The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rajput05
Hello guys. Can anyone please tell me whether the college we are allocated for our graduate studies at Cambridge can have a significant impact on our career prospects ? I have read that people prefer going to the popular colleges like Trinity etc.
I have been allotted Fitzwilliam college. Would love to hear your views on it as well :smile:

My friend who is there said he doesn't suspect it matters in that regard; in fact, I imagine most people will have no idea about the different colleges, especially as your radius from the school increases. However, he said it might affect how you personally experience attending Cambridge, e.g., the people you meet and the amenities/resources you have access to. Outside of your own subjective experiences though, I don't think so.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hi, I applied for MPhil Development Studies in February and I am still waiting for the department's response. Do you mind sharing your profile so that I can decide whether to continue waiting positively or just preparing for the worst? Thanks a lot in advance.

Original post by matt.3pehr
Hi! My experience with the department is that they are super helpful and friendly about everything, shoot an email to [email protected].

I got my offer of admission for Dev Studies on February 3rd, and as far as I can see from the various posts here, they seem to be sending out offers in 2 or 3 different batches. You might have ended up in the second batch, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were to hear back in the next week or two. A few of my friends who are current students did hear back from the same course, in June last year, but they had literally applied a few days before the end of March deadline, so I can't imagine you would hear back THAT late, as you don't fall within that category.

Good luck! :biggrin: fingers crossed

Original post by matt.3pehr
Hi! My experience with the department is that they are super helpful and friendly about everything, shoot an email to [email protected].

I got my offer of admission for Dev Studies on February 3rd, and as far as I can see from the various posts here, they seem to be sending out offers in 2 or 3 different batches. You might have ended up in the second batch, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were to hear back in the next week or two. A few of my friends who are current students did hear back from the same course, in June last year, but they had literally applied a few days before the end of March deadline, so I can't imagine you would hear back THAT late, as you don't fall within that category.

Good luck! :biggrin: fingers crossed
Hello guys. Can anyone please tell me whether the college we are allocated for our graduate studies at Cambridge can have a significant impact on our career prospects ?

Of course it doesn't have a significant effect - at doctoral level your supervisor/your publications are far more important, at Masters level your grade is more important.

(although there have been times when I've encountered graduates of my college in social or professional situations - it's an instant point of contact)

Original post by QuantMan
Hey,
I was wondering if anybody knows, or has made an open application, if you make an open application does that mean you get allocated after everyone else is done? Is there a higher chance you will get the less "popular" colleges? Or is it all random and you have equal chance of all colleges?

You won't have to wait until everyone else has been allocated - once you get an offer your papers will be passed to whichever college has spaces for candidates with your profile (subject/nationality/age/other factors). Colleges like to have a diverse graduate community.

Plenty of information about the exact procedure further back in this thread, so have a look through it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello guys. Can anyone please tell me whether the college we are allocated for our graduate studies at Cambridge can have a significant impact on our career prospects ? I have read that people prefer going to the popular colleges like Trinity etc.
I have been allotted Fitzwilliam college. Would love to hear your views on it as well :smile:

It's very important you understand that it's nearly impossible to give a definite answer to such a question. Being an alumnus or alumna of a college may influence who you can network with (e.g. Jesus college has chapters throughout the world) but whether it influences on your career prospects is entirely dependent on the situation and person interviewing you.

Quite honestly, I will be putting Cambridge University on my CV with no mention of college.
Hello people
Thanks for your response. I just got a diagnostic test from the language assesment centre. I just wanted to know whether it's difficultly levell is same as those of other tests like TOEFL/IELTS.
I am in a strange position at the moment. Oxford has confirmed that I do not need to sit a language test as part of my conditional offer while Cambridge does. They are different institutions, I am aware of that, but surely if Oxford is satisfied with my English knowledge, then what gives Cambridge the doubt and hence the need to reject my language waiver?

Given that my undergraduate degree (English taught) is only two-years long and not the conventional three years, it does not qualify for Cambridge's language waiver. But if that is such a great issue, how come Oxford has agreed to a language waiver? Why is Cambridge not evaluating this matter from a more individualistic perspective, rather than standardly rejecting my language waiver?

My question: Can I discuss this matter with Cambridge and refer to Oxford's decision to waive my language test in an attempt to perhaps have them waive their language condition?
Perhaps if you discuss it in English in the telephone they can see for themselves how things stand.
Original post by Alexander I

Given that my undergraduate degree (English taught) is only two-years long and not the conventional three years, it does not qualify for Cambridge's language waiver.

In which country did you do your undergraduate degree? Cambridge don't just want to know whether you can cope with teaching in English, but also whether you've had experience of living in an English-speaking country.

In my experience, this might possibly be waived for someone who has done a three-year undergrad, plus a one-year Masters, in England (ie has spent 4 years using English as their main academic and social language) but not for an applicant who has done a two-year degree, taught in English, but otherwise using a different language for everyday things.

My question: Can I discuss this matter with Cambridge and refer to Oxford's decision to waive my language test in an attempt to perhaps have them waive their language condition?

No. You really shouldn't do this. Ring Cambridge by all means, but NEVER compare their decision to that of another university.

Wouldn't it just be easier to do the test though? - Cambridge might wonder why you want to avoid it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys! Was wondering if any of you can tell me more about the application process for Psychology?

I applied for the MPhil in Social & Developmental Psych on January 6 and have been "under consideration of department" for 2,5 months now. I mailed the graduate secretary and she said my supervisor was interested in supervising me and asked if I already had an interview but didn't respond to my follow up email...

I had a Skype meeting at the 5th of January with my potential supervisor (Claire Hughes) and wrote a proposal which we then discussed. Supervisor said she was impressed and wished me the best of luck, but other then that, I haven't heard from her since. Dyou guys know if it's normal for psych department to take this long? If anyone has experience/any insights into this process, that'd help me a lot! :wink:

Thanks for your help! x
I just had a Skype interview with my potential supervisor for an MPhil in Geography. (Before that I had asked him for advice and feedback while writing my proposal.) In the interview, he asked me how I'd rank myself in my graduating class, why I wanted to do this MPhil, and particularly why Cambridge. The second half of the interview was more about preparations for MPhil and opportunities to go beyond MPhil. He answered most of my questions with a positive tone. The interview lasted 1 hour and 19 mins. It gave me a sense of what to expect once I'm in Cambridge, and what I could possibly offer to the Cambridge community. It was an overall enjoyable experience :smile: Something I've learnt from the admissions process is - Cambridge really cares about the well-being of students.
Original post by Bumbling Bee
Hi! I'm in a similar position. I applied for Social and Developmental Psychology at the end of January and had an interview in March. Still at the 'Under Consideration by Department' stage. I emailed my potential supervisor about a week and a half ago and she said that I should hear soon so I'm trying my best to be patient. Good luck with your application! I hope we both find out soon! :smile:

Hey! I'm currently doing the MPhil in Social and Developmental Psych and while I have no insight into your specific admissions process right now I can generally say that the department has been struggling with the administrative side of things for a while and have been very slow with a lot of things so it isn't necessarily a bad sign that they're taking this long! Also if you or Rose224 have any questions about the course, feel free to DM me.
Reply 2571
Hi, had an interview on Friday and im pleased to say I was given an informal offer of a PhD :smile: I was wondering if anyone has had a grade requirement attached to their PhD offer? I don't want to celebrate too much too soon.

I honestly don't think it's wise to try and nudge them into agreeing. I understand your dilemma as I was forced to also sit an English test to prove my ability (even though my undergraduate degree was in English).

To be perfectly honest, the IELTS is not too difficult and getting the required 7.5 is possible with some preparation.
Original post by zpereira
Hey! I'm currently doing the MPhil in Social and Developmental Psych and while I have no insight into your specific admissions process right now I can generally say that the department has been struggling with the administrative side of things for a while and have been very slow with a lot of things so it isn't necessarily a bad sign that they're taking this long! Also if you or Rose224 have any questions about the course, feel free to DM me.

Ahh okay! Thanks for your reply, at least that gives a different angle to the waiting process. I know its Cambridge and that they get a lot of applications, but the psych website said that the admission process would take around 2 months..but I guess I'll just have to hang on a bit longer. I might contact you about the course when I know more about admission, thanks for your help!! :smile:
Original post by Bumbling Bee
Hi! I'm in a similar position. I applied for Social and Developmental Psychology at the end of January and had an interview in March. Still at the 'Under Consideration by Department' stage. I emailed my potential supervisor about a week and a half ago and she said that I should hear soon so I'm trying my best to be patient. Good luck with your application! I hope we both find out soon! :smile:

Ahw hey, you too!;p great to hear that i'm not the only one! I might also mail my supervisor then, cause the graduate secretary is not very responsive...but at least you already had an interview! How was it?! I'm not even sure if my skype conversation counted as a real interview or if it just was about the proposal and that im still awaiting an official interview invitation haha :P Hope we hear something soon! Fingers crossed haha :smile:
Original post by emilygoingtocam
Hi, I applied for MPhil Development Studies in February and I am still waiting for the department's response. Do you mind sharing your profile so that I can decide whether to continue waiting positively or just preparing for the worst? Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Emily,

I applied for MPhil Development Studies in December, finished and submitted all relevant documents around Christmas time. So that means I'm approaching 4 months of waiting time now and my camsis status is still "Awaiting consideration by department". (I'm a home applicant by the way) Another member here apparently got in touch with the department and was informed that the next board of admissions meeting for the department was on 19th April, so depending which pile/batch/where in the pile you are, you may expect an outcome soon after this date, however there is no saying how long it might take them.

If it really bugs you and if you still haven't heard anything, then by all means email the department admissions, however no news is better than bad news! :biggrin:

Hope this has helped a little bit, and best of luck!
Original post by JmXXX
Hi, had an interview on Friday and im pleased to say I was given an informal offer of a PhD :smile: I was wondering if anyone has had a grade requirement attached to their PhD offer? I don't want to celebrate too much too soon.

Congratulations for your PhD offer!

I have also a conditional offer for a PhD (in Law). It has a grade requirement, though, which is listed as "Non-standard academic cond" on Camsis, and specifies that I must at least reach a 14.5 grade (out of 20) at the end of my (French) master.

It is more annoying than truly an issue, to be fair; and I have been told that they can be flexible if you don't quite reach the level they set.
Reply 2577
Btw, has anybody heard about college scholarships?
Reply 2578
Original post by d1993
Btw, has anybody heard about college scholarships?

which College scholarships did you apply to? The colleges have quite different schedules regarding their scholarships. Peterhouse seems to be evaluating the applications atm and should announce results around May. Deadline for St John's benefactors scholarship was just now and (referring to recent years) results may be expected late April/early May. Other colleges announce results only in June (e.g. Christ's I think) and for others the deadline hasn't passed yet. There may have been some awards already but I think the majority won't come out before end of April...
Reply 2579

What does your language condition on camsis say? Sometimes BoGS leaves you the option to have an assessment with the language centre. If your camsis doesn't show this option, you could maybe ask BoGS whether that would be an opportunity (instead of an IELTS test). If the language centre is satisfied with your English skills, they may recommend a waiver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending