Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just had my grades and feeling a bit gutted, so would appreciate some advice.

I got an unexpected C grade in Unit 5 (composition). I got an overall A grade in AS but overall B in A2. Having seen the marks and comments of the examiner (which I find to be quite subjective), I'm really confused about his view of my composition, which was passed as good by my teacher before submission. The composition was fully scored with 17 instruments and the brief was music for the opening of a theme park. It was worked on for months in detail with my teacher. I'm also a composition student at a Junior Department of a Music College, and they consider me to have talent - so I'm really confused about this result.

The examiner called the composition "competent" or 21-25 out of 40.

"Generally secure and conscientious in technique and interpretation.
    Some errors and/or misjudgements, but the piece still has some direction and flow."

He didn't state what the errors were and as far as I can see there were none. Whenever he criticised the composition he called it 'lacking a real sense of...' in each section. In fact, he didn't mark the harmony category section at all, which I know is optional, but there is a lot of harmony work in the piece.
    Melody was marked as 'adequate' with 'significant errors' in the part writing. He may not have like it but there were no errors as far as I can see.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of subjective marking before, and is it wise to have it remarked, bearing in mind that marks can go down? I am concerned that if my marks go down my overall A2 grade will be a C, even though I got an A in performance.

Any advice appreciated!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x

ReputationRep:
    HI
    My daughter is in similar position to you. Highest mark ever received by college for AS composition. A2 composition initially graded as C, sent for remark and has been downgraded to D, losing a further 8 marks! We are still investigating what avenues we can go down now, but be very wary of remark. She is a fan of Stravinsky and her composition reflects this, which I accept may not be to everyone's musical taste, but none the less and exam should not be so subjectively marked, especially when university places are at stake. It has cost her place this year as she needed 3 As.

Would love to hear from anyone else in similar boat, as planning on raising a complaint even if an official appeal is not possible.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.