The Student Room Group

Living at home during uni

Has anybody lived at home during uni instead of in halls? How was it?
Would you prefer to have gone to halls?
How is the commute?
How much did you save on money?
How did you make friends?
Anybody please reply what your advice is, I'm mainly looking to save money but dont wanna miss out on making friends
Reply 1
In many countries they dont lihe in the halls. Even more, university dont even have halls. Students live in their own houses and everyday go to university.
It's exactly as getting up in the morning in your own house and going to work. People dont live in the same building in which they work so there's no problem.

I did it that way. Lived at my house and finished university happily. Savedd a lot of money. You make friends in the classsrooms and activities. Of course you would other kind of friends living in the halls, but there are pros and cons.
Original post by zalo_00
In many countries they dont lihe in the halls. Even more, university dont even have halls. Students live in their own houses and everyday go to university.
It's exactly as getting up in the morning in your own house and going to work. People dont live in the same building in which they work so there's no problem.

I did it that way. Lived at my house and finished university happily. Savedd a lot of money. You make friends in the classsrooms and activities. Of course you would other kind of friends living in the halls, but there are pros and cons.

Thanks what made you stay at home and how was your experience with the whole thing x
Reply 3
Original post by Thatawesomegally
Thanks what made you stay at home and how was your experience with the whole thing x

Well I decided to stay because it was more comfortable, cheaper and practical.
I like my privacy and sharing a bedroom with people I dont know is not something I wanted (I have enough with my brothers). With the money I saved I got a car.
Thanks! It sounds great xx
Reply 5
Original post by Thatawesomegally
Has anybody lived at home during uni instead of in halls? How was it?
Would you prefer to have gone to halls?
How is the commute?
How much did you save on money?
How did you make friends?
Anybody please reply what your advice is, I'm mainly looking to save money but dont wanna miss out on making friends

Lived at home for 2 years. Going to my final year whilst living at home... Absolutely sucks mate. Not much student life, and too many ****ing haters around plus annoying family members like cousins pissing me off. Would prefer halls anyday.

Commute is not bad

Saved a lot cos I lived at home

Didn't make many friends

My advice is to live at uni for at least a year. It will really boost your confidence and independance.
Living at home saves you a lot of money, I spend about 4600 total for 10 month rent only, you need to buy your own food. However, you meet a lot of new people, you learn everything necessary in the future like washing clothes, making food, managing money, and individuality in general. The other good aspect is sharing common grounds with people who live 1 minute away.

I am glad I choose to live at uni because in London I do not have many friends and pretty much I spend whole day on PC doing nothing productive. At uni I met a lot of people, basically you can ring a friend and do something almost every day with different people.
Both replies, thanks for giving me an insight. I will definitely steer to living in halls and start saving money from now!😂 your replies were much appreciated xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending