Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Anyone got any news this dreary Monday?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1041
To those who applied to Trinity, do you know what they want to see in the "additional information"?
It says: "Please provide any additional information which may be of significance to the Electors."

Do they want another personal statement?
Original post by Josb
To those who applied to Trinity, do you know what they want to see in the "additional information"?
It says: "Please provide any additional information which may be of significance to the Electors."

Do they want another personal statement?

When I have seen that on academic job applications, it is usually a place to put relevant things that you couldn't include on the application form/statement. For instance, I applied to a couple of jobs that had a set form with boxes to fill in re: education etc., but since they didn't ask for a full CV, I couldn't include extra stuff I'd done, such as running a seminar series. So I put it there. I think you can also add information about any extenuating circumstances if you wish. I wouldn't write another personal statement, as they'll have the one you submitted with the application and it won't benefit you to duplicate information. Just my 2 cents, others might have a different interpretation.
Oh my god my application is awaiting BoGS

Oh my god
Original post by ggggg123

Oh my god

When did this happen? CONGRATS!
Reply 1045
Original post by gutenberg
When I have seen that on academic job applications, it is usually a place to put relevant things that you couldn't include on the application form/statement. For instance, I applied to a couple of jobs that had a set form with boxes to fill in re: education etc., but since they didn't ask for a full CV, I couldn't include extra stuff I'd done, such as running a seminar series. So I put it there. I think you can also add information about any extenuating circumstances if you wish. I wouldn't write another personal statement, as they'll have the one you submitted with the application and it won't benefit you to duplicate information. Just my 2 cents, others might have a different interpretation.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Do you know if I can nominate a different referee for the college application? He's a not an academic, but a Cambridge graduate and British and still has an "intellectual job".

My problem is that Trinity says "two referees acquainted with your academic work and whom you have asked to send assessments of your academic standing." I interpret this as they must be the same as those you listed in the GRADSAF.

Oh my god

Well done! You've been accepted!
Original post by Josb
Thanks, I'll do that.

Do you know if I can nominate a different referee for the college application? He's a not an academic, but a Cambridge graduate and British and still has an "intellectual job".

My problem is that Trinity says "two referees acquainted with your academic work and whom you have asked to send assessments of your academic standing." I interpret this as they must be the same as those you listed in the GRADSAF.

I honestly don't know. Reading their requirements, I took it to mean that they want someone who knows you & your work, and who has agreed to write for you (you'd probably be surprised at the number of people who nominate referees without properly telling them!). So you probably could use someone else, if you felt this would make a difference- why do you want them for this, but not the app to the History Faculty?
Original post by Josb
Thanks, I'll do that.

Is there a second application for applying to Trinity, or are all these questions relating to GRADSAF?

When I entered "additional information" I strayed from academic stuff, since that's essentially what the entire rest of the application was about. I talked about my involvement in student life, what I thought I brought to the table as a member of a college community, etc.
I'm trying not to freak out until I get an official offer, but it is a struggle

That bit is accurate :lol:

But you're fine :thumbsup:
Reply 1050
Original post by Impune
Is there a second application for applying to Trinity, or are all these questions relating to GRADSAF?

When I entered "additional information" I strayed from academic stuff, since that's essentially what the entire rest of the application was about. I talked about my involvement in student life, what I thought I brought to the table as a member of a college community, etc.

It's another application for Trinity's special scholarships. It's another online form.

I didn't mention that at all. I'm not American. :biggrin:

Original post by gutenberg
I honestly don't know. Reading their requirements, I took it to mean that they want someone who knows you & your work, and who has agreed to write for you (you'd probably be surprised at the number of people who nominate referees without properly telling them!). So you probably could use someone else, if you felt this would make a difference- why do you want them for this, but not the app to the History Faculty?

Ok, I'll keep my first idea then. It's just for a single scholarship anyway, we'll be 50 on it. :lol:
Original post by Josb
Ok, I'll keep my first idea then. It's just for a single scholarship anyway, we'll be 50 on it. :lol:

Ok then. Having a non-academic reference might help you stand out a bit, but I honestly don't know how scholarships are decided - sometimes it can seem so random. Good luck!
Reply 1052
I just woke up (it's almost 9am here) and checked (as usual) and it had changed!!!!!!

It went straight firm awaiting consideration by the department to that

Exactly what happened to my application, haha, which is why I think people should stop stressing over dissecting every minute change on Camsis.

Congrats!
Original post by sj27
Exactly what happened to my application, haha, which is why I think people should stop stressing over dissecting every minute change on Camsis.

Congrats!

^But that's easier said than done :lol:

Congrats to you, too! :biggrin:
I just woke up (it's almost 9am here) and checked (as usual) and it had changed!!!!!!

It went straight firm awaiting consideration by the department to that

That's fantastic, I'm very happy for you! :biggrin:
Reply 1055
THANKS! I hope your offer comes through soon!!

What about funding?
I haven't actually applied for any funding yet. There are a few scholarships from my country that I'll be targeting once I get an official offer through, plus I'm hopeful I'll get into a college that'll have some options.

I have savings too - I've been working full time in a relatively well-paying job since I graduated, and will be doing so up until I move to the UK.

To be honest, though, going to Cambridge is as much my parents' dream as it is mine, and they are willing to help me out (especially since I have some locked-away grandparent-will money that was supposed to be for education or a house or something).

Thank you about your earlier comment, I'm really hoping that the interview was the final, successful hurdle in this long and tiring battle.

Your parents sound just like mine, my mother is willing to pay for essentially everything which is why I'm even more eager to get in. When I read your comments though all I can think is, like, "YAY IT'S ALL WORKING OUT FOR HIM/HER.. ALL THESE WEEKS ARE NOW WORTH IT FOR SOMEBODY!"

What college did you choose? :h:
Reply 1057
Well I definitely think you deserve it - I've been following your story and it looks agonising!! But yes - I think you'll be ok.

(I'm a her by the way :smile:)

I chose Queens & Clare - for absolutely no reason at all other than I thought 'oh, they look nice' when I got to that part of the application. I'm actually sort of hoping I don't get into Queens, as it doesn't look like there's much funding available!! But I honestly don't mind where I end up.

If you are suitable for other scholarships, they jumble you around. I've got lots of friends who were quite firmly settled on a college and then another college rung them up several months later like FYI we got lots more money, choose us instead?
Well I definitely think you deserve it - I've been following your story and it looks agonising!! But yes - I think you'll be ok.

(I'm a her by the way :smile:)

I chose Queens & Clare - for absolutely no reason at all other than I thought 'oh, they look nice' when I got to that part of the application. I'm actually sort of hoping I don't get into Queens, as it doesn't look like there's much funding available!! But I honestly don't mind where I end up.

Thank you - that's really sweet of you to say!

I had picked St. John and Christ's though I don't really mind anywhere. I would prefer more central/old college for convenience and aesthetics but who cares really. :P You must really be browsing through everything Cambridge now! The city, the colleges, scholarships, facilities.. that's what I'd be doing after celebrating for a few nights straight! I hope you go to a place where they throw money at you. :biggrin:
Original post by Impune
"To help the Faculty to judge the ability and preparedness of applicants, a sample of written work must be included with all applications. The piece should preferably be a sample of current work (even work in progress), not more than 15 pages in length."

Source: http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-graduates/prospective-phd-guidance#section-36

Can it be multiple essays joined together? I don't have a piece anywhere near 15 pages yet (I've just started my dissertation)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending