The Student Room Group

Universities with the most mature-friendly admissions policies.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dennismubaiwa
University of Cambridge

1. Has 4 colleges which admit only mature students (undergrad) - 3 if you're male
2. Has a second UCAS application deadline which ends in March for mature applicants. October (or January for that matter) is too early for students on Access Courses.
3. Genuinely value work experience - at least they seem to (if available)
4. Seem to regard Open University Credits and Access - in fact, when I was there, most mature students had been admitted via Access.
5. Genuinely interested in current performance. Many mature students with a poor academic history avoid applying, but my really shoddy A-level grades from 7 years back were pretty much ignored.

The only drawback is that they have very high requirements for Access Courses.

Hi there. I'm just wondering, do you think you would stand a better chance with Cambridge if you did A-level? (Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know much about Access Courses) And which college did you apply to?
It's worth remembering that different departments within the same university can have very different attitudes towards mature students. The reaction I had from the physics admissions tutor at University of Southampton at an open day was downright hostile. Without even enquiring about my qualifications, she told me not to bother applying as I would be rejected. She grudgingly admitted that I might be considered for foundation, but said it wasn't intended for mature students. Several people from my Access course applied for the foundation year, but I was the only one who received an offer (54/60 distinctions). However, I know other departments at Southampton are more welcoming, particularly within the health sector degrees.

University of Surrey were very friendly when I went to their open day, but then subsequently ignored my application - I didn't get an offer or a rejection from them, and got brushed off when I phoned or emailed. The same thing happened to a guy I know at my current university.

Royal Holloway and the University of Portsmouth, happily, were friendly, helpful and prompt with their offers. I heard back from both of them within a fortnight. Their standard offers are 30D/15M for Royal Holloway and 45M for Portsmouth.
Original post by lledrith
Just expressing some delight and confirmation at the way Exeter deals with mature students regarding it's entry requirements. 21 credits at merit felt like the kindest safety net offer when it came to applications, as opposed to A*AB for some of the younger students.

Fair enough, but I got an offer from Exeter so late in the process that all the Applicant Days had passed, which prevented me from making a fully informed decision about the offer. Either they didn't realise or didn't care, but neither case endeared me to them.
Original post by shinsukato
Compare this to Cambridge, who have even higher requirements, but were incredibly helpful and accomodating, encouraged me to apply and let me know how I could present a good application. Edinburgh were not interested in being helpful.

I think the fact Cambridge are so welcoming to mature students shames these other lower status unis that aren't. Nevertheless, irrespective of the status or prestige of the uni, if you get the cold shoulder from them as a mature candidate, you might as well just move on and look elsewhere for a more welcoming uni. I suppose it's their prerogative to be dismissive of mature candidates if they so wish.
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Fair enough, but I got an offer from Exeter so late in the process that all the Applicant Days had passed, which prevented me from making a fully informed decision about the offer. Either they didn't realise or didn't care, but neither case endeared me to them.

You're not alone there, they were quite slow to make a decision for me too, and it was a little bit agonising when they were my main choice, and other offers had already been made months previously.

I guess I am mostly referring to attitudes and admission requirements with my praise; but I agree that there's not much logic in making offers after the applicant days were done with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone applied to Oxford? I wonder if they are as friendly as Cambridge.
Reply 26
In my limited dealings with Edinburgh, they've struck me as being quite supercilious and up themselves. I don't think it's limited to mature students. They just generally have an inflated idea of their own importance.
I applied to Aston, Wolverhampton, Coventry, BCU and University of Birmingham. I felt both Wolves and Coventry treated me the same as younger students and I received offers from both within 3 days (access 15 merits and 30 merits respectively). BCU were encouraging throughout although after attending their open day I found them disorganised, they replied the next day with an offer of just a pass from my course. Aston were also helpful throughout but took a month to reply with an offer of 30D/15M, which I exceeded (gaining 45D) and I will be attending next month.
UoB were dismissive of me from the start, firstly telling me that my GCSEs were out of date after 19 years and that I should retake them. When I later disputed this they told me that I could apply but didn't respond after 3 months so I withdrew my application. In my dealings with them they always seemed uninterested and I felt they favoured younger and international students, this may not always be the case but this was certainly the impression they left me with.
In all cases I was dealing with the universities business school looking to take economics or finance.
Original post by nonameyet
Has anyone applied to Oxford? I wonder if they are as friendly as Cambridge.

Considered both, but ultimately didn't apply to either. The evidence suggests Cambridge are the 'friendlier' - see dennismubaiwa's list on this thread, and then consider that Oxford only have one mature college (Harris Manchester) and that mature candidates have to apply by the same 15th October deadline as 'normal age' candidates. That makes it extremely difficult if not impossible for an 1yr Access student to apply to Oxford for the following year, so if you really want to apply to them you're forced to gamble and take a year out.
If we're on to which Unis are most welcoming of mature students I'll back up what others have said about Edinburgh, Surrey and Bristol being a bit ****ty, and stick in a good word for RHUL, QMUL, Kent, Lancaster (so lovely and helpful), and Essex. And Cambridge, obvs.

Oh yeah - Goldsmiths can suck a chubby.
Hi there. I'm just wondering, do you think you would stand a better chance with Cambridge if you did A-level? (Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know much about Access Courses) And which college did you apply to?

This is a tricky question to answer. I attended a shadowing scheme and spoke to an admissions tutor who simply said all applications were assessed holistically and contextually. Above all, they were looking for academic ability.

A-levels are objectively more rigorous than Access and provide better preparation - in fact, I read somewhere that Access Students don't perform as well as A-level students at Cambridge (on average). So from that perspective, it would seem as though taking A-levels provides some sort of advantage, though you'd perhaps need to present high UMS scores (90+). However, I still can't see why - if you're capable - you'd be unable to demonstrate your capability via a different route i.e. Access or OU. Bear in mind, you still need to make it through the interview + tests etc.

Still, contextually speaking, mature students are unable/unwilling to take A-levels for a number of perfectly justifiable reasons. I think the admissions tutors know this.

So to answer your question, perhaps doing extremely well at A-levels makes you more likely to be interviewed, but then it's up to you (and them) from there.

I applied to Wolfson College btw, and they were extremely helpful/informative/friendly/[insert_other_positive_adjective]. I was encouraged all the way through and also, the undergraduate administrator for the college is incredible. Compared to other unis I spoke to, this was by far my most positive experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Has everybody forgotten the Open University?
I know they don't have the best reputation on this forum, but as a mature student I have nothing but praise for London Metropolitan. They consider non-traditional qualifications and relevant work experience (I didn't do an Access course but have OU undergraduate credits and practical experience in the field I'm going to study), and were very friendly, encouraging and helpful throughout the application process.
This is a tricky question to answer. I attended a shadowing scheme and spoke to an admissions tutor who simply said all applications were assessed holistically and contextually. Above all, they were looking for academic ability.

A-levels are objectively more rigorous than Access and provide better preparation - in fact, I read somewhere that Access Students don't perform as well as A-level students at Cambridge (on average). So from that perspective, it would seem as though taking A-levels provides some sort of advantage, though you'd perhaps need to present high UMS scores (90+). However, I still can't see why - if you're capable - you'd be unable to demonstrate your capability via a different route i.e. Access or OU. Bear in mind, you still need to make it through the interview + tests etc.

Still, contextually speaking, mature students are unable/unwilling to take A-levels for a number of perfectly justifiable reasons. I think the admissions tutors know this.

So to answer your question, perhaps doing extremely well at A-levels makes you more likely to be interviewed, but then it's up to you (and them) from there.

I applied to Wolfson College btw, and they were extremely helpful/informative/friendly/[insert_other_positive_adjective]. I was encouraged all the way through and also, the undergraduate administrator for the college is incredible. Compared to other unis I spoke to, this was by far my most positive experience.

I also applied to wolfson and although they said my OU studies were commendable, my lack of a further maths a level was my bar to entry. Having said that they did say they would be more than happy to consider me for postgraduate study when the time was right
Original post by tim_123
I also applied to wolfson and although they said my OU studies were commendable, my lack of a further maths a level was my bar to entry. Having said that they did say they would be more than happy to consider me for postgraduate study when the time was right

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that your application was unsuccessful - what course did you apply for? I spoke to the undergrad admin before I sent off my application to confirm that what I had was adequate. My application was for HSPS btw, so maths was unnecessary.
Keep thinking of other things...

Bristol - got an interview offer from them, but didn't attend (uni wouldn't have been right for me for various reasons). Nonetheless, I did speak at length to a tutor at my college who'd been there as a mature student and loved it, but that's hearsay evidence, of course.

Cambridge - IIRC, lower income applicants are given priority for places at the Mature Students Summer School, but if you're accepted onto it, it's free. Oxford's equivalent is quite pricey, I think. Cambridge also offer an enhanced bursary for mature candidates who live in the area year round, i.e. aren't going back home elsewhere during holidays.

Imo, the fact that Oxford and Cambridge offer mature summer schools and mature colleges at all does put them both up at or near the top of the list in terms of their mature-friendliness, even if Cambridge perhaps has the edge. How much of an advantage the additional bursary is at Cambridge would also vary according to the applicant's circumstances. I believe Oxford offer reduced tuition fees for those on a low income; that might work out better for some.
Hey, I'm sorry to hear that your application was unsuccessful - what course did you apply for? I spoke to the undergrad admin before I sent off my application to confirm that what I had was adequate. My application was for HSPS btw, so maths was unnecessary.

Comp sci. I'm grateful my app was not successful, I would not have been ready for the theoretical aspects of the course nor the maths required. As it stands Im off to a world leader in cyber security and I couldn't be happier.
Reply 37
I've found Surrey to be very mature friendly during the application process. I certainly didn't feel I was treated any different to how any other student would be. My application was processed quickly, a reasonable offer made (30 distinctions, 15 merits for an AAB course) and once they had my transcript my offer was confirmed pretty much straight away (Medicinal Chemistry). They even have a mature learner pre-entry day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there. I'm just wondering, do you think you would stand a better chance with Cambridge if you did A-level?
Cambridge don't accept Access for Natural Sciences, but I think they are fairly even-handed for the subjects where it is an approved qualification.

On another topic, I forgot to add that Royal Holloway offer a £1000 bursary for each year of your course if you came through an Access programme.

I see. In fact, I've already done AS-level and got my results. My UMS average is a bit odd with three strong ones and a very weak one. Admissions told me that I'm extremely likely to get an interview given my case.

Why did you choose a mature college over non-mature colleges, if I may ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending