The Student Room Group

questioning my A-level choice

So i got my results yesterday and now i think that maybe i should change one of my A-levels. I originally picked to take art, maths, business and psychology, however i didn't take psychology at GCSE and know wondering if i should take Biology instead. I really enjoyed biology at GCSE level and i am worried that due to not having done psychology at GCSE i will struggle at A-level. Should i change psychology to biology ?
Original post by rachaeldodd
So i got my results yesterday and now i think that maybe i should change one of my A-levels. I originally picked to take art, maths, business and psychology, however i didn't take psychology at GCSE and know wondering if i should take Biology instead. I really enjoyed biology at GCSE level and i am worried that due to not having done psychology at GCSE i will struggle at A-level. Should i change psychology to biology ?

Literally nobody who does Psychology at A Level would have also done it at GCSE so that isn't an issue at all
As a previous A-Level psychology student, knowing people who did it at GCSE and A-Level, I can assure you that everything you do in your first year of psychology (AS) will bring you up to speed with the GCSE. My anthropology/psychology lecturer was also the Principal Examiner for GCSE Psychology (AQA), and he told us that we didn't need the GCSE for the A-Level

So, pick what you enjoy most :smile:

At many schools, psychology is not offered at GCSE, but is offered at A Level. The students don't usually have a problem starting with course.

Biology and Psychology A Levels are quite different, psychology feels a lot more like a humanity than a science. It's a lot of remembering studies, and behaviours. If you enjoyed Biology at GCSE, then I'd definitely take it to AS. Not only is it really interesting, it is the more respected of the two, and given your Buisness and Art A Levels aren't the most respected( I don't understand why, art shows amazing skill and dedication),it may help

Why not do both, and get rid of business ? Many universities don't take it seriously. Maths, Biology, Psychology and Art would be a great set of A Levels

As long as you had a good reason for taking psychology in the first place, and it wasn't just because a teacher/careers advisor told you to because you had no other ideas, you'll be fine!

As a side note, have you done GCSE Triple Science? I hear that it makes the transition to A-Level Biology a lot more manageable, and it could be very difficult to try and keep up with other students, who most likely would have taken Triple Science.

Don't rush into this kind of decision without researching what the course content of A-Level Biology would be for your sixth form etc. and maybe taking a look at examples of work you'll be expected to do, throughout the year. :smile:

Also, remember that you still have maybe the first few weeks of sixth form to change courses if you really need to (although it isn't really preferable to do that). However, as Biology is usually a high-demand course, it may be harder to change from Psychology to Biology, rather than Biology to Psychology (although Psychology is a rather high demand course too to be honest).

Just weighing it out for you, but it's up to you! :biggrin: I hope you make the right decision for you, be sure to keep us updated too! :P
Original post by Big Blue Machine
At many schools, psychology is not offered at GCSE, but is offered at A Level. The students don't usually have a problem starting with course.

Biology and Psychology A Levels are quite different, psychology feels a lot more like a humanity than a science. It's a lot of remembering studies, and behaviours. If you enjoyed Biology at GCSE, then I'd definitely take it to AS. Not only is it really interesting, it is the more respected of the two, and given your Buisness and Art A Levels aren't the most respected( I don't understand why, art shows amazing skill and dedication),it may help

Why not do both, and get rid of business ? Many universities don't take it seriously. Maths, Biology, Psychology and Art would be a great set of A Levels

I agree with this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest