Important Notice For As/a2 Candidates Watch

This discussion is closed.
btigershark
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
For those of u takin ur AS exams this summer, u wanna know how to get into one of the best unis in the country with average G.C.S.E's and poor AS results!!! Heres how!!

For my G.C.S.E's I managed to get 1 A, 3 B's and 3 C's which is average
For my AS levels (in not particularly academic subjects) I scraped (CDDE)

I managed to get into Nottingham (top 10 uni) to do American Studies (which has approximately 1120 applications for a 70 place course that gives out a typical offer of ABB) I was given a BBB.

HERE'S HOW: First of all, you don't have to put down all of ur AS grades (if they are shocking) u only have to put down the one u dropped. However this was still the E grade which i got, so what i then did was spend approximately four months on my personal statement (which turned out to be excellent- as commented by a teacher) and then convince my subject teachers to raise my estimated grades to an ABB/BBB. In my A2 year, i took all my exams again and some courseworks and so far so good, i'm now on track to get the grades for the conditional offer at Nottingham so if i can do it, so can u
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by btigershark)
For those of u takin ur AS exams this summer, u wanna know how to get into one of the best unis in the country with average G.C.S.E's and poor AS results!!! Heres how!!

For my G.C.S.E's I managed to get 1 A, 3 B's and 3 C's which is average
For my AS levels (in not particularly academic subjects) I scraped (CDDE)

I managed to get into Nottingham (top 10 uni) to do American Studies (which has approximately 1120 applications for a 70 place course that gives out a typical offer of ABB) I was given a BBB.

HERE'S HOW: First of all, you don't have to put down all of ur AS grades (if they are shocking) u only have to put down the one u dropped. However this was still the E grade which i got, so what i then did was spend approximately four months on my personal statement (which turned out to be excellent- as commented by a teacher) and then convince my subject teachers to raise my estimated grades to an ABB/BBB. In my A2 year, i took all my exams again and some courseworks and so far so good, i'm now on track to get the grades for the conditional offer at Nottingham so if i can do it, so can u
I got 4Bs and 4Cs at GCSE, evidently alot worse than you. I got BBD at AS level, I spent 1 week on my personal statement...Im going to York. I didnt do anything special for my application, whats your point?
btigershark
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Well first of all u got one more good G.C.S.E. pass. Secondly u got much better AS results than me and thirdly, my point is that not many people realise that they don't have to show their AS results if they feel that bad results may cost them a good place at a good uni.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In my opinion, I think this would work for some people.
Elle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol.. that's crazy.. well not crazy.. but when you think that more than 2,000 AAA applicants are turned away from Nottingham for Law it seems like it is
F. Poste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Four months?!?! I spent about an hour on my PS and I was sick to the sight of it by then.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
lol.. that's crazy.. well not crazy.. but when you think that more than 2,000 AAA applicants are turned away from Nottingham for Law it seems like it is
Yes but that's law, one of the most oversubscribed subjects in the country that make the ratio for american studies look silly. I also think law at a top university's a bit self selecting with the grades. People who haven't done too well know they're not going to get a look in, with all the straight A candidates going for law.
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You're still going to need to get the BBB first to actually get in, and then you have to cope with the course itself. It's going to be taught at ABB student coping levels for three years so you've got to be prepared to work. Just getting onto a course at a top uni won't guarantee you come out of it with a decent degree.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (52)
98.11%
No (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads