The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flypusher
Thanks for replying!

Only a few informal ones with potential supervisors when I was applying for MS in the US. One did not go well at all and the other one was not very intensive since the interviewer seemed kind of desperate....but never with more than one person in a formal setting. Could I get a general idea about a Skype (or worse a phone interview)? What are the general etiquette involved?

One of the principle challenges I found was not talking about the interviewer (mainly due to the delay). I was told me my mentor to always wait a few seconds after the interviewer has finished asking a question to make sure he/she does not have any further things to specify before answering the question. I'm not sure if you'll be required to turn the camera on but if this is the case make sure you're well dressed and in a room with the camera facing the wall (ideally away from your bed).

I interviewed in person for Oxford (for undergraduate) but I have done numerous job interviews via Skype and this was the advice I was given.

Good luck!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Have a PhD interview coming up in a matter of days for the CCA PhD. Could anyone shed should light on what to expect? Really hoping it is not like the undergrad interviews all over again!! In particular, what should I prepare for, and what type of technical questions will be asked?

Thanks a lot.
My supervisor at Cambridge just emailed me to ask for a skype interview for the MPhil in World History which is fantastic news but has now reduced me down to a bag of nerves. I had assumed interviews were for Phd applicants! :s-smilie: Any tips guys?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by omgwhat
My supervisor at Cambridge just emailed me to ask for a skype interview for the MPhil in World History which is fantastic news but has now reduced me down to a bag of nerves. I had assumed interviews were for Phd applicants! :s-smilie: Any tips guys?

You had initially been rejected, no? Or am I mistaking you for someone else?
Reply 864
Original post by Josb
History.

"To help the Faculty to judge the ability and preparedness of applicants, a sample of written work must be included with all applications. The piece should preferably be a sample of current work (even work in progress), not more than 15 pages in length."

Source: http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-graduates/prospective-phd-guidance#section-36
Original post by omgwhat

Well done! Who is your supervisor and what university was your undergraduate? Familiarise yourself with your supervisor's academic approach and think about continuities from your previous course. Above all show your interest and academic discipline
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everybody :smile: am international applicant , applying for Mphil in pathology, submitted all department requirements on 16/12 which was the deadline for Gates cam scholarship that am applying for too...I really hope that am gonna catch it ...these days am checking my self-service account like every 2 seconds and still the ( under consideration by the department) ...I don't what is happening right now :frown:....waiting is killing....meanwhile am gonna test the ilets comming February for english competency....anyone here now when am going to hear something or will be e.mailed ???
Original post by Aceadria
You had initially been rejected, no? Or am I mistaking you for someone else?

Yes, I was rejected for the MPhil in Modern European History. However, soon after I was contacted by a supervisor at Cambridge and told to apply for the MPhil in World History instead as my thesis was more suited to it. Essentially just going through the process again, except I didn't get an interview last time.
Original post by omgwhat
Yes, I was rejected for the MPhil in Modern European History. However, soon after I was contacted by a supervisor at Cambridge and told to apply for the MPhil in World History instead as my thesis was more suited to it. Essentially just going through the process again, except I didn't get an interview last time.

Oh, I thought as much! This is fantastic news! You've definitely caught their attention, which is very good news!
Reply 869
Has anyone heard back from the Land Economy Department yet? I have applied for the MPhil in Environmental Policy and my application is on "under consideration by department" since December 4. Any news would be appreciated.
Reply 870
Original post by Impune
"To help the Faculty to judge the ability and preparedness of applicants, a sample of written work must be included with all applications. The piece should preferably be a sample of current work (even work in progress), not more than 15 pages in length."

Source: http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-graduates/prospective-phd-guidance#section-36

Thanks!
It didn't say anything about the length there:
http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-graduates/apply/application/apply-checklist-writing

Original post by omgwhat

That's a bit crazy! :biggrin:

Did they ask you to pay the application fee again?
Original post by Josb

That's a bit crazy! :biggrin:

Did they ask you to pay the application fee again?

I had to make a separate application, so yes! :biggrin: But I don't mind really because if it means I'll get a better shot at it, it's definitely worth it. My interview will be sometime this week - I got an email from my supervisor asking me when I was available. I'm quite nervous though! I know the things I want to say but the waiting game is killing me here haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh, I thought as much! This is fantastic news! You've definitely caught their attention, which is very good news!

Yeah, good news so far!
One of the principle challenges I found was not talking about the interviewer (mainly due to the delay). I was told me my mentor to always wait a few seconds after the interviewer has finished asking a question to make sure he/she does not have any further things to specify before answering the question. I'm not sure if you'll be required to turn the camera on but if this is the case make sure you're well dressed and in a room with the camera facing the wall (ideally away from your bed).

I interviewed in person for Oxford (for undergraduate) but I have done numerous job interviews via Skype and this was the advice I was given.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips!! I will try to remember to be patient :biggrin:
Original post by omgwhat

Lol, I always knew there was a good reason for them making that suggestion to you.

All the best for the interview; I'm sure you'll be just fine! :biggrin:
Original post by Indeterminate
Lol, I always knew there was a good reason for them making that suggestion to you.

All the best for the interview; I'm sure you'll be just fine! :biggrin:

Ah that's sweet of you, thank you very much. I hope so! I'm preparing responses to potential issues with my idea and how I'd tackle them in case my supervisor decides to pick at it etc.

Good luck with everything!
Original post by omgwhat
Ah that's sweet of you, thank you very much. I hope so! I'm preparing responses to potential issues with my idea and how I'd tackle them in case my supervisor decides to pick at it etc.

Good luck with everything!

Ah, that seems like a good way to prepare :biggrin:

Many thanks! :smile: Fortunately I didn't have to write a proposal for my application (Part III of the Mathematical Tripos), and I won't have to attend an interview either :h:

Oxford are driving me nuts with their requirements, however :s-smilie:
Reply 877
Original post by Indeterminate
Oxford are driving me nuts with their requirements, however :s-smilie:

Is Oxford or Cambridge known as being much better for maths than the other?
Any news from my engineering fellas?
Original post by dreambabydream
Well done! Who is your supervisor and what university was your undergraduate? Familiarise yourself with your supervisor's academic approach and think about continuities from your previous course. Above all show your interest and academic discipline

I am currently attending a Russell Group university ranked in the top ten in the country. :smile: Thank you, I have already been doing that. Hopefully all should be well!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending