Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay So I've applied to a university in North Cyprus, its a 6 year M.D. program. The University's name is "Near East University". It seems to have a good reputation in medical field or so I've been told.
    So what I'm worried is that maybe it wont be worth studying there? Because North Cyprus isn't accepted by the whole world but only Turkey?

So do you guys have any ideas on this issue? Like after I graduate in 6 years from now can I specialize in a foreign country after passing the necessary exam/tests? Or work?
    Or would I be at risk?

Any input would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iram98)
    Okay So I've applied to a university in North Cyprus, its a 6 year M.D. program. The University's name is "Near East University". It seems to have a good reputation in medical field or so I've been told.
    So what I'm worried is that maybe it wont be worth studying there? Because North Cyprus isn't accepted by the whole world but only Turkey?

So do you guys have any ideas on this issue? Like after I graduate in 6 years from now can I specialize in a foreign country after passing the necessary exam/tests? Or work?
    Or would I be at risk?

Any input would be appreciated.
    http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/regist...lification.asp

It is on none of the lists.

Where a qualification is not listed in the directories it will be otherwise acceptable to the GMC only where the reason that it is not listed is because:

i. the country, under whose auspices the qualification is issued, is not recognised by the United Nations

OR

ii. the qualification is a primary European qualification

AND, in either case

iii. the qualification was awarded by an institution that either no longer exists or no longer delivers medical education and the GMC can be satisfied as to the veracity of the individual's qualification

AND, in each of the above circumstances the qualification satisfies all of the other criteria for an acceptable overseas qualification.
    If I understand your OP correctly, 'North Cyprus' is an independent country that is only recognised by Turkey? Or it can be seen as a 'primary European qualification' if we take it as being from the Republic of Cyprus. In either case, according to the above quote, the qualification would not be 'otherwise acceptable', because the school still exists and delivers medical education and thus has no excuse for not being in the directories.

Basically it seems you wouldn't be allowed to work in the UK with that qualification and I expect the same goes for many other countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)

If I understand your OP correctly, 'North Cyprus' is an independent country that is only recognised by Turkey? Or it can be seen as a 'primary European qualification' if we take it as being from the Republic of Cyprus. In either case, according to the above quote, the qualification would not be 'otherwise acceptable', because the school still exists and delivers medical education and thus has no excuse for not being in the directories.

Basically it seems you wouldn't be allowed to work in the UK with that qualification and I expect the same goes for many other countries.
    Thanks, that was insightful. So this means that my degree will be only accepted in Turkey then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iram98)
    Thanks, that was insightful. So this means that my degree will be only accepted in Turkey then.
    No, all I can see evidence of is that it isn't accepted by the (British) GMC. You'd have to investigate all the equivalent medical bodies for each country to know where they stand.

ReputationRep:
    No, all I can see evidence of is that it isn't accepted by the (British) GMC. You'd have to investigate all the equivalent medical bodies for each country to know where they stand.
    Well I'm assuming so....
    I checked from the university that Pakistan and India don't accept the degree either.

ReputationRep:

You are wrong. "Near East University Faculty of Medicine" is listed in the "World Directory of Medical Schools" among the "TURKISH" schools of medicine. Thus, its graduates hold an "acceptable overseas medical qualification" that meets all the criteria approved by the General Medical Council of the UK. They are eligible to sit the PLAB test & to continue their medical career or education in the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Muhannad)
    You are wrong. "Near East University Faculty of Medicine" is listed in the "World Directory of Medical Schools" among the "TURKISH" schools of medicine. Thus, its graduates hold an "acceptable overseas medical qualification" that meets all the criteria approved by the General Medical Council of the UK. They are eligible to sit the PLAB test & to continue their medical career or education in the United Kingdom.
    Hmm, it would seem so. I didn't look under 'Turkey' since the Wikipedia article on Northern Cyprus says that it is considered by the international community to be part of the Republic of Cyprus, so I didn't expect an international directory to list it as being in Turkey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Muhannad)
    It is so listed. It is a clear attempt to mislead potential applicants into thinking it is in Turkey when it is really in Cyprus. North Cyprus claims to be an independent country but is recognised only by Turkey, and this private institution masquerades as a Turkish one to get around the problems that causes.

The OP should be very cautious before taking the plunge.

North Cyprus is normally used only by people on the run from justice in the EU.

Presumably you, a new member here, are Turkish or a North Cypriot, and affiliated to this institution.

ReputationRep:
    North Cyprus is occupied territory. The land belongs to Cyprus but is occupied by Turkish soldiers. This fact is recognised by the United Nations and every country in the world except for Turkey. Because North Cyprus is occupied by Turkey, its citizens (and qualifications) are not recognised as belonging to the European Union. It is 100% dodgy.

I would be very concerned about investing your time and money in such an institution. Anything could happen to that territory over the next few years and it's anyone's guess how your degree would be perceived by future employers. There is certainly not much prospect of it being treated as equivalent to qualifications obtained within an EU Member State.

Not a safe bet at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2015

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.