The Student Room Group

Sixth form subject help!

So, at the moment I am planning to do History, Maths, Economics and Classical civilization for a levels..
I have gotten 4A*s, 4As and 3Bs for my GCSE, an A* for my home language, Maths, core and additional sciences, A in Eng lit, History and triple science as well as a B in Eng lang and other subjects that aren't that useful (i.e. art). (I know that this sounds like an excuse but my school is a very s****y school and these grades put me in the top tenth lol)
I know that they aren't so great but I am wondering if good unis, such as the Russell group would be fine with these if I try hard and aim for good grades for the A levels that I picked.

Another problem is that although I picked these subjects, I have no idea what I want to do during my future. I know I don't want to do anything with medicine as you can see from my subjects but will my choices be limited when applying to unis? I tried to broaden them as much as possible putting in two so-called 'facilitating' subjects and two essay ones (History and Classics) as well as a science subject. I`m thinking that I might do economics, history, politics, classics, law for uni and others too.
My friends recommend English as an A level and although I am fine with daily uses of it, such as history essays, I'm not that confident as it is my second language and I know I will not get good grades for A level when I only got a B for GCSE.

So to summarize my question,
1)Will my GCSE grades be good enough for Russell group unis if I work hard and achieve good grades in uni?
2)Will my a level choices limit my choices in the future and if so, what other subjects do you recommend.

Thanks for reading=)
1) Yes, your GCSE grades are very good :smile:

2) You're not sure exactly what you do want to do, but at least you are able to rule out anything in the field of science. Those A levels are strong and will allow you to branch off in many directions. Maths and economics are very highly regarded. History and classical civilisation complement them well. There are many paths for anybody who achieves good A Level results :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest