The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Original post by Alexander I
If you have no college preference whatsoever, is there an advantage/disadvantage when making an open application?

Youu won't qualify for most college scholarships if you don't state a preference.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by EMD026
Yes. I was accepted on November 17th. When did you apply?

I applied in January. Hopefully I still have a shot
Original post by psea
Hey anyone heard back from PhD Architecture? I had an interview mid-Jan. No news since. Status is still "under consideration by department"

I had my interview for the MAUS programme 4 weeks ago, but still haven't heard back. My application status is still "under consideration by department" as well. From what I've seen on gradcafe last year offers were made mid-February.
Original post by Jantaculum
Of course - the Faculty of Education is amazing :wink:

Thanks - both the Cambridge PGCE and Homerton threads are dead.
I just found out today that Homerton have offered me membership, and I would like it to be September already!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
Yay see you there!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
yess! Just waiting for a college now, cannot wait :smile:
Original post by tsukurutazaki
Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies for Multidisciplinary Gender Studies so I guess that means I'm in. Good luck to those still waiting!

Congratultions!! You must be thrilled :smile:. Did your supervisor conduct an interview beforehand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone here know the intake ratio for the MPhil in Development Studies?
Original post by Josb
Youu won't qualify for most college scholarships if you don't state a preference.

With "most college scholarships" you refer to scholarships offered by two colleges, do you not? (given that you can only choose two colleges per application).

If I am an open applicant, does this mean that they will review my application later on (pooling), as no college has been chosen in the application form? Do you reckon there is a pile of open applications that they save for later when the more college specific applications have been dealt with? This matter worries me a little bit to be honest.
Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies for Multidisciplinary Gender Studies so I guess that means I'm in. Good luck to those still waiting!

Yay! What did I tell you? :biggrin:

Yay, welcome to the club! :party:

It's nice to see that more and more people are getting good news! :h:
Reply 1470
With "most college scholarships" you refer to scholarships offered by two colleges, do you not? (given that you can only choose two colleges per application).

If I am an open applicant, does this mean that they will review my application later on (pooling), as no college has been chosen in the application form? Do you reckon there is a pile of open applications that they save for later when the more college specific applications have been dealt with? This matter worries me a little bit to be honest.

Most colleges require you to list them as first choice to be eligible to their scholarships.

If you don't state a college, the university will send your application to 5 colleges, which will rapidly make a decision. If they like you, they'll take you without making you wait.
Reply 1471
Original post by Indeterminate

It's nice to see that more and more people are getting good news! :h:

:cry:
Original post by Phate18
I just got an email inviting me to a Skype interview for AHRC funding for the MPhil in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics!

Excited but also nervous. The interviewers are a syntactician and a computational linguist, which are probably the two fields that are the furthers from what I would like to do (comparative Indo-European philology). Maybe that's a good thing?

Congratulations! I also applied for Theoretical and Applied Linguistics (PhD), application is with BoGS at the moment. Did you have an interview for admission, or is this the first one you have?

Don't think of it as 'pooling' - that's something that refers to undergrad admissions, where people who are worthy of a place at Cambridge are put into the 'pool' from which other colleges can select.

For postgrad admissions, once your application has landed on the desk of the college postgrad admissions officer, it will be considered. If they can offer you a place (bearing in mind the people who they have already accepted) they will do so. If not they will return your application to BoGS who will pass it on to another college. They don't 'hold' open applications (I'm not sure if they even know whether they are your first choice, second choice or not a choice at all). What they might do is hold all applications for a week then review all that week's applications together.

It is a good idea to put a college as your first choice if it has appropriate scholarships though
(edited 8 years ago)
People are hearing back from Gender studies and I'm here in 'Under consideration by department'

Not looking good...😭
Reply 1475
Original post by Jantaculum
(I'm not sure if they even know whether they are your first choice, second choice or not a choice at all).

They must know since they ask you to list them as first choice for their scholarships.

:console:

You'll be fine! :yep:
Original post by Josb
Most colleges require you to list them as first choice to be eligible to their scholarships.

This.
Reply 1478
Does anyone here know the intake ratio for the MPhil in Development Studies?

Bit out of date but traditionally around 40% of applicants get offers, so one of the easier MPhils to get into. As is usual, only about half of those actually end up taking up those offers.

https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/gpdev.html#admissions
I've applied to Cambridge for an MPhil in Music Studies, and have been invited for an interview next Wednesday (10th Feb). Needless to say I'm very nervous, and of course also suitably excited! But mainly nervous. Seriously nervous.

Does anybody here have any experience of postgraduate interviews/Cambridge interviews/the music faculty at Cambridge/etc?

I'd really appreciate any insights/advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending