The Student Room Group

Cant decide what course to pick!? Help needed! Whats your opinion? Physics v Comp sci

Hi,
so yeah, as the title suggests, I am stuck regarding which uni course to apply to. It is between computer science, and physics (with astrophysics if possible), and was wondering what you guys think, as I genuinely cannot make my mind up.
So I'll give you a quick run-down of why i'm stuck.
Computer science:
Pros:
-Interesting subject, when coding its often like a puzzle, it involves a lot of problem solving skills, so it's very rewarding to finally get a program to work correctly or function a certain way.
-I would love to go into software development, or more specifically game programming, (I usually hear sighs at this point), but it's not because is video games, but because the work place environment seem incredibly comfortable and I'd get to work with some really, really great people. Being honest it would be a dream job of mine.
-One of the highest paid jobs for those graduating
-Actually get an end product, some jobs e.g. the checkout job I have now, often feel endless, I come in scan things go home, do it all again, for a programmer, you will work hard on something different everyday, gradually progressing to a finished product which you made. I dunno, to me that seems really, really cool and rewarding.
Cons:
-Could possibly get boring after 20 years, sitting at a computer screen typing away, although I don't think that would be the case in games programming, as its an exciting, new thing every year or two, permitted I get the job I want.
-Narrow field compared to physics, there are a lot of jobs in programming, however, of course they're all the same. Problem being that if I don't like it, I'm stuck with it, I'll be typing away at code for a while
-Some companies are brutal, they force you to work overtime with no pay, come in weekends etc. This is known as crunch time, not sure if it's named that because thats the sound my mental stability would make during that heavy workload and high pressure time.
-Doesnt have the aura of a physics degree, you say you want to do physics people act shocked, "wow", I say computer science, "oh, that's cool".

Physics:
Pros:
-I really enjoy physics and find myself naturally understanding a lot of it! I got 280/300 ums on my AS physics, not what I was aiming for, but I fluffed up my mechanics paper a bit, 75/90 but pulled it back by getting 150/150 on my second paper. The second paper (G482 if you want to look it up), for me always had the much more interesting topics, quantum mechanics, waves, electricity, all of it I understood and thought was really cool.
-Really fascinated with physics & space stuff (astrophysics). Not like star trek or star wars, but black holes, white holes, neutron stars, dark matter etc. how the things around us work and interact. It just all seems so crazy and fascinating as to how these things come to exist and how they work.
-More field to go into, with a physics degree I have been told I can jump from field to field easier, so e.g. I got into finance, dont enjoy it, I can go into research, don't enjoy that I could go into another field etc.
cons:
-Not really sure I'd enjoy being a physicist, I want to do physics at uni just because I want to learn more, because it fascinates me, but I'm really not sure how much time I'd be spending in a lab or doing theoretical physics, of course I would have to choose whether I would be theoretical or experimental.
-Not going to lead me to my favourite/dream job, not sure how much computer science is within physics, apparently there's a bit.
-Don't really want to go into the field unless I make a contribution to it, like have some sort of impact regarding our knowledge of the universe etc. But that would be very unlikely, and besides, those people who do discover things often, have already gone to university at the age of 16, they're geniuses and I'm just above average.
So run down:
Interest in course:
Physics 10/10
Computer science 8/10
Interest in jobs attainable when leaving:
Physics 7.5/10
Computer science 9/10 (bearing in mind I can get into the industry I want)
Some advice would really, really help me out!
Hopefully you can see why I'm torn between the two, but I really do need some help!
Original post by Danny.L
Hi,
so yeah, as the title suggests, I am stuck regarding which uni course to apply to. It is between computer science, and physics (with astrophysics if possible), and was wondering what you guys think, as I genuinely cannot make my mind up.
So I'll give you a quick run-down of why i'm stuck.
Computer science:
Pros:
-Interesting subject, when coding its often like a puzzle, it involves a lot of problem solving skills, so it's very rewarding to finally get a program to work correctly or function a certain way.
-I would love to go into software development, or more specifically game programming, (I usually hear sighs at this point), but it's not because is video games, but because the work place environment seem incredibly comfortable and I'd get to work with some really, really great people. Being honest it would be a dream job of mine.
-One of the highest paid jobs for those graduating
-Actually get an end product, some jobs e.g. the checkout job I have now, often feel endless, I come in scan things go home, do it all again, for a programmer, you will work hard on something different everyday, gradually progressing to a finished product which you made. I dunno, to me that seems really, really cool and rewarding.
Cons:
-Could possibly get boring after 20 years, sitting at a computer screen typing away, although I don't think that would be the case in games programming, as its an exciting, new thing every year or two, permitted I get the job I want.
-Narrow field compared to physics, there are a lot of jobs in programming, however, of course they're all the same. Problem being that if I don't like it, I'm stuck with it, I'll be typing away at code for a while
-Some companies are brutal, they force you to work overtime with no pay, come in weekends etc. This is known as crunch time, not sure if it's named that because thats the sound my mental stability would make during that heavy workload and high pressure time.
-Doesnt have the aura of a physics degree, you say you want to do physics people act shocked, "wow", I say computer science, "oh, that's cool".

Physics:
Pros:
-I really enjoy physics and find myself naturally understanding a lot of it! I got 280/300 ums on my AS physics, not what I was aiming for, but I fluffed up my mechanics paper a bit, 75/90 but pulled it back by getting 150/150 on my second paper. The second paper (G482 if you want to look it up), for me always had the much more interesting topics, quantum mechanics, waves, electricity, all of it I understood and thought was really cool.
-Really fascinated with physics & space stuff (astrophysics). Not like star trek or star wars, but black holes, white holes, neutron stars, dark matter etc. how the things around us work and interact. It just all seems so crazy and fascinating as to how these things come to exist and how they work.
-More field to go into, with a physics degree I have been told I can jump from field to field easier, so e.g. I got into finance, dont enjoy it, I can go into research, don't enjoy that I could go into another field etc.
cons:
-Not really sure I'd enjoy being a physicist, I want to do physics at uni just because I want to learn more, because it fascinates me, but I'm really not sure how much time I'd be spending in a lab or doing theoretical physics, of course I would have to choose whether I would be theoretical or experimental.
-Not going to lead me to my favourite/dream job, not sure how much computer science is within physics, apparently there's a bit.
-Don't really want to go into the field unless I make a contribution to it, like have some sort of impact regarding our knowledge of the universe etc. But that would be very unlikely, and besides, those people who do discover things often, have already gone to university at the age of 16, they're geniuses and I'm just above average.
So run down:
Interest in course:
Physics 10/10
Computer science 8/10
Interest in jobs attainable when leaving:
Physics 7.5/10
Computer science 9/10 (bearing in mind I can get into the industry I want)
Some advice would really, really help me out!
Hopefully you can see why I'm torn between the two, but I really do need some help!

1. Computer science probably has better career prospects
2. you can still go into things like finance with computer science (and almost every degree subject)
3. you probably won't get into research so you will need to have a back up you will be happy with (though you can still aim for research)
4. Most universities allow you to change between physics and theoretical physics up to end of year one and some make you do lab for first year theoretical physics anyway
5. If you want to be a software dev/game programmer etc then do comp sci but if you're not sure then remember you can still get into it with a physics degree (just less companies will accept a physics degree)
6. You will probably find yourself getting bored of whatever you do for 20 years and a lot of theoretical physics is programming based anyway
7. there's no comp sci theory in physics but there is a tiny bit of programming (though if you wanted to career in it you would need to self teach yourself more languages ie java, c++)

If your dream job is in software development etc then go do comp sci not physics

You say you wouldn't want to go into the physics research field unless you can make a contribution, if you mean something like einsteins, bohrs, hawkings, faradays level of contribution then definitely dont go into it

Example

I am doing physics and either want to go into physics research, medical physics (both requiring a physics degree) or something to do with quant finance (entry requiring a phd in physics, maths or comp sci) or get into a hedge fund eventually (any degree) so my degree will be revelant to what I want to do BUT as I mentioned if you want a career in software dev etc then go do comp sci
btw CompSci is not a narrow field compared to physics. You can get into any field with CS. From agriculture to rocket science. You mentioned a lot of pro's and cons yourself and I'll say go for CS. A physics degree doesn't mean sh!t until after you have a PHD. If you don't have a phd you cant actually get into the field/ get to the top positions, you'll probably end up being a lab assistant/teacher or go into a completely different career. Also let me point out you have high chance of getting a job at CERN by being a programmer than being a physicist.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bigboateng
btw CompSci is not a narrow field compared to physics. You can get into any field with CS. From agriculture to rocket science. You mentioned a lot of pro's and cons yourself and I'll say go for CS. A physics degree doesn't mean sh!t until after you have a PHD. If you don't have a phd you cant actually get into the field/ get to the top positions, you'll probably end up being a lab assistant/teacher or go into a completely different career. Also let me point out you have high chance of getting a job at CERN by being a programmer than being a physicist.

Jesus, really!?
That would be a dream job, too. Do you have any figures or sources about those jobs at cern? Would be interested to read?
Go look at physics course modules. EVERY accredited physics course must have computing as a compulsory module. Although the compulsory stuff is fairly introductory level, some unis offer optional modules in computing that get prettttyyyy tough. Also, you actually use your computing in your physics projects, which in its self can be more useful than just knowing every program language under the sun.... Talking of astrophysics, a guy at bath I think had built a program that measured the oscillations of the sun to work out its makeup or something :wink: So if you enjoy physics and computing, why not do both?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
From the way you talk about your options, physics seems like the best choice as you are clearly more interested in it. Not sure why some of the above people are rubbishing the career prospects of physics graduates as they tend to be able to get into everything from research to finance to engineering to IT and whatever else. You can also get physics degrees with a larger portion of programming than normal too. For example, I know that Edinburgh does a degree in Computational Physics which is all about modelling phenomena with computers and the best ways to create simulations. You could also just do a joint degree in physics and computer science which is a fairly normal combination.

I'd also like to point out that computer science is much more than just programming. :tongue:
have you considered electronic engineering? it has quite a few topics from computer science (networks, programming, algorithms) as well as alot of physics and mathematics topics.
Original post by Danny.L
Jesus, really!?
That would be a dream job, too. Do you have any figures or sources about those jobs at cern? Would be interested to read?

The guy who made C++ said it in an interview after he visited CERN. I can't actually find the video but it makes sense, all those particle interactions require heavy computing for calculations etc so it makes sense that more CS/engineering people are hired. And yes some physics degree teach programming but that's completely different to what you learn in CS. CS dives in depth into data structures, efficiency (big O) and whole lot that I don't know about. The programming in physics will be more of computation (so using libraries like numpy for calculations in Python) although if you are interested in it enough you will probably learn more stuff in your spare time.

I have a friend who is going to start a maths degree but is a very good programmer, if he continues he will could go into a field hat requires CS because not only is he good at maths, but has lots of years of experience in programming. However if he relied on what he is thought on the degree alone then probably won't be that suitable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending