The Student Room Group

A level Sociology

This is my first time taking this subject, how can I prepare for A level? And is this subject difficult?
Original post by zoemary
This is my first time taking this subject, how can I prepare for A level? And is this subject difficult?

It's been a year since I did A level sociology (AQA). I had never done the subject before going into college. I didn't do anything before I started - just used the teaching given at college to direct my studies. There is a lot of content and essay writing - I actually did all essay based subjects. I was warned at one college open evening (not the college I ended up picking) that sociology and psychology together was a lot of work but I found it ok.

Actually loved sociology and it was my best exam - still miss it though it has proved quite relevant to my degree course (and in fact to a lot of aspects of life in general).

Enjoy :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AmyPilot
It's been a year since I did A level sociology (AQA). I had never done the subject before going into college. I didn't do anything before I started - just used the teaching given at college to direct my studies. There is a lot of content and essay writing - I actually did all essay based subjects. I was warned at one college open evening (not the college I ended up picking) that sociology and psychology together was a lot of work but I found it ok.

Actually loved sociology and it was my best exam - still miss it though it has proved quite relevant to my degree course (and in fact to a lot of aspects of life in general).

Enjoy :smile:

Thank you, for your help. I am also doing psychology a level, do you think it will be too tough to handle both subjects? Or should i drop one?
Original post by zoemary
Thank you, for your help. I am also doing psychology a level, do you think it will be too tough to handle both subjects? Or should i drop one?

No they go well together.

I did sociology psychology RS and English lit/lang and had no problems - just need to put the effort in throughout the year and not try to cram it in at the end - if you understand it as you go along and take it in its fine. I got decent grades in them all.
Reply 4
I did it at GCSE and loved it, I'm sure I'll love it at Alevel too since it's really interesting
Original post by sarskinz
I did it at GCSE and loved it, I'm sure I'll love it at Alevel too since it's really interesting

I never got the chance to do it at GCSE (only psychology was available at my school) but you're right its very interesting at A level. What else are you planning to study?
Reply 6
Reply 7
I never got the chance to do it at GCSE (only psychology was available at my school) but you're right its very interesting at A level. What else are you planning to study?

I'm gonna do Philosophy and Government &Politics along with Sociology. I think these three will compliment each other even though they're all essay based subjects.
I'm gonna do Philosophy and Government &Politics along with Sociology. I think these three will compliment each other even though they're all essay based subjects.

I did philosophy (well RS - philosophy and ethics) too! Also did psychology and English lit/lang - all essay subjects just like you and it was fine.

Good luck
Original post by zoemary

As long as you have a general interest in this subject area, then you should be fine. I didn't do anything before AS level sociology in terms of GCSE etc...
But just get the textbooks, read them...
It is a really good subject and I am really enjoying it ! Hope you do too x
I did philosophy (well RS - philosophy and ethics) too! Also did psychology and English lit/lang - all essay subjects just like you and it was fine.

Good luck

Thank you so much! :smile: could you tell me the best things of taking these subjects if you wouldn't mind?
I took all essay based subjects for my A Levels.
I really liked how sociology tied into history and govpol as it meant I could transfer knowledge from subject to subject.
My only piece of advice is be WARY of any sort of mock grade you are receiving in sociology, as I have found the examiners for me- personally- have been extremely harsh.
I started revising for my exams in December, achieved AAAA mock grades (two As in soc), did 30+ past papers in which I received an A grade in every SINGLE one.
However, my mum then phoned me with my results.
I achieved a C grade in sociology. A B grade in unit 1 (2 off an A) and D in unit 2 (1 mark INTO a D). I got 61%- scrapping the C boundary.
In terms of my overall performance at AS:
I DID NOT GET A SINGLE A GRADE in my exams.

Life's a b**** :tongue:Meritocracy is a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie
Thank you so much! :smile: could you tell me the best things of taking these subjects if you wouldn't mind?

I just enjoyed the content (so not a maths person lol) and they complimented each other (especially sociology and psychology). I enjoyed them all so much that I couldn't decide which subject to drop after AS so took all 4 to A level. Sociology was always my slightly better subject ended up with an A* and got AAA in the others. Your teachers are important though. I doubted English in AS year as I was unsure about the teacher but in A2 we had a different one and my interest in the subject increased - the opposite to what happened in psychology where we had to basically self teach A2 due to a lack of good teaching.

Oh yeah I did AQA for sociology and psychology and WJEC for Eng and RS.

I am at uni now (not doing sociology) but still find that what we studied in sociology comes into my course and is very useful.

Oh yeah - don't listen when people say its a soft subject - it's not just the easy option and it was a "preferred subject" at all the unis I applied to.

Really hope you enjoy your time in college/sixth form.

Good luck :smile:
I loved sociology for a level, it was my poison hahaha, I picked law with criminology for my degree but decided I'm going to do sociology instead. My only advice is to learn essay structures and take the subject seriously. Quite a few people in my class didn't and thought it was just a time pass and ended up missing out on a place at their chosen uni. Learn theorists and not just read the subject you are learning about, read around it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest