fine, there was no drunk problems at all, so was Amsterdam but Paris is such a big city its too hard to say.

Amsterdam had a very relaxed drink culture, however Amsterdam is a bad example again.

In Lille there was a few problems with drunks, but not really yobs.

I see. Interesting. Because Amsterdam is not that much different from Manchester in scale, or layout, or structure, is it? It just seems considerably more dense with a more bohemian population.

I never see people drinking on the streets in Manchester, maybe I'm being naive, but it seems like the threat of huge fines seems to work. Similarly those (poor) people employed to generally look after the public and get people into taxis etc are a good thing to see around.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Interesting. Because Amsterdam is not that much different from Manchester in scale, or layout, or structure, is it? It just seems considerably more dense with a more bohemian population.

I never see people drinking on the streets in Manchester, maybe I'm being naive, but it seems like the threat of huge fines seems to work. Similarly those (poor) people employed to generally look after the public and get people into taxis etc are a good thing to see around.
    Yeah its always re-asuring knowing they are coppers outside the bus stop on Oxford Road when I wait for the bus at 3:00am. I am guessing most the scallies at night will hang round Oldham Road after a night out at Piciddilly 21's.

ReputationRep:
    They're not. The idea of the UK having a drinking problem is a concoction of the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    They're not. The idea of the UK having a drinking problem is a concoction of the Daily Mail.
    You may have a point, but the yobbism thing seems to be mainly confined to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    It focused on Nottingham as this is where the police have started to give major opposition to new licence applications. It is also one of the worst cities for drink fuelled violence.

Personally I think that the problem lies in British culture, I have spent time in other European cities and not seen anything as bad as I do over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    The idea of the UK having a drinking problem is a concoction of the Daily Mail.
    So you have never seen the carnage that takes place in most major UK cities on the weekend? It is a fact that we have a booze culture in this country, and it shows in many ways!

Ever noticed how alot of people seem to be very much "larger" then in years gone by? .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    So you have never seen the carnage that takes place in most major UK cities on the weekend? It is a fact that we have a booze culture in this country, and it shows in many ways!
    You misquoted me. Oddly parallel to the way the Mail will twist statistics.

You can't attribute weight gain in the population to drinking, as the child population is similarly overweight.

ReputationRep:
    I think that over indulging in alcohol consumption has played a big part in the weight gain thing.

The average person would have to go on a 4 mile run to work off two pints of beer, surly logic dictates that if people are going out knocking back 5-10 pints a weekend then this is contributing to their ever expanding wasteline.

From a male perspective I have noticed it particularly in women. Many girls I knew who were "fit as a fiddle" duriing their GCSE's and sixth form have gone to uni or the workplace and startred boozing big time. As they are no longer in an environment where physical education or activity is compulsory they inevitably gain weight. It is really wierd when I see a girl who was really pretty at school only to see what five years hammering the drink and **** has done to her.

As for the children issue this is the "junk food" culture that we have adopted especially in the last five years. Another major problem that needs tackling too.

ReputationRep:
    Many girls I knew who were "fit as a fiddle" duriing their GCSE's and sixth form have gone to uni or the workplace and startred boozing big time. As they are no longer in an environment where physical education or activity is compulsory they inevitably gain weight. It is really wierd when I see a girl who was really pretty at school only to see what five years hammering the drink and **** has done to her.
    SEXIST :eek: Exactly the smae thing happens to lads too. By the time they leave uni most of them have given up exercise and are beginning to get a bit of a beer belly. The only difference is that because they stop growing a couple of years after girls theyve also got a couple more years before the pounds start to pile on!

ReputationRep:
    In the UK a lot of people go out just to get plastered in other countries drink just helps the evening flow kinda :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smaug)
    SEXIST :eek: Exactly the smae thing happens to lads too. By the time they leave uni most of them have given up exercise and are beginning to get a bit of a beer belly. The only difference is that because they stop growing a couple of years after girls theyve also got a couple more years before the pounds start to pile on!
    How is this sexist? I am not discriminating against women. I stated that as a bloke I noticed it *particularly* in women. I did not say that it didnt happen in men. However I think that males are more likley to maintain some physical activity through things like Sunday league football etc...

ReputationRep:
    From a male perspective I have noticed it particularly in women. Many girls I knew who were "fit as a fiddle" duriing their GCSE's and sixth form have gone to uni or the workplace and startred boozing big time. As they are no longer in an environment where physical education or activity is compulsory they inevitably gain weight. It is really wierd when I see a girl who was really pretty at school only to see what five years hammering the drink and **** has done to her.
    That's not a drink problem, then. The problem is that they're too lazy to exercise.

ReputationRep:
    That show was brilliant! I'm well and truely up for Nottingham now... so many bars and clubs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    That show was brilliant! I'm well and truely up for Nottingham now... so many bars and clubs!
    hahaha - thats where i'm planning to spend the next 4 years of my life starting september. what was it again? 352 bars in a sqaure mile?

ReputationRep:
    The difference I believe with the cafe culture in Europe and the binge culture of us Brits is because of the licensing laws. HOWEVER, I believe that if we were to change them now it wouldn't improve it (though I'd like very much for them to extend the hours) because we have this whole binge drinking thing stuck in our minds now. It's cultural.

In France, sure they stay open all night. However when I went on a French exchange in April we ended up sitting in the same place for 4 hours and we only had one drink. It was dull, most of the binge drinking I also believe is related to the fact of you can't drink until 18. Because of the "taboo" on acquiring alcohol we seem to try and make up for the years the best we could do was sit on a bench and share a bottle of White Lightning or Lambrini.

It is because of these laws we've developed this binge culture, and no change in law is going to change that because that's the thing that is stuck in us as a "norm" now.

Personally, I'm drunk by 9pm. I actually fell over (again) the other night, off some steps and I've got the most horrific cuts that are really deep and are going to scar. It was because I was drinking so much because closing time was coming soon.
    A lot of people I know (myself included) when last orders is called will go and buy 2/3 drinks and drink them really fast whilst we discuss who's house we're going to back to and who has alcohol. Prolonging any hours would be useless because there would be no taxis running, the tubes in London stop at twelve and I don't know anywhere near here that has a night bus.
    You'd just end up with a lot of noise disturbance even later than is necessary.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.