The Student Room Group

Can l still be a doctor with non-science a-levels?

Basically l want to do Graduate Entry Medicine in Nottingham OR Leicester.

They said l could have non-sciences unless l receive a BBB or more as it is competitive.

I have been doing a lot of work experience at hospitals as l took a gap year. And this year l am taking A-Levels and l need to make sure l get good grades in the a-levels to do GEM.

I'm doing Phychology, Sociology, ICT (l dont know what fourth non-science to do).

Could you help...give me more tips to make sure in the next 2 years...l get in.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onlychantele
Basically l want to do Graduate Entry Medicine in Nottingham OR Leicester.

They said l could have non-sciences unless l receive a BBB or more as it is competitive.

I have been doing a lot of work experience at hospitals as l took a gap year. And this year l am taking A-Levels and l need to make sure l get good grades in the a-levels to do GEM.

I'm doing Phychology, Sociology, ICT (l dont know what fourth non-science to do).

Could you help...give me more tips to make sure in the next 2 years...l get in.

Do you already have a degree then? if so did you not do A-levels to get to uni?
Original post by madmadmax321
Do you already have a degree then? if so did you not do A-levels to get to uni?

No, l said l took a gap year to do work experience. I haven't done my a-levels yet...
No, l said l took a gap year to do work experience. I haven't done my a-levels yet...

Well surely you mean undergraduate medicine then since you don't have a degree?
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
Well surely you mean undergraduate medicine then since you don't have a degree?

Oh sorry, l said it wrong. Sorry l meant undergraduate medicine.
This September,l'm starting a-levels, l have good gcse grades but l don't want to take Chemistry or Biology for a-levels instead, is it possible to take other -alevels like:

Phychology
Sociology
ICT
(Perhaps Maths )

Is it possible...l also heard they are different routes in becoming a doctor...what are they?
Oh sorry, l said it wrong. Sorry l meant undergraduate medicine.

1. why don't you do required A-levels for standard entry?
2. The medical schools are going to ask, if you knew you wanted to do medicine then why didn't you do the right A-levels for standard entry
3. Even though the entry requirements say BBB the people applying are most likely going to have AAB or AAA at AS
4. Do a fourth AS
Original post by madmadmax321
1. why don't you do required A-levels for standard entry?
2. The medical schools are going to ask, if you knew you wanted to do medicine then why didn't you do the right A-levels for standard entry
3. Even though the entry requirements say BBB the people applying are most likely going to have AAB or AAA at AS
4. Do a fourth AS

1.Because l'm stuck between wanting to do become a Phychologist or a doctor.
2. I'll do my best to get the best a-level grades - trust me.
3. I am thinking of what fourth AS to choose. Our sixthform don't allow us to do 3 AS.
I doubt it and think you have been mislead.

It is compulsory to have biology and chemistry, these are a must.
3. I am thinking of what fourth AS to choose. Our sixthform don't allow us to do 3 AS.

Without chemistry you will be wasting your time with undergraduate medicine.
Original post by 08Mercyf

I don't want to go to a Medical School...l want to study medicine.
What people mean by "other ways" is basically having your A level results and doing an acees cousre.
You definitely need to take a science, those wont cut it unfortunately :frown: found this on a site -
Essential A-levels (or equivalent)

Chemistry, biology and either maths or physics (or both) will keep all the medical schools open to you.

If you don’t take maths or physics but do take chemistry and biology, it will keep open the vast majority.

If you don’t take biology, but do take chemistry and one from maths or physics, fewer medical schools will accept you.

hope it helps and good luck x
This September,l'm starting a-levels, l have good gcse grades but l don't want to take Chemistry or Biology for a-levels instead, is it possible to take other -alevels like:

Phychology
Sociology
ICT
(Perhaps Maths )

Is it possible...l also heard they are different routes in becoming a doctor...what are they?

It is possible to do a foundation degree in medicine yes, but wouldn't it just be much simpler to replace two of your current choices with biology and chemistry?
Original post by 08Mercyf

I'd agree, Biology and Chemistry are a must - quite possible maths, too...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I hope this help :smile:
I don't want to go to a Medical School...l want to study medicine.

You can't study medicine without going to medical school. Medical school is where you do your medical degree which leads to you being a doctor.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Without chemistry you will be wasting your time with undergraduate medicine.

So l can't study Medicine without non-science AS subjects...Oh okay.

There's no preliminary courses too?

Okay but the medical schools are still going to ask why you didn't do the right A-levels as you can become a Psychologist with the A-levels medical schools require (Chemistry, normally biology and then whatever else you want)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
It is possible to do a foundation degree in medicine yes, but wouldn't it just be much simpler to replace two of your current choices with biology and chemistry?

I'll think about. I understand its simpler, yes l've been told.
I'll think about. I understand its simpler, yes l've been told.

It is much simpler and really widens the choice of medical schools you can apply to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending