Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, after passing 6 GCSEs including maths, english and 2 sciences (core and additional) at grade C I am happy to announce that i would like to become a midwife.
    ( just to say my gcse mocks were much better all A/B - only got Cs due to 3 months of very poor health which can be proven if need be)
    My local college offers this BTECH course
    Health and Social Care Level 3 90 Credit Diploma/Extended Diploma

This course is equivalent to 3 A levels not 2, BUT 3
    You can either go down path 1- which focuses on nursing and midwifery or path 2 which is is social education but obviously I am going to want to go with PATH 1.
    YES I KNOW MY GCSES WEREN'T THAT GREAT- but as i said this WAS due to poor health and I know I am more than capable of doing well in this course since i have very good English and maths skills despite the grades.

NOW my question is, if i want to go into a midwifery course at university (a reasonably good one)
    Is this the best option I can do?
    I know I am capable of achieving distinctions or above throughout and THIS IS WHAT I REALLY REALLY WANT TO DO FOR MY OCCUPATION!

So say if I did this course and got DDD or higher, would universities accept me for midwifery?
    Also if anybody else has done this course, some tips and advice would be much appreciated- thank you.
    Also if someone else could explain in a bit more detail what it involves, that would be helpful.
    ( Also, I have considered A levels but thought this would be better because it involves far more work experience than A levels could ever give me) Am i correct?
    Thank you everybody for your time x

ReputationRep:
    The best advice I could really give you is to check the uni websites to see which grades they accept.

It's worth bearing in mind that some of the Russell group unis aren't too keen on btecs.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Applescruff)
    The best advice I could really give you is to check the uni websites to see which grades they accept.

It's worth bearing in mind that some of the Russell group unis aren't too keen on btecs.
    Definetly agree to check out requirements on ucas but as for Russell groups only three do midwifery all of which at least consider some BTECs for entry and all midwifery nmc regulated so it doesn't make a difference where in the league table a uni is generally.

(Original post by jimjam247)
    Hi Guys, after passing 6 GCSEs including maths, english and 2 sciences (core and additional) at grade C I am happy to announce that i would like to become a midwife.
    ( just to say my gcse mocks were much better all A/B - only got Cs due to 3 months of very poor health which can be proven if need be)
    My local college offers this BTECH course
    Health and Social Care Level 3 90 Credit Diploma/Extended Diploma

This course is equivalent to 3 A levels not 2, BUT 3
    You can either go down path 1- which focuses on nursing and midwifery or path 2 which is is social education but obviously I am going to want to go with PATH 1.
    YES I KNOW MY GCSES WEREN'T THAT GREAT- but as i said this WAS due to poor health and I know I am more than capable of doing well in this course since i have very good English and maths skills despite the grades.

NOW my question is, if i want to go into a midwifery course at university (a reasonably good one)
    Is this the best option I can do?
    I know I am capable of achieving distinctions or above throughout and THIS IS WHAT I REALLY REALLY WANT TO DO FOR MY OCCUPATION!

So say if I did this course and got DDD or higher, would universities accept me for midwifery?
    Also if anybody else has done this course, some tips and advice would be much appreciated- thank you.
    Also if someone else could explain in a bit more detail what it involves, that would be helpful.
    ( Also, I have considered A levels but thought this would be better because it involves far more work experience than A levels could ever give me) Am i correct?
    Thank you everybody for your time x
    You can certainly get into midwifery with DDD and above, look at getting as much experience as you can in healthcare before applying. I think you re correct in your decision as experience is very important for healthcare degrees.
    Afraid I m doing nursing not midwifery but if you look at nhs careers website it should give you plenty of info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Definetly agree to check out requirements on ucas but as for Russell groups only three do midwifery all of which at least consider some BTECs for entry and all midwifery nmc regulated so it doesn't make a difference where in the league table a uni is generally.

You can certainly get into midwifery with DDD and above, look at getting as much experience as you can in healthcare before applying. I think you re correct in your decision as experience is very important for healthcare degrees.
    Afraid I m doing nursing not midwifery but if you look at nhs careers website it should give you plenty of info
    Thank You so much!! This was very helpful!
    Much appreciated and I hope you have good time doing nursing!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by jimjam247)
    Thank You so much!! This was very helpful!
    Much appreciated and I hope you have good time doing nursing!
    Glad to help

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.