Will i be able to qualify as a Solicitor if i do an apprenticeship or a Cilex course? Watch

KirstieBurke
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have just got my As Level results, i passed two but failed one and i have been suggested to look at Legal apprenticeships or starting a Level 3 cilex course in Law. I was just wondering could i still qualify as a solicitor without going to University or would the best option be to continue the last year in college with the two passed subjects but then start another 2 as levels then at the end of the next year add all the points up and go to University to study Law or is the Cilex course/apprenticeship a quicker easier option?
kgsmartypants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Kirstie,

You can qualify as a solicitor via the CILEx route. I am probably going to be doing CILEx training myself soon as I have recently been offered a job at a solicitors.

You qualify as a chartered legal executive first after completing the Level 6 Diploma in Law and Practice (after 4 years) then you can extra units plus the Legal Practice Course to become a solicitor.

All the information is on the CILEx website if you want to have a look or you can order a prospectus which might be easier.

You can start CILEx with just GCSEs so, depending on what you want to do yourself, it would be possibly quicker to go into the CILEx route, but of course it depends on whether you want to get a law degree. Although, from what I understand, the CILEx route is just as recognised a qualification now. I was going to do a law degree with the open uni whilst working, but during my interview I was told CILEx might actually be the best route to take.

Although, CILEx is not easier than a degree. The level 6 part is equivalent to a degree so I wouldn't count on it being any easier .

I hope this helps.
Shahni
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The CILEx route is an excellent and underrated option, in my opinion. I switched to CILEx after my degree and became a Legal Executive, then cross-qualified as a solicitor. Would have saved a lot of money if i had started out on the CILEx route. No regrets, but it wasn't something I was aware of at the time. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.
Naimahkhan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Shahni)
The CILEx route is an excellent and underrated option, in my opinion. I switched to CILEx after my degree and became a Legal Executive, then cross-qualified as a solicitor. Would have saved a lot of money if i had started out on the CILEx route. No regrets, but it wasn't something I was aware of at the time. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.
Hey did you still have to go through the 6 year route to be a solicitor even though you graduated from uni?
Shahni
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did the LPC (one year full time), which enabled me to become a graduate member of CILEx. Then did my qualifying employment and portfolio to qualify as a fellow of CILEx (takes 2-3 years minimum, it took me longer because I wasn't focused). Then when I became a fellow I did the professional skills course core modules (2 weeks) and cross qualified as a solicitor.
alicesjx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
Please do not think that a legal apprenticeship is an easier route - it is not! You need to be able to work 4.5 days per week and study for an exam plus be doing work to show that you're competent, plus assignments in client care / legal research. It is incredibly rewarding but it is definitely not an easier route.
Unfortunately there is still a stigma that apprenticeships are easier, which is not the case.
I hope you find a solution!
s0phiec
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi - @fcmcmurray and I are solicitor apprentices at Withers and have made an official thread if any of you have questions we could answer :-)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post81495336
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (176)
32.18%
The paper was reasonable (270)
49.36%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
10.97%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
7.5%

Watched Threads