The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2500
Has anyone heard about international/MPhil funding?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Ok guys, I got all my documents and my application in a couple of days before Christmas last year. Ever since then I've been "Awaiting consideration by Department". So that brings us to just a little over 3 months now - still in that status. I've applied for Mphil Development Studies and I've seen and heard of people here and in other places getting both acceptances and rejections for the same course. The deadline for applications is the 31st of March - which is in a few days. Thoughts on emailing the department if they don't get back to me within the first couple of weeks in April? I don't want to be rude or anything and I understand it's a super busy period for them but it's weighing on my mind having my future so hung up in the air, I kind of just want to know - and I certaintly don't want to be waiting until July if all these rumours are true!

Advice? Would be appreciated from you all :smile:
Original post by Lisalikesfood
Ok guys, I got all my documents and my application in a couple of days before Christmas last year. Ever since then I've been "Awaiting consideration by Department". So that brings us to just a little over 3 months now - still in that status. I've applied for Mphil Development Studies and I've seen and heard of people here and in other places getting both acceptances and rejections for the same course. The deadline for applications is the 31st of March - which is in a few days. Thoughts on emailing the department if they don't get back to me within the first couple of weeks in April? I don't want to be rude or anything and I understand it's a super busy period for them but it's weighing on my mind having my future so hung up in the air, I kind of just want to know - and I certaintly don't want to be waiting until July if all these rumours are true!

Advice? Would be appreciated from you all :smile:

Hi! My experience with the department is that they are super helpful and friendly about everything, shoot an email to [email protected].

I got my offer of admission for Dev Studies on February 3rd, and as far as I can see from the various posts here, they seem to be sending out offers in 2 or 3 different batches. You might have ended up in the second batch, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were to hear back in the next week or two. A few of my friends who are current students did hear back from the same course, in June last year, but they had literally applied a few days before the end of March deadline, so I can't imagine you would hear back THAT late, as you don't fall within that category.

Good luck! :biggrin: fingers crossed
(edited 8 years ago)
Out of interest, if I don't get into one of my two preferred colleges, is there an equal chance that I'll get into any of the remaining colleges, or is there certain colleges that are more commonly where people who don't get one of their preferences typically end up, i.e. one of the newer colleges like Churchill?
Original post by Farchitect
Out of interest, if I don't get into one of my two preferred colleges, is there an equal chance that I'll get into any of the remaining colleges, or is there certain colleges that are more commonly where people who don't get one of their preferences typically end up, i.e. one of the newer colleges like Churchill?

Their algorithm for allocating colleges isn't based on what's popularly perceived as the "less popular" or newer colleges - there are certain attributes (which they seem incredibly vague about), which colleges look for, and I suppose they identify a sequence of an additional 3 colleges who each get the chance to review your candidacy. If the first one picks you, you're sorted, if not, it'll go to the next one, and so on. The algorithm matches you with colleges where you are most likely to fit in - now what they based that on, I don't know. xD

I put down King's as my 1st and St. John's as my 2nd, but ended up getting Pembroke, which is by no means "newer" or less popular.

Fingers crossed you'll get in somewhere you'll be pleased to go :smile:
Original post by matt.3pehr
Their algorithm for allocating colleges isn't based on what's popularly perceived as the "less popular" or newer colleges - there are certain attributes (which they seem incredibly vague about), which colleges look for, and I suppose they identify a sequence of an additional 3 colleges who each get the chance to review your candidacy. If the first one picks you, you're sorted, if not, it'll go to the next one, and so on. The algorithm matches you with colleges where you are most likely to fit in - now what they based that on, I don't know. xD

I put down King's as my 1st and St. John's as my 2nd, but ended up getting Pembroke, which is by no means "newer" or less popular.

Fingers crossed you'll get in somewhere you'll be pleased to go :smile:

Thanks, that's reassuring; I've applied to two pretty popular/well known old colleges, but I'm mostly concerned with attending one of the old centrally located colleges, more than any specific college to be perfectly honest.
I've been accepted to an MPhil in Chemistry at Pembroke (open applicant) as a USA student. After wading through some of the previous pages, I still can't tell what this consensus is (if there is one), regarding if the degree cost is worth it. $35,000 US dollars (~20K pounds) is a lot of money, especially, since for this degree I would simply be doing research in a lab, so I'm not sure what that money is even paying for... Also, it looks like there are about 6,500 offers, of which 3,500 confirmed, but there are only 500 Cambridge Trust awards (120 already have been dispatched). How are all these other students paying for their degree? I've heard that the conditional offer without funding is the more polite way of rejecting people--is there any truth to that? I'm really not sure what to make of my acceptance at this point.
Original post by sat0ri
I've been accepted to an MPhil in Chemistry at Pembroke (open applicant) as a USA student. After wading through some of the previous pages, I still can't tell what this consensus is (if there is one), regarding if the degree cost is worth it. $35,000 US dollars (~20K pounds) is a lot of money, especially, since for this degree I would simply be doing research in a lab, so I'm not sure what that money is even paying for... Also, it looks like there are about 6,500 offers, of which 3,500 confirmed, but there are only 500 Cambridge Trust awards (120 already have been dispatched). How are all these other students paying for their degree? I've heard that the conditional offer without funding is the more polite way of rejecting people--is there any truth to that? I'm really not sure what to make of my acceptance at this point.

The graduate board of admissions and the Cambridge trust, gates trust, etc. are not related, and so it's not a "polite way of rejecting you". Typically your academic department will nominate candidates for a variety of different scholarships, and it is then up to the separate scholarship trusts to make an assessment. If you want to find a peace of mind, it might be worth calling up your department and finding out if you've been nominating for any of the scholarships, and then calling up the relevant scholarship trusts to find if about the status of your application. :smile: (remember, funding decisions are given out by e.g. Cambridge trust from mid-March to June)

As to whether it's worth it, I suppose that's an individual matter. That's always the thing with elite institutions - figuring out how much of it you're paying for the name and how much you're getting out of the degree in real terms (and whether the former makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of your particular career prospects).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by fatpanda
Does anyone know if the part III maths will be covered by the new postgraduate loans?

Cannot find anything online about it.

I too have just been offered a place!

Yes, the postgraduate loans were for taught courses (i.e part iii) but I think it may have been changed to all courses (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Congrats on the offer! By the way there's also a "mast part iii" thread if you are interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The graduate board of admissions and the Cambridge trust, gates trust, etc. are not related, and so it's not a "polite way of rejecting you". Typically your academic department will nominate candidates for a variety of different scholarships, and it is then up to the separate scholarship trusts to make an assessment. If you want to find a peace of mind, it might be worth calling up your department and finding out if you've been nominating for any of the scholarships, and then calling up the relevant scholarship trusts to find if about the status of your application. :smile: (remember, funding decisions are given out by e.g. Cambridge trust from mid-March to June)

As to whether it's worth it, I suppose that's an individual matter. That's always the thing with elite institutions - figuring out how much of it you're paying for the name and how much you're getting out of the degree in real terms (and whether the former makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of your particular career prospects).

Thank you for your response. I wonder, how many people take up study without funding? Would I be crazy to take out 35K in loans?

Also, if I'm understanding correctly, it is possible to receive departmental funding that is entirely separate from the Cambridge Trust? For some reason, I thought the only funding schemes available were through the Trust, which had many funding sources (department and colleges) but was centralized for efficiency. If that is not the case, I guess that would explain why there are 3,500 grad student but only 500 awards.

Also, I applied to a few external funding schemes (Gates - rejected outright; Fulbright - final rounds "alternate", boohoo) and in an email to the Cambridge Trust regarding these schemes, they offhandedly offered the following information: "The majority of awards administered by the Trust are usually offered by June". So just for everyone's information on the board, it could be another 2 months of purgatory before our fates are decided. (However, it is possible that they told me this knowing I was a non-EU MPhil candidate.)
Original post by sat0ri
Thank you for your response. I wonder, how many people take up study without funding? Would I be crazy to take out 35K in loans?

Also, if I'm understanding correctly, it is possible to receive departmental funding that is entirely separate from the Cambridge Trust? For some reason, I thought the only funding schemes available were through the Trust, which had many funding sources (department and colleges) but was centralized for efficiency. If that is not the case, I guess that would explain why there are 3,500 grad student but only 500 awards.

Also, I applied to a few external funding schemes (Gates - rejected outright; Fulbright - final rounds "alternate", boohoo) and in an email to the Cambridge Trust regarding these schemes, they offhandedly offered the following information: "The majority of awards administered by the Trust are usually offered by June". So just for everyone's information on the board, it could be another 2 months of purgatory before our fates are decided. (However, it is possible that they told me this knowing I was a non-EU MPhil candidate.)

The Trust (and its various arms - European, Overseas, Commonwealth etc.) is just one source of funding. There are also the various Research Councils for UK & EU students, plus there are also a host of other awards that are administered by various offices, faculties etc. which aren't related to the Trust. College awards are also separate from the Trust - colleges themselves decide who to award their scholarships to, without reference to the Trust (at least officially). In practice it means that quite a lot more students are fully or partially funded than the 500 awards the Trust gives out. I think I remember seeing somewhere that 1/3 of (enrolled) Master's students receive funding, and 2/3 of PhD students.

Just to give you an idea of the complexity of it, for my PhD I am funded by a Research Council fees scholarship, a Cambridge European Trust Award, a further University award for people from my country, plus a partial college scholarship. I found out about each of these awards at different stages, since they are all administered separately. Now, this complicated arrangement is because I'm an EU student, and thus the Research Council only pays my fees, but it shows just how many little pots of money there are around the place, but also how ridiculously byzantine the system can be.
Hi! My experience with the department is that they are super helpful and friendly about everything, shoot an email to [email protected].

I got my offer of admission for Dev Studies on February 3rd, and as far as I can see from the various posts here, they seem to be sending out offers in 2 or 3 different batches. You might have ended up in the second batch, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were to hear back in the next week or two. A few of my friends who are current students did hear back from the same course, in June last year, but they had literally applied a few days before the end of March deadline, so I can't imagine you would hear back THAT late, as you don't fall within that category.

Good luck! :biggrin: fingers crossed

Thank you so much for your reply! Appreciate the help - I guess it just concerned me because it seems stuck at the "awaiting consideration" but I know some departments jump from one stage to the final stages. Thanks for reassuring me - if I don't hear back by mid April I'll feel more comfortable emailing the department. :smile:
How long can I expect to be "Under consideration by college" before hearing back? - Is it actually 8-10 weeks?
I contacted the Trust about the status of my applications (both MPhil, two distinct departments). They told me that they are now reviewing both of them and that I can expect to hear about the outcome by June.
Does that mean that both departments shortlisted me, or does the Trust also consider applicants who weren't put forward by their department??
Original post by iCreptio
How long can I expect to be "Under consideration by college" before hearing back? - Is it actually 8-10 weeks?

I depends on which colleges you chose as your preferences I believe. My 1st college choice wasn't a super popular one, and got back to me within <1 week, but I'd assume the bigger colleges take longer due to the larger number of applicants
Original post by Lisalikesfood
Thank you so much for your reply! Appreciate the help - I guess it just concerned me because it seems stuck at the "awaiting consideration" but I know some departments jump from one stage to the final stages. Thanks for reassuring me - if I don't hear back by mid April I'll feel more comfortable emailing the department. :smile:

I completely understand! In truth, I think mine must have gone straight from "awaiting consideration" to the offer, although I stopped checking on MySIS, and only became aware of the offer after receiving an email from the board.
Sure thing - sounds reasonable! Good luck in any case, and let us know how you get on :smile:
Original post by Iain_Hey
I depends on which colleges you chose as your preferences I believe. My 1st college choice wasn't a super popular one, and got back to me within <1 week, but I'd assume the bigger colleges take longer due to the larger number of applicants

Was actually rejected just now (after being under consideration for 2 days) by Trinity, :redface:.
Original post by AnthApplicant23
I contacted the Trust about the status of my applications (both MPhil, two distinct departments). They told me that they are now reviewing both of them and that I can expect to hear about the outcome by June.
Does that mean that both departments shortlisted me, or does the Trust also consider applicants who weren't put forward by their department??

How did they phrase the email? I was told something very similar, but was told "the majority of decisions will be made in June". So my understanding is that June is simply when you would hear one way or the other (rejection or acceptance). I'm thinking, maybe if they phrased it a certain way, it might be indicative. However, I think it it's most likely does not have any prognostic value.
Original post by haypenny

Does anyone know if, having already got an offer, you automatically get the same college when you get a second offer for a different course? Or does it make the rounds again?

For the future reference of anyone searching: I got the same college. It seems it goes to your already-allocated college first and only if they change their minds does it get sent around again.
Original post by sat0ri
How did they phrase the email? I was told something very similar, but was told "the majority of decisions will be made in June". So my understanding is that June is simply when you would hear one way or the other (rejection or acceptance). I'm thinking, maybe if they phrased it a certain way, it might be indicative. However, I think it it's most likely does not have any prognostic value.

They just wrote something along the lines of "applicants will be informed by June so that those successful can take up their places in October".
I'm just wondering if the fact that they are looking at my applications necessarily means that I was shortlisted by my department...
Maybe the Trust looks at all applications submitted via GRADSAF, regardless of the departments' recommendations?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending