zoemary
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This is my first time taking this subject, how can I prepare for A level? And is this subject difficult?
AmyPilot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zoemary)
This is my first time taking this subject, how can I prepare for A level? And is this subject difficult?
It's been a year since I did A level sociology (AQA). I had never done the subject before going into college. I didn't do anything before I started - just used the teaching given at college to direct my studies. There is a lot of content and essay writing - I actually did all essay based subjects. I was warned at one college open evening (not the college I ended up picking) that sociology and psychology together was a lot of work but I found it ok.

Actually loved sociology and it was my best exam - still miss it though it has proved quite relevant to my degree course (and in fact to a lot of aspects of life in general).

Enjoy
zoemary
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by AmyPilot)
It's been a year since I did A level sociology (AQA). I had never done the subject before going into college. I didn't do anything before I started - just used the teaching given at college to direct my studies. There is a lot of content and essay writing - I actually did all essay based subjects. I was warned at one college open evening (not the college I ended up picking) that sociology and psychology together was a lot of work but I found it ok.

Actually loved sociology and it was my best exam - still miss it though it has proved quite relevant to my degree course (and in fact to a lot of aspects of life in general).

Enjoy
Thank you, for your help. I am also doing psychology a level, do you think it will be too tough to handle both subjects? Or should i drop one?
AmyPilot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you, for your help. I am also doing psychology a level, do you think it will be too tough to handle both subjects? Or should i drop one?
No they go well together.

I did sociology psychology RS and English lit/lang and had no problems - just need to put the effort in throughout the year and not try to cram it in at the end - if you understand it as you go along and take it in its fine. I got decent grades in them all.
sarskinz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did it at GCSE and loved it, I'm sure I'll love it at Alevel too since it's really interesting
AmyPilot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sarskinz)
I did it at GCSE and loved it, I'm sure I'll love it at Alevel too since it's really interesting
I never got the chance to do it at GCSE (only psychology was available at my school) but you're right its very interesting at A level. What else are you planning to study?
gul11and
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
sarskinz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I never got the chance to do it at GCSE (only psychology was available at my school) but you're right its very interesting at A level. What else are you planning to study?
I'm gonna do Philosophy and Government &Politics along with Sociology. I think these three will compliment each other even though they're all essay based subjects.
AmyPilot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm gonna do Philosophy and Government &Politics along with Sociology. I think these three will compliment each other even though they're all essay based subjects.
I did philosophy (well RS - philosophy and ethics) too! Also did psychology and English lit/lang - all essay subjects just like you and it was fine.

Good luck
Daisymaay
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As long as you have a general interest in this subject area, then you should be fine. I didn't do anything before AS level sociology in terms of GCSE etc...
But just get the textbooks, read them...
It is a really good subject and I am really enjoying it ! Hope you do too x
sarskinz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did philosophy (well RS - philosophy and ethics) too! Also did psychology and English lit/lang - all essay subjects just like you and it was fine.

Good luck
Thank you so much! could you tell me the best things of taking these subjects if you wouldn't mind?
hollybradfield
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I took all essay based subjects for my A Levels.
I really liked how sociology tied into history and govpol as it meant I could transfer knowledge from subject to subject.
My only piece of advice is be WARY of any sort of mock grade you are receiving in sociology, as I have found the examiners for me- personally- have been extremely harsh.
I started revising for my exams in December, achieved AAAA mock grades (two As in soc), did 30+ past papers in which I received an A grade in every SINGLE one.
However, my mum then phoned me with my results.
I achieved a C grade in sociology. A B grade in unit 1 (2 off an A) and D in unit 2 (1 mark INTO a D). I got 61%- scrapping the C boundary.
In terms of my overall performance at AS:
I DID NOT GET A SINGLE A GRADE in my exams.

Life's a b**** Meritocracy is a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie
AmyPilot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much! could you tell me the best things of taking these subjects if you wouldn't mind?
I just enjoyed the content (so not a maths person lol) and they complimented each other (especially sociology and psychology). I enjoyed them all so much that I couldn't decide which subject to drop after AS so took all 4 to A level. Sociology was always my slightly better subject ended up with an A* and got AAA in the others. Your teachers are important though. I doubted English in AS year as I was unsure about the teacher but in A2 we had a different one and my interest in the subject increased - the opposite to what happened in psychology where we had to basically self teach A2 due to a lack of good teaching.

Oh yeah I did AQA for sociology and psychology and WJEC for Eng and RS.

I am at uni now (not doing sociology) but still find that what we studied in sociology comes into my course and is very useful.

Oh yeah - don't listen when people say its a soft subject - it's not just the easy option and it was a "preferred subject" at all the unis I applied to.

Really hope you enjoy your time in college/sixth form.

Good luck
maryamzahid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I loved sociology for a level, it was my poison hahaha, I picked law with criminology for my degree but decided I'm going to do sociology instead. My only advice is to learn essay structures and take the subject seriously. Quite a few people in my class didn't and thought it was just a time pass and ended up missing out on a place at their chosen uni. Learn theorists and not just read the subject you are learning about, read around it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (23)
16.08%
No one else does (50)
34.97%
I'm embarrassed about my background (16)
11.19%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (46)
32.17%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.4%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
2.8%

Watched Threads