The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MChab
Hey :smile: My department is Medieval and Modern Languages (French). I received the unconditional offer on Feb 4th and they told me that I was nominated for the Gates scholarship. Now waiting to find out about interview... What about you?

I applied to the Department of Architecture (MPhil in Architecture and Urban Studies) and received my conditional offer on Feb 11th - but they didn't inform whether I was nominated for Gates or not.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2121
Original post by Aceadria
Thanks! Do we have to tell them in advance that we're interested in doing the course?

The registration starts in October and you require a raven account (you can only get that after your offer has been confirmed). Either use the instructions here http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adtis/in-sessional.html (for the actual documents you'll need raven access) or just drop by during your first week.

Original post by mmaf
Hi again :smile: Can you please tell me what was the assessment like. I'm planning to do it next week and a bit worried that I would not meet the condition. Also, in their website they encourage people not to prepare for it, so I was wondering what is the nature of the assessment.

I think they're right, there isn't much you could prepare. The listening part of my assessment was a part of a lecture about the history of Cambridge (actually quite interesting), the reading bit was another part of this lecture and the writing part asked about my reasons for applying to Cambridge or something along that line. The speaking part was a skype interview a week later. It was again only about individual reasons for applying, what I liked about the course, where I think I would benefit the most from support of the language centre... Regarding the speaking/writing bit, I don't think you have to worry if your confident to talk/write about your research/course.
Original post by tj23
The registration starts in October and you require a raven account (you can only get that after your offer has been confirmed). Either use the instructions here http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adtis/in-sessional.html (for the actual documents you'll need raven access) or just drop by during your first week.

Thank you!
Reply 2123
Does anyone know how long it would take from "awaiting decision by BoGs(with the degree committee satisfied with my application)" to receiving the official offer? I have gone through the admission website, and it states that it should take up to 7 days on my current stage, but I have been on this stage for almost a week. I am so nervous right now !!
Original post by sazs
Does anyone know how long it would take from "awaiting decision by BoGs(with the degree committee satisfied with my application)" to receiving the official offer? I have gone through the admission website, and it states that it should take up to 7 days on my current stage, but I have been on this stage for almost a week. I am so nervous right now !!

You should receive it anytime soon. Mine took about 4 working days as I remember, 6 days including the weekend. If you go past the 7 days mark, e-mailing the Board of Graduate Studies might help. However, I think it takes a while since most of the offers are being made in February/March.
You'll be good, no worries ^^
Original post by ohwello
Ah, and there I was buying a whole bag of comfort food thinking that I didn't get an invitation. There's still hope, eh? I even went as far as e-mailing the department secretary and asking if I was nominated for a scholarship (Gates/Trust) at all.

May I ask which department did you apply to?

I am wondering the same thing. I just emailed to ask. I applied for a Biological Science PhD, got the conditional offer, but haven't heard from Gates. Presuming the worst.....goodbye Cambridge :frown:
Reply 2126
are all Gates notifications out?
Reply 2127
Original post by gtx85
are all Gates notifications out?

I don't think every invites have been sent out yet (look at their Twitter account). But I think that it will be done by tomorrow or so. On Saturday morning, after a first group of interview invites were sent on Friday apparently, they said that the rest would be sent 'imminently'... I don't know what that means exactly. I don't have any twitter account to ask them again now whether there is still hope but I wish someone could do it^^
Reply 2128
Original post by ejminihane
I am wondering the same thing. I just emailed to ask. I applied for a Biological Science PhD, got the conditional offer, but haven't heard from Gates. Presuming the worst.....goodbye Cambridge :frown:

Sorry to hear that. Same for me :s-smilie: I heard that biological sciences committee already sent its invites to shortlisted candidates.. I'm still waiting to hear about the Arts committee - I applied for a DPhil in MML. If I don't hear about them by tomorrow, I will consider that I have not been shortlisted. Sad, sad.

Would you mind circulating what they reply to your email - if that is okay with you?
Original post by MChab
Sorry to hear that. Same for me :s-smilie: I heard that biological sciences committee already sent its invites to shortlisted candidates.. I'm still waiting to hear about the Arts committee - I applied for a DPhil in MML. If I don't hear about them by tomorrow, I will consider that I have not been shortlisted. Sad, sad.

Would you mind circulating what they reply to your email - if that is okay with you?

I just rang them to ask and the lovely lady on the end of the phone confirmed my worst nightmares. Oh well. Onwards and upwards! Still got time to find some funding elsewhere.

She did say that they are "organising interviews now" so it might be worth ringing too to ask? I am unsure if all candidates have been notified but it sounded that way...
Reply 2130
Hey guys, what are the most common conditions asked for the conditional offers?
Reply 2131
Original post by ejminihane
I just rang them to ask and the lovely lady on the end of the phone confirmed my worst nightmares. Oh well. Onwards and upwards! Still got time to find some funding elsewhere.

She did say that they are "organising interviews now" so it might be worth ringing too to ask? I am unsure if all candidates have been notified but it sounded that way...

I just rang too^^ The lady told me that my application had not been reviewed yet and that they will send me an email as soon as the interview list is complete - which then is not the case yet - to tell me whether or not they would like me to come to an interview. But somehow I felt that this was unlikely to happen. Anyway..
Original post by MChab
I just rang too^^ The lady told me that my application had not been reviewed yet and that they will send me an email as soon as the interview list is complete - which then is not the case yet - to tell me whether or not they would like me to come to an interview. But somehow I felt that this was unlikely to happen. Anyway..

Fingers crossed for you. Don't give up hope yet!!
Original post by MChab

Now I'm totally confused about the whole process but I'm pretty sure I didn't make the interview list. :smile: Who did you call?
Reply 2134
Original post by ohwello
Now I'm totally confused about the whole process but I'm pretty sure I didn't make the interview list. :smile: Who did you call?

I called the number on the 'contact' page of the Gates website.
Original post by MChab
I called the number on the 'contact' page of the Gates website.

Oooh, I see. I thought you called your department - that's what got me confused :smile:
Reply 2136
I was accepted at Robinson (pooled) today. Anybody as well? Unfortunately, they seem to have almost no funding for fresh Ph.D. students. This whole funding issue is nerve-wrecking. I wrote today to the department and they said I was nominated (as, I suppose, everyone) for the CHESS award. But I worry that my application is weak...
Reply 2137
Thanks. Yea I'm in the biological sciences group, no idea about the other panels.
Original post by MChab
Hi congrats and good luck on the interview!! My department suggested that not all 4 reviewing committees sent interview invitations yet. Biological sciences did. Is your PhD in a discipline related to Biological sciences? Or do you know anyone in 'physical sciences', 'social sciences' or 'art', the other 4 committes, who has been contacted for interview?
Original post by rajput05
4 months ? :redface:I applied for the same course around a month ago. Its still under consideration by Degree committee. Guess I would have to wait a little longer than I expected :tongue:
Mind sharing your profile ?

I would not say my profile is as strong as other candidates. The profiles i read on TSR are extremely competitive.
I am from top 5 business school, doing banking and finance course. 1st year 75, 2nd year 72. My grades are dragged down by accounting modules. I scored 80 in two economics modules during the 2nd year and i was top 5 within my reference group.
How about u ? honestly speaking, I am not confident about getting onto the course. I have also received an offer from warwick for the same course, but cam is slightly better than warwick in my opinion
Reply 2139
Original post by ohwello
You should receive it anytime soon. Mine took about 4 working days as I remember, 6 days including the weekend. If you go past the 7 days mark, e-mailing the Board of Graduate Studies might help. However, I think it takes a while since most of the offers are being made in February/March.
You'll be good, no worries ^^

Thank you so much. I am trying my best at moment not to get my expectations up since I haven't received the official offer yet. But do you really think that at this stage implies a "yes" ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending