The Student Room Group

SORN & buying new car

Hi guys, I'm planning on replacing my 2004 Fiesta with a 2008 Fiat Grande Punto. I would be taking the new car home this Monday the 24th. My insurance is ready to be transferred to the new car, and I know I will need to tax it and SORN my old car.

Once I know for certain whether I'll be getting the new car, when should I sort out the tax - on Monday, or can it be done in advance?
I'm guessing the old car will need to be SORNed as soon as the insurance is transferred over?

Is there anything else I need to do before I pick up the new car?

Any advice/general tips would be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
If you can, leave your old car taxed and insured until the end of the month and tax the new car from 1st September, otherwise you're paying a full months tax on the Fiat for only the last 7 days of August.
Reply 2
Remember, even if the car is SORN, if it is parked on a public highway it still has to be insured.
Original post by Minardi
Remember, even if the car is SORN, if it is parked on a public highway it still has to be insured.

Good point, plus it only takes a bored late night traffic cop to get an ANPR hit and you're in trouble.
Reply 4
Original post by Minardi

SORN = Statutory Off Road Notification. If it's on the highway it has to be taxed (and insured).

Quick Reply

Latest