Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I started planning out my personal statement, and thinking what I should include in it, but I'm finding it so hard!! I think the problem is i have too much advice? Like I've got so much advice from different places I now don't know where to begin? I've spoken to a friend who is studying psychology at uni, and she gave me her basic structure. I've then got advice from my elder siblings/student room/generel websites and then my school as produced a UCAS booklet with even more personl statement advice so I literally don't know where to look! I shouldn't really be posting on here because I think I should just get on and write it, but I seriously need help!!

Is there anyone who is doing/done psychology recently who can help me with the basic structure, what I should include/what I shouldnt include, any specific things I should mention etc? And what their advice is for planning it/writing it etc

Any help will be really appreciated! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    so youre coming for more advice again lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenfoot)
    so youre coming for more advice again lol
    Lool, yep, this is what procrastination/not knowing how to start it is doing to me!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniemp)
    Lool, yep, this is what procrastination/not knowing how to start it is doing to me!!!!
    i started weeks ago D:
    doing a paychology one also

if you go to the PS forum and 'look up how to write a psychology ps' there's a template and it's awesome.

yeah, ive kind of finished my ps. my issue now is that ive got so much time to mull over it, i keep wanting to change it, even though i think it's pretty alright.

TIP: write ANY old bullshìt, just get in your stride and then you can go back to any parts you dont like.

ReputationRep:
    i started weeks ago D:
    doing a paychology one also

if you go to the PS forum and 'look up how to write a psychology ps' there's a template and it's awesome.

yeah, ive kind of finished my ps. my issue now is that ive got so much time to mull over it, i keep wanting to change it, even though i think it's pretty alright.

TIP: write ANY old bullshìt, just get in your stride and then you can go back to any parts you dont like.
    do you mean this one?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...onal_Statement

ReputationRep:
    yeah! i saved it as a word document and had it side by side with a blank document.

ReputationRep:
    yeah! i saved it as a word document and had it side by side with a blank document.
    Thank you!!! Think I'll just use this then instead of a million different plans!! Well done for getting yours done!!

ReputationRep:
    Mad Vlad

ReputationRep:
    I got into Warwick to study psychology so I guess my personal statement was successful haha. One tip is to read some psychological books and mention them in your statement to show that you've been doing some independent reading and are really interested in the subject. For example, I read 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat' by Oliver Sachs which is a collection of real life psychological stories and I wrote a paragraph on how that increased my interest in psychology. You could also mention what attracts you to the subject and how it will help you in the future good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniemp)
    Thank you!!! Think I'll just use this then instead of a million different plans!! Well done for getting yours done!!
    yeah, it has a really good structure then i looked through other psychology personal statements in the wiki just to give me ideas about wording and whatnot, but they didnt really help at all. actually they helped with what not to do.

ReputationRep:
    Mad Vlad
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    yeah, it has a really good structure then i looked through other psychology personal statements in the wiki just to give me ideas about wording and whatnot, but they didnt really help at all. actually they helped with what not to do.
    Yeah unfortunately they aren't the best examples, but because they are uploaded by users we can't control the quality of them However, a number of them are reviewed, so it shows you what not to do, which can be helpful as well!

There is also the PS building tool, which you can use alongside the psychology article already mentioned

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.